Woman finds croc in pool

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would make for a grand photo oportunity! Snakes in one's back yard is pretty awsome but I bet I could really freak out my americal pen pals with photos of crocs in my swimming pool! :)

It made The Age web site also:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...o extend - there can be no other explanation!

It is global warming, it is causing there natural range to extend - there can be no other explanation!

you never know. if global warming occurs slowly alot of tropical species will start being able to colonise southwards.

interesting article, thanks for posting it

Andrew

It's a combination of global warming and not exfoliating properly. Let this be a warning to you, or you too could have skin like that croc!

Crocs could be coming from Narrabeen Lake

Yeah, we get them alot in Sydney :lol:

Seriously though, this Freshwater Crocodile was found in Belrose, not far from Cromer where the other croc was found.

The Australian Reptile Park spokeswoman Mary Rayner said,
"The closest river is Pittwater but you wouldn't have crocodiles swimming in there,"
This is not correct!

Pittwater (which is not a river, it's a harbour) is not connected by any waterways to Belrose.
It's a totally different catchment system that's separated by Mona Vale Road which is the main ridge.
In fact, depending on which side of Forest Way the house was located, it could have come from one of two drainage systems.
Forest Way, which is the main road through Belrose, runs along a main ridge separating two different catchment systems. The one to the west of Forest Way drains into Middle Harbour and the other to the east drains into Narrabeen Lake.
The Saltwater Croc caught the other day was found in Cromer, which is not far from Belrose and depending on exactly where they were found, could be as little 3-4 kms away from each other.
Here's the interesting bit. Creeks in Cromer also drain into Narrabeen Lake, like those in east Belrose.
This means that both crocs could have potentially come from Narrabeen Lake ! :idea:

Has someone been releasing crocs in Narrabeen Lake :?:

Just a thought.

By the way, it's amazing how the two newspapers can get such different stories from what was probably the same press release!
No wonder there's so much misinformation out there :roll:

The Daily Telegraph reported:-
...captured in a Sydney swimming pool yesterday after it bailed up a woman hanging out her washing.

... mother was putting the washing on the line when she heard a violent thrashing sound coming from the swimming pool.

"She must have spooked it because it jumped out of the water and on to the grass," he said.

"We will probably keep this one at the Australian Reptile Park."

55cm reptile

Whereas The Advertiser reported:-
...she went to take a dip in her backyard swimming pool...

Reptile Park officials are yet to decide if they can keep the visitor.

...a 53cm freshwater crocodile...

Same event and supposedly the same story, only the details are different :? :roll:

I think it is safe to assume that there is this much error in most news stories... particularly those in the general interest category such as this on.

When ever being interviewed by media do not stray from the message you want to put across. Try and keep it pretty brief. Even if you give them very little leway to screw it up they will usually make a complete balls up of the real story.

I think it is safe to assume that there is this much error in most news stories...
Even if you give them very little leway to screw it up they will usually make a complete balls up of the real story.

Well said Herptrader. Very true ! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back