Woma's in Vic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dee4

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why a Woma comes under schedule 4 and you need an advanced licence in the Vic regs and Blackheades are in schedule 3 and you only need a Basic licence. :?

It seems a little odd to me that these 2 are Aspidites but are listed different..!! :roll:

Interesting question? have a look at where scrubs fit the bill!!! The DSE are constantly revising what species are on what schedule, so maybe both Aspidites will end up on the same schedule? Although i don't think the husbandry needs of either species are that difficult to fullfill in captivity. It is puzzling though!!

Cheers Rossco.

I have asked the same question to the DSE and they can't answer either, they have handballed to the WAGLS group which is another department the of the DSE. STill waiting.... wont hold my breath. :oops:

It's because they are rare in captivity and possibly because of a perception that they are rare in the wild. At the time the schedules were written there were very few in captivity. It's possible that if they're bred successfully and the captive population rises enough, the department will move them to a lower schedule. This usually causes a large price jump.

As for scrubbies, there have been people campaigning to put them to a higher schedule, along with other species such as lacies. The pet shops would then be unable to sell them to little kids and so they fight the move, successfully.

re Womas

Got to have different categories Dee4 yeh in nsw they are on cat 2 because something has to be up there,if there was nothing on cat 2 there would onley ever have been a single category,thats how bureaucracy works ,dont worry,be happy :lol:

re Woma's

OK D4 ive got the lists in front of me for NSW ,at a glance you have mary river turtle which is endangered and not common in captivity in class 1 and the broad shelled turtle which is more common in captivity and breeds well in class 2.Monitors is up and down all over the place with storrs in class2 and stuff and woma on class 2.There was over 300 in captivity in NSW alone i think last year and that will go up and who knows someone who has found a woma in NSW,would you bother going out looking for a wild one here.I suppose you have to have a few things in the higher category to entice people to sign up.Keeps australians in work Dee4 and thats not a bad thing,were all about service and most manufacturing has moved or is going to move to china and india :D

Spoke to Wild life licencing today infact, Sdaji is on the money. It's as simple as the 5 key rule, conservation,Husbandry, Numbers, Health & safety and Pest control. These were the things that got looked at when they made up the different section. And of course for reptiles that are not highly populated will be in a higher section and as they become more popular, not only in victoria, they MAY change the same as Blackheadeds. In short....when the listing was made back in 1992, the Woma wasn't a popular reptile in Vic...ie:(by returns) so it got put in a higher section. I would pressume Zulu it is the same in NSW.

re Womas

PMSL :lol: The old five key rule hey D4,works every time,typical mumbo jumbo,if you go through the species in NSW at least its hard to see how they got there even with the old five key rule trick.More like theres a little meeting of the disciples and they put them up and down with firm reasons and so and so needs one up or down for his own benefit or a mates and it happens,thats showbizz :D

Yep, you can only hope that they drink alot of grog at their powwows. Atleast they would be keeping somebody in a job other than themselves.

re Womas

LOL :lol: yeh keeps someone in a job and thats not a bad thing for society D4,i heard recently whgere theyve started outsourcing even govt functions overseas,i outsourced my bodily fuctions overseas,this was good thing love me long time :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back