Woma's wont feed ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzypython

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to snakes I've had my woma's for about 2weeks now and as far as I know they haven't eaten for roughly 4 weeks. I have no idea if they've been fed frozen or live food. The snakes r 10 months old. I have tried feeding them live mice but they don't seem the slightest bit interested and the mice just run all over them. The snakes start wiggling thier tails and flicking thier tongues when they smell the mice but wont try to eat them. How often should the woma's eat and what feeding methods can I try. I have heard woma's r usually good feeders so maybe mine just arent hungry. 1 of them did just shed a couple days ago if that means anything.

Please do not put live rodents in with your pythons. There is no reason, excuse, or need to do this. There is always a reason a python won't eat.
Top reasons are generally stress and/or incorrect temperatures.

Have a read through these threads -

Tips for Newbies thread!

Having Trouble Feeding

Please Help

so worried:(

There will be heaps more threads that I just haven't found, scroll to the bottom of this page, there are more there.
They can go a while before you really need to worry.

Last edited:
well they only have a heat rock they get on to warm themselves, as I said I am still learning. Is there something I should have in the tank to keep it at a certain temp ? and what temp should it be at ?

Check out the wiki section up the top of the page.Better to do your own research then ask questions about things you aren't sure on.

well they only have a heat rock they get on to warm themselves, as I said I am still learning. Is there something I should have in the tank to keep it at a certain temp ? and what temp should it be at ?

Generally, you would use a heat mat (underneath the enclosure) or a heat lamp/globe with a protective cage around it depending on the type of enclosure they are in.
Whatever heat source you use, it should be controlled by a thermostat.
And ideally, they should be in separate enclosures?
Maybe they are, you don't say.

You can put a cloth over the enclosures so that movement doesn't scare them while they are settling in.
They need a 'warm' end and a 'cool' end preferably with hides at each end. What temps are you getting at each end?
And no handling except to clean for a week or two at least.

Last edited:
A reason a snake might not eat is if the food isn't the right size. I always tell people that a snake is unlikely to bite you unless it feels threatened because it knows you are way too big to eat. A snake's food should be no larger than its widest section. Even if a snake does eat food that is too large, it can cause them to regurgitate or be sick. Remember, particularly with constrictors, that food can be too small. A full grown Burmese python can't eat a little rat. Not only is it not enough food to be worth killing, it also is too small to properly kill without risking being bitten or scratched. However, if your snake skips several feedings, you should take it to a vet and make sure it isn't sick (or sooner if it is showing other signs of illness).

Cheers hope it helps!

IMO heatrocks are a complete waste of $$$ a heat cord-mat would be your better option..When you purchased them,were they feeding,did you get a feed chart,having a Aspidities not feeding is usually strange,as they are very food orientated...IMO i would get a heat cord-mat and place under cage,click-clack leave alone for a week or so,then try a nice warm mouse-rat,if temperatures are good and there not stressing they should eat..Also place into a room etc where there is less traffic,noise etc.

Also the snakes r in a fairly busy part of my house and they could possibly be stressed due to noise etc

This has to be a wind up. I can't imagine someone who with so little knowledge on everything else being able to draw this conclusion.

If not - call the breeder as you will need to have a lengthy chat with them to learn how to keep these animals alive.

Ok so I finally got things sorted with my woma's. xxMelissaxx please don't be so quick to assume I know so little I just wanted a bit of advice. Thanks everyone else for your advice. I wasn't prepared at all when I got the woma's, the guy I bought them off is a mate of my husband and my husband went to visit him and came home with woma's when he knew I didn't have the enclosure set up and I had no idea there would be 2 of them. I will also add I wasn't planning on getting snakes, I wanted to get a turtle as I have 4 young children and thought a turtle would be more suitable. I knew very little about woma's if anything at all. But after some searching on the net etc I had some luck with them. My husband built 2 enclosures out of wood and perspex. 120L, 40H, 40W, a 30watt heat globe for each tank and the cages to put around the globes, 1 woma has an old budgie nest box for hide and the other has a big skull(fish tank ornament) the hot end on each is between 30-33 degrees and the cool end is 22-25. They have eaten 2 mice each (frozen mice) and the noise from my children obviously doesn't bother them at all.

I didn't just assume it, it was clear as day in the above post..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back