woodies on the run

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterwookie

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am trying to start a woodie colony I got the tub put mesh into the lid painted it with tefflon paint had the whole set up ready to go put about 500 woodies into it and they walk straight up and over the painted section please help the wife will kill me if there are woodies everwhere how do you stop them from climbing out of the container ?????
thanks guys

i find a really thin coating of vaso works better than fluon, my vaso's been on for over 2 years and they still wont go over it, even when all the egg cartons are out and i'm cleaning it, Fluon needs regular re doing.

Fluon* works for me, they get to the painted stripe along the top of the box and can go no further, will last you a long time as you only have to use a little bit of the stuff on each woody box.

I am guessing that what you are referring to as Teflon paint is actually fluon.

I paint about 100mm around the top of the tub. You only need a thin layer which should be quite smooth. Painted to thickly it can have a textured surface giving the little buggers a food hold.

if where the woodies are kept is too warm the vaseline will run. Also its alot more messy than fluon.

3 inches of Vasiline around the top....put some cheese cloth or thin breathable cloth over the top with a rubber band...... ther fly over the fluon too!

woodies dont fly

fluon from the HerpShop is the best stuff to use. Vaso is just a mess.

Just wondering has anyone tried a strip of packing tape along the top??
Read somewhere that it seems to work with crickets not being able to grip It, because It's pretty slippery.

Zdogs - Haven't tried it , however, Woodies are much harder to keep in than crickets - for example - Woodies climb GLASS! :D

Just wondering has anyone tried a strip of packing tape along the top??
Read somewhere that it seems to work with crickets not being able to grip It, because It's pretty slippery.

I tried it, it does not work with woodies at all. They go straight over it.

I hate vasoline, it's messy and it runs and gets roach poop stuck to it. Fluon is the way to go.

bug spray always works well to keep them enclosed.give it a go pete. i'm sure your 2 beardies wouldn't mind. easy meal. jokes

maybe mine are special..... ive seen the buggers fly!
i use a flip top bin ...great for ventilation & stops the cats trying to catch the crickets...well trained!
i use the vasiline & put netting over the top.... big crickets jump....big woodies fly!
dont end up with many big ones as Mr.Merlin loves to crunch them!

I've found that fluon works well but i did once have one walk over it much to my horror. Woodies are SO much easier to deal with then crickets. You can neglect them as much as you want and they'll still be fine! So easy to just shake an egg carton of them into the cage or not too hard to catch with feeding tweezers!

Also mine are in a plastic storage box with the lid it came with, with holes (i need a lid cause i knock stuff over all the time) and some fluon. Works great for me so far! Sometimes the little ones find it easier to climb over the fluon, but vaseline is just soooo messy i could never get it off my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back