Worm help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Reaction score
image.jpg

Normally I google and search before posting.
However currently in a rush to try and work out the bests course of action.

One of of my large diamonds (had for three years) has done a poo over night.
overall it looked ok. Had a very funky smell not usual. And the tail and some fur appeared to be indigested.

The main problem was long thin worms were also present. Roughly 15 in total. Roughly 25mm long and 2mm wide. With a brown pinkish colouring. Attached is a poor picture of a sample I have kept.

She he was fed on Last Tuesday 2x XL rats. (Frozen)
None of the other 7 snakes have passed any waste.

I have always taken note of waste for parasites and never seen anything before.

Can an you please advise wether the rat may have had the parasites or the snake.
i have already quarantined the snake and f10 the enclosure. Need to know wether she needs a vet visit or some medication & wether I need to treat the other 10 snakes in the room.

- - - Updated - - -

Photo attached

Last edited:
If that were me l would worm your snakes out with a suitable broad spectrum wormer (there are many diff. wormers available) but most importantly (IMO) is to worm them out a 2nd time 11-13 days later to break any gestation cycle they "may" have there. ~B~

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont panic, worms are just another part of biological environment. Like most things they are only detremental when in excess. If you are worried inject the next feed item with a suitable wormer. I have heard that ivermectin kills a wide variety of internal and external parisites in snakes. I doubt that f10 would be overly effective in treating worms so it is good if you try to minimise the use of chemicals, to those which are necessary.

As Warwick says. Just be a bit careful with your selection of worming medication. Some years ago there was discussion about some species being more sensitive than others to the various chemicals. Do a bit of research or ask a reptile vet what you should use. No need to panic though.

Jamie

Looks like roundworms. They can't infest your other animals as they need an intermediate host (food items) Reptiworm is sold in most pet shops with decent reptile supplies. Easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back