Worming snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpb02

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering when you need to worm, i have never really read anything about worming and was just wondering if all snakes need to be wormed and when should they be wormed?

funny, I was just wondering the same thing myself. Also I would like to know, how do you tell if your snake has worms? what symptoms/signs?

yeh mate would be great if some one would reply and give us a little info on it all, i have read things about worming but have never really heard of people doing it any help would be great

most of the time you wont know if your snake has worms. overly well kept captive snakes should never have massive problems wiht worms e.g feeding frozen food or simply feeding rats/mice from clean stock. i worm everything that i buy and then i personally (due having the equipment or access to the equipment.) check feacal samples on anything that i am worried about. this is to look for other endo parastes as well as worms. The wormer of choice that i use is Worm out Gel. And i would reccommend worming once and then again in 2 weeks and then as needed. In my lizards on the other hand i check their feacal samples more often as they eat alot of live insects which can be intermediate host for some worms.

cheers
H.

thanks for that mate. so would you worm any new arrival to your collection? does it depend on age of reptile, i have a 4 month old woma and a 3 month old jungle both of which have not been wormed it worth while just doing it to be safe?

i worm when i buy a snake then never again. i breed my own food so i know what my snakes are getting

i worm everything new, just for peace of mind. mainly just in case they have any latent worms or immature worms that are not reproducing therefore i wont pick them up on fecal checks. but then i leave them be and only check if they do anythign weird which isnt often, neither age or species matters really. the dosage changes though. it wont hurt them but you can jump down to your local vet and get them to do a parasite check before treatment if that makes you more comfortable

okay im guessing they are just tablets? where do i get them from and what are the prices so i dont get ripped off

you can get them in tablets or a thick liquid. cant remember prices sorry not expensive though.

Just a quick question something I have being trying to find out about .
When you use Worm Out Gel I presume you give it via crop needle but at what dosage ?The same as recommended for birds by weight?

yeah i give via dosing needle at the rate of 0.05ml/100g

I use drontal tablets in the food at the rate of 1 tablet for every 3 kgs. Check with a herp vet though.

i worm my snakes once a year regardless of infected or not, just to be safe. i inject a dead rat or mouse with the correct dose and feed it to the animal.

okay so is it more common to inject or just better than tablets?

dose needles orally on an empty stomach is most effective.

Do not worm reptiles unless they are carrying them in the first place.If you want to check take the snake to a vet who can test and treat accordingly.

i have a sand monitor that im 100% sure has worms. can i just buy a treatment over the counter or do i need to go for a vet check? im sure it has worms as i gave him some roo mince the other day and he ate too much and brought it back up and it had worms in it. already spoken to a vet, but didnt really clear up whether i can get a treatment over the counter/off the shelf.

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back