worming?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie manda

Reaction score
hay every1, just wondering, i've heard about people injecting or feeding reptile worming tablets to reptiles food befiore feeding to their reptiles. i was just wondering where do you get reptive worming tablets and roughly how much. sorry if its a dumb question lol, just wanted to know.

\cheers, manda xx

I have a bottle of reptile worming solution and a small medical syringe- once a year I give the tiniest dose (like half a drop) to each of my lizards. You can get an insulin needle from the chemist and inject the worming solution into a cricket or other food item, which will make it a million times easier and less stressful than catching the animal and forcing a syringe in it's mouth. I get the impression the stuff doesn't taste too good.

You can buy the worming liquid at most petshops and herp vets too.

Drontal is also safe to use for reptiles. I use Canine All Wormer 10kg tablets which are same as drontal just different brand, and break the tablets down accordingly. This is ok for my larger carpets, i am not sure about smaller snakes or lizards. You would have to check with your vet. But we stock the Reptile Worm Syrup as would many pet shops.

If you suspect it has worms just go to the vet so he can get a feacal sample and he will probably prescribe panacur if that is the case.
It's pretty good stuff. Ours looks a picture of health after doing it a few months ago.*

Note: This was recommended by the vet.It wouldn't be wise to do it for no reason.

I asked my snake's vet about worming, and he said having a faecal sample analysed is the first step. Why worm if your animal hasn't got worms?

</just sayin'>

should you regularly worm your herps or at least once in your posetion?

as far as i know my reptiles (a stimmie and an eastern bluey) have never been wormed, is it a good idea to do it just once to start off with?

should you regularly worm your herps or at least once in your posetion?

as far as i know my reptiles (a stimmie and an eastern bluey) have never been wormed, is it a good idea to do it just once to start off with?

As Nickamon and i both said, it's better it to consult the vet, rather than do it for no reason.

Can Panacur be purchased over the counter in OZ? That company markets the same drug for the livestock industry under the lable of Safeguard, also. Can Safeguard be purchased over the counter?

If your snake was a hatchling when you bought it, and has only been fed on frozen foods, there would be little reason to worm it unless you thought something was wrong for some reason, and a faecal smear should be looked at, but if you have a insect eating lizard, it's chances of having worms is much much higher, esp. if it lives outside or is being fed wild caught insects and you may want to worm it periodically. I use Worm Out gel, it's a bird wormer, can get from any good bird supplier, it's in a pump pack. It is easier to smear some on a cricket and feed it to a small lizard.

droncit,( praziquantal), will only do tape worm and panacur,(febendazole) will do most of the rest ie round worm etc so you need to use both if only using one of these.
But if you get some wormout gel,(bird wormer made by vetafarm), avaiable at pet shops and vets, it will do pretty much most worms that effect reptiles and is very very safe to use.
It contains praziquantal and oxfenazole, which is a simular drug to febendazole, just as safe and slightly more effective.
Dose at .5 ml per kg.

yeah it seems pretty safe and fool proof, I've used it on tiny geckos with "guessed amounts" and havn't had a problem so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back