Would you vote to have a reptile show in the Macarthur area of south west Sydney

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpilotaFreak78

Reaction score
Sorry I don't know how to do polls on this forum, so go ahead and voice your opinions. Vote to have a Macarthur area reptile show.

Personally I beleive that we don't have enough shows. I love them because it is an opportunity not only for non reptile owners to be able to go to one place and guage a price on what they are interested in and possibly become a new owner, but it allows meet and greet of breeders and suppliers, as well as for kids to have fun, see and feel live animals and for owners to get stuff cheaper than normal I guess too.

I got my first snake from a reptile show and many others as well (and from some people here too!)

You can never have too many reptile shows!

I would disagree! NSW has quite a few shows plus the fact that there is only so many people that
are willing to organise and find the funding to run these events.

That would be excellent the more reptile shows the better, give people something to do and to look forward to I'd deffinately be putting a vote in for that if the chance came around

I would disagree! NSW has quite a few shows plus the fact that there is only so many people that
are willing to organise and find the funding to run these events.
I may only be a new member to MacHerps but I'd love to help organsie one, I'm already looking at possible venus in the Campbelltown area that have conveniences for attendees

I've recently wanted to join , any good?

Macherps*

We just had a guy from Symbio animal park last month and he had some Womas, and other Antaresias with him as well as an Olive python, and this Friday we have someone coming in to talk about monitors, I think it was ridge taield monitors or soem type thats rare, nor sure. Foods great too and cheap, soem members even bring their snakes along. I'm thinking about bring in my own every now and again to get them used to more handling, its a good way otehr than letting the neighborhood kids pat them all the time, they get to be around different ppl so I can guage reactions.

Sounds good I'll be sure to become a member and attend a few meetings :)

soem members even bring their snakes along. I'm thinking about bring in my own every now and again to get them used to more handling, its a good way otehr than letting the neighborhood kids pat them all the time, they get to be around different ppl so I can guage reactions.

If you are at all serious about your snakes you WILL realise that exposure to others and having all and sundry handle them is a huge quarantine risk! You wont be happy if you take a pathogen or parisite home to the rest of your critters.

Not saying reptile associations are not good things in fact they are quite benificial, But things like quarantine are some of the basics that should be
taught to those that attend.

If you are at all serious about your snakes you WILL realise that exposure to others and having all and sundry handle them is a huge quarantine risk! You wont be happy if you take a pathogen or parisite home to the rest of your critters.

Not saying reptile associations are not good things in fact they are quite benificial, But things like quarantine are some of the basics that should be
taught to those that attend.
And if you bothered to have the courtesy to ask me this through PM instead of abusing me with it openly here you would know already I put my animals health first, I always think about these things before thinking about which animals I take out. I always ask everyone to use F10 I supply both before and after animal handling.

I AM WELL AWRE OF EXPOSURE RISKS
So stop being so damn paranoid, MYOB and trust that I know the risks too and make plans for it, Geez

Sydney does not need any more shows , there are all ready plenty and any more will just stretch it to far making all of them suffer IMO

I don't understand the want for all the reptile groups to compete with each other. The campbelltown region is right next door to the Illawarra so why don't the Mac soc get involved with them and make a super show, everyone can share the credit and the biggest winner would be the hobby we all love. ( not saying they don't ATM. I have no idea if they do or don't.)

Hi SpilotaFeak78,
I haven't had the chance to meet you in person yet, as your first meeting attendance was last month, and I was interstate. Great to see another enthusiastic Macherper! Macarthur Herp Society ran the inaugural Society expo back in 2007, with subsequent expos in 2008/2009. The first 2 expos were very popular and paved the way for the other societies to start up their own expo's. The last expo in 2009 however, was an expensive ordeal, and the financial return did not pay off. There has not been another Macarthur Expo in two years, and I was very keen to start them back up this year, however did not have the rest of the committee's backing- with planning time being the major issue.
Now we have plenty of time for planning, and an expo is again a possibility for early next year, nothing concrete as yet, but will likely start from scratch in a smaller venue if we go down that avenue, with the committee already looking at suitable venues.

Stimigex- Yes, there is a risk of spreading any potential nasties with letting visitors touch and interact with animals, and It's up to both parties to ensure as much care is taken to eliminate the potential risk, (quarantine, F10 etc). Whilst we don't ask people to bring in their animals, we don't frown upon it either. I believe the best way to encourage new people to the hobby is to let them have a positive experience with an animal and meet the keepers and breeders in the flesh. We have not had any negative feedback from such encounters at our meetings yet, and so far have yet to hear of any negative encounters at other club's meetings either. Macarthur Herp Society was also the first club to issue hygiene and handling protocols that set the standards for all expo's running today, so it is definitely something the Society encourages. Come along to one of our meetings, you may even enjoy the talk! :)

Ryan Leahy
President
Macarthur Herpetological Society

Hi SpilotaFeak78,
I haven't had the chance to meet you in person yet, as your first meeting attendance was last month, and I was interstate. Great to see another enthusiastic Macherper! Macarthur Herp Society ran the inaugural Society expo back in 2007, with subsequent expos in 2008/2009. The first 2 expos were very popular and paved the way for the other societies to start up their own expo's. The last expo in 2009 however, was an expensive ordeal, and the financial return did not pay off. There has not been another Macarthur Expo in two years, and I was very keen to start them back up this year, however did not have the rest of the committee's backing- with planning time being the major issue.
Now we have plenty of time for planning, and an expo is again a possibility for early next year, nothing concrete as yet, but will likely start from scratch in a smaller venue if we go down that avenue, with the committee already looking at suitable venues.

Stimigex- Yes, there is a risk of spreading any potential nasties with letting visitors touch and interact with animals, and It's up to both parties to ensure as much care is taken to eliminate the potential risk, (quarantine, F10 etc). Whilst we don't ask people to bring in their animals, we don't frown upon it either. I believe the best way to encourage new people to the hobby is to let them have a positive experience with an animal and meet the keepers and breeders in the flesh. We have not had any negative feedback from such encounters at our meetings yet, and so far have yet to hear of any negative encounters at other club's meetings either. Macarthur Herp Society was also the first club to issue hygiene and handling protocols that set the standards for all expo's running today, so it is definitely something the Society encourages. Come along to one of our meetings, you may even enjoy the talk! :)

Ryan Leahy
President
Macarthur Herpetological Society
Thanks for coming in and making a comment Ryan. Rhonda mentioned this to me at the Illawarra show about Macherps having the inaugural show. I see it as a way of gathering people in the local area together. Yes I live in the Campbelltown area, but I can't always go to every show every year. I went out of my way to get to Castle Hill, Penrith and Kemble Grange this year, but that was only becasue I was driven. Otherwise I would never have gone because I am limited to public transport and these three places aren't exactly close to any train stations.

As Ryan mentions, its about getting people interested and having some positive experiences.

From my own POV its a chance for those who don't drive, who are local to get in and get a good deal or get products at shows prices, to show off their pretty animals, to get themselves involved in something, just like I am willing to do for a Macarthur region show. Plus it gets more people who don't normally see this kind of thing or look out for it like members on this forum would, keeping each other notified, to come into the shows, seeing signage or something out on the road and think 'hey, that looks interesting, lets go have a look'. You never know, they might then go out and get a reptile license and become reptile owners themselves.

Its not about competing with each other at all.

Think about all the Easter shows that various areas around the state have. We can't go to all of them, but seeing as how they are in different areas at different times, it gives us a chance to go to the one closest to us and spend more money because its more convenient.

Sorry I don't know how to do polls on this forum, so go ahead and voice your opinions. Vote to have a Macarthur area reptile show.

Personally I beleive that we don't have enough shows. I love them because it is an opportunity not only for non reptile owners to be able to go to one place and guage a price on what they are interested in and possibly become a new owner, but it allows meet and greet of breeders and suppliers, as well as for kids to have fun, see and feel live animals and for owners to get stuff cheaper than normal I guess too.

I got my first snake from a reptile show and many others as well (and from some people here too!)

You can never have too many reptile shows!
I'm not too far from Campbeltown so I'd go

Would definitely like to see a reptile show in the campbelltown area!!

just saw this sthread and i'd definatly go and so would alot of my friends and family. would be nice to get it going again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back