Yellow Bellied Skink Id

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syxxx

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I found this little guy when gardening on the weekend on the mornington peninsula his a bit different to the run of the mill skinks we see so I took a couple of photos and let him go. He was easy to handle probably pretty cold. I have had a quick look in my older version of cogger but he didn't seem to match up to anything but I'm certainly no pro at this sort of thing anyone want to have a go?

Attachments

• IMG_2217.jpg
    IMG_2217.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2275.jpg
    IMG_2275.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2271.jpg
    IMG_2271.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2277.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 577
Ah, not a garden skink. I've never seen a Lampropholis with a yellow belly.

I'm going with Hemiergis decresiensis.

-H

Ive got a felling that it is a Hemiergis decresiensis, im pritty sure it is not in the (Lampropholis) Family.
Thanks Tim.

i know nothing bout skinks, but just looked them up, only think i can see looks simila, same yellow belly, but different on top was the Nannoscincus maccoyi but thee i said i know nothing bout them

I will agree with, Nephrurus, Acrochordus and eipper. Hamiergis decresiensis.

I found this skink in Benalla a while back, it took me days to ID it.
It was IDed as a Male Hamiergis decresiensis (females dont have yellow)
Yours looks the same as this guy

Attachments

• skink 1.jpg
    skink 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 446
  • skink 2.jpg
    skink 2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 154
  • skink 3.jpg
    skink 3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 124
females can have yellow I have found heavily gravid ones with yellow bellies

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated. When I found him I thought he was H.perronii only by remembering the photo of one upside down in cogger but ruled it out due to the geographical range map. For the same reason I ruled out H.decresiensis but the written description doesn't really rule it out but the map in my addition (sixth) would rule it out not that I'm douting
Thanks for your photos andyscott they are beaut little skinks.
When I turned him upside down he just didn't move a bit like some dragons so I had plenty of time for pics.
Thanks everyone hopefully I see some more of these running around the garden when it warms up.

there every where, they love to play dead and they like to pretend their snakes! i keep 2 of them, there awesome lil fellas!

yer there a type of three toe skink that are found under pretty much every log on my two farms!:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back