Yesterday's heat and eggs.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abbott75

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I got home from work to fins my incubator sitting at 35*. I put a cup of ice in there, and probably within an hour got it back down to around 31*, but it probably would have been pretty hot for a few hours.

The incubator is full of Antaresia eggs, ranging from a few days to 48 days old, would the sudden heat spike have had any noticeable impact on them?

Cheers
Adam

35 isn't anything to worry about IMO, whilst slight temperature differences can probably change colour / patterning to some degree in some reptiles, it shouldn't have any effect in the health of the eggs. I once had an incubator hit 47, whilst I didn't have any snake eggs in there I did have about 400 lizard eggs of about a dozen species, and they all seemingly hatched ok.

Lizard eggs are more temperature robust than snake eggs, so it doesn't surprise me that they can endure temps of above 40...

More important than the temperatures reached, is the speed in which they are reached... If it spikes again, it can be tempting to shove as much ice as possible in... but bringing it down too quick can be just as dangerous as the spike... You want to aim for gradual peaks and troughs... maybe a drink bottle or two with some ice cubes in water... but not just ice.

Only time will truly tell, but I think you'll be alright... In the wild they can lay in places like compost bins, which would soar to mid/high thirties on an average summer day...

Lizard eggs are more temperature robust than snake eggs, so it doesn't surprise me that they can endure temps of above 40...

More important than the temperatures reached, is the speed in which they are reached... If it spikes again, it can be tempting to shove as much ice as possible in... but bringing it down too quick can be just as dangerous as the spike... You want to aim for gradual peaks and troughs... maybe a drink bottle or two with some ice cubes in water... but not just ice.

Only time will truly tell, but I think you'll be alright... In the wild they can lay in places like compost bins, which would soar to mid/high thirties on an average summer day...
A compost bin would soar well above that. I've seen a study that shows the middle of a compost pile reaching 150 degrees. Ever heard of self combusting grass clipping piles?

Well there you go, learn something new every day.
Point being... high temps occur in natural surroundings... :)

The weather in Melb is even more erratic than usual . l check the thermometer in the nesting box where my girl is on eggs 2 - 3 times a day . Its a constant chase to keep it at 31 - 32 , it varies between 28 and 35 , at least she is in there to help .

Was a hot day yesterday on the central coast! 35 degrees doesnt seem too bad though..was hotter outside!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back