You tell me !!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah derek ...where I live I dont have a reliable pet supply ..so have to do my own ..I dont like it, but my guys have to eat too ...
I wasn't being critical, just reflecting on my own luck. It has taken me about 25 years to get my wife's approval to keep a snake again. If I also had to keep and kill mice/rats, that approval wouldn't have happened - and my daughters would really wouldn't accept me killing rats or mice for snake food, no matter how humanely I did it.

The video making / watching for entertainment thing is a whole different kettle of fish to the actual cruelty issues... In reality, it is far less cruel to feed a mouse to a bearded dragon (and I am in no way saying it is the right thing to do here) than it is to use Rat Sack or even a rat trap (as in alot of cases the rat is still alive in the morning)... I just see it as a bit hypocritical on the part of activists that they kick up a stink about feeding live, yet I don't here much about people lacing their houses / properties with various poisons.... or is it not cruel if you don't witness it die? or am I allowed to live feed wild feral rodents?

In my defence... we dont use any rat/ mouse control measures at our place lol. I agree with you though.

I cant believe my youtube vids get flagged when these one dont,

That's because you handle venomous snakes like they are pythons, Annoy wild snakes so they strike at your camera, show yourself eating eggs with a lacie and general other stupid things.

I think you just like attention to be honest

That's because you handle venomous snakes like they are pythons, Annoy wild snakes so they strike at your camera, show yourself eating eggs with a lacie and general other stupid things.

...and thats worst than the horrible acts of cruelty committed by the losers in the other videos??? :rolleyes:

Donkey kong, you want to get your facts right.

You are thinking of a different ssnakeman on you tube.

Never freehandled , fed goannas eggs or any other 'stupid things' on my youtube channel and the guy who does, tony, a friend of mine, would not give a rats bum what you think.

Your just a stirrer who is after attention imo.

the guy who does, tony, a friend of mine would not give a rats bum what you think.

Well that's good to know but he is still a tool who tries to show how tough he is by doing such things

Sorry for assuming it was you

The video making / watching for entertainment thing is a whole different kettle of fish to the actual cruelty issues... In reality, it is far less cruel to feed a mouse to a bearded dragon (and I am in no way saying it is the right thing to do here) than it is to use Rat Sack or even a rat trap (as in alot of cases the rat is still alive in the morning)... I just see it as a bit hypocritical on the part of activists that they kick up a stink about feeding live, yet I don't here much about people lacing their houses / properties with various poisons.... or is it not cruel if you don't witness it die? or am I allowed to live feed wild feral rodents?
There are two issues here.

One is the actual cruelty to animals, and the use of rat poison is arguably less cruel than live feeding because there is less terror involved.

The other issue is the enjoyment that some people get out of watching live feeding. From a human perspective in terms of diagnosing a personality disorder, but obviously not the prey animal's perspective, maybe it is not cruel if you don't witness it.

This view is supported by the fact that not many people appear to be troubled by the concept of keeping cats or encouraging wild pythons in feed sheds to keep feral rodents down.

I wasn't being critical, just reflecting on my own luck. It has taken me about 25 years to get my wife's approval to keep a snake again. If I also had to keep and kill mice/rats, that approval wouldn't have happened - and my daughters would really wouldn't accept me killing rats or mice for snake food, no matter how humanely I did it.
No never took it that way at all derek ....
and Jason good point and to a degree I do agree with that ...but when an animal will eat culled food if offered ..why would the need be to feed live for nothing else then the human has a fettish in watching their own recorded docco ...
I have been guilty of using traps in the past ,after all avenues were tried with mice ..friendly traps and carpet snakes in my roof and house etc ...this place is like a wood cabin we have plenty of areas where wild snakes can and do enter ...but after getting a few EB's inside over the years ..as much as I love all snakes ..that was a bit risky ,so traps were set ..and I was popping them off quicker then I could keep up ..the mice if you use peanut butter will be most times head caught ..but yes was a few that were caught by the leg and would have suffered ..:cry:...all the bodies were thrown in the front part of my place as I have plenty of dragons and monitors and kookaburras ..so they were recycled ..
I am in no way innocent of not hurting in trapping etc ..even now I got so bloody sick of the roaches I USED SURFACE SPRAY in my cupboards and skirting boards ...:oops:...I tried living with them but I hate BUGS ..its the truth I am a bug hater thats why i dont keep lizards ...
Now you know one of my dirty secrets :shock:

wow donkey clonk thats the best case of FOOT STUCK IN MOUTH i have ever read!!
You dont even know ssssssnakeman Baz
and Tony would love to hear your little comments about him I bet ..why dont ya go and leave a few posts after his vids then ;)

No never took it that way at all derek ....
and Jason good point and to a degree I do agree with that ...but when an animal will eat culled food if offered ..why would the need be to feed live for nothing else then the human has a fettish in watching their own recorded docco ...QUOTE]

did I say it should?

and as for trapping, I have used traps for ages, I used to have heaps of rats here when I moved in, i set a rat trap, got up in the morning to find the head of a rat and thats it....mmmm, I need more traps I thought... many times though you find rats with broken necks still sitting there alive, sometimes they are badly injured and throw the trap and crawl ten meters away and sit there well and truely alive, but unable to walk well... so now I use cage traps, and just belt them once I have them.
Life for a rat is cruel from the day it is born, they live a life on the edge untill the day they die... Life is like that for many creatures, generally things get eaten by other things, and they don't carry CO2 with them to do it. As thinking primates all we can / should do is minimize the animals pain as much as we can.

Jason L [/QUOTE]Life is like that for many creatures, generally things get eaten by other things, and they don't carry CO2 with them to do it. As thinking primates all we can / should do is minimize the animals pain as much as we can.[/QUOTE]
agreed......(. No I wasnt meaning you did say you agreed to live feeds for fun sorry if it came off that way ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back