Young Python changed behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CGoldney

Reaction score
We have had a Murray-Darling hatchling since Feb this year. Our first snake. It has seemed fine, 'f'riendly' and happy until recently. Over the last week or two it has begun to puff its throat up and down and make a clicking noise while it is being handled. I was worried about a respiratory infection but it is still eating and its cage is warm enough. Does anyone know why it has begun this odd behaviour?

what are the temps in the enclosure, and how much are the varying during the night?

the puffing throat and clicking sound like RI sysptoms to me, i'd take him off to the vet to be on the safe side can't be too careful with RI and snakes

Sounds like possible respiratory infection to me.
Get it to a vet ASAP to get batril injections.
Dont waste a few days to see how its going.
It could be fatal if you wait.
Respiratory infection is easy to heal if cought early.

Good Luck,
Jason

re: enclosure temp

The thermostat is set at 28 degrees, At the moment the 'hot end' is 33.4 degrees and the 'cool end' is about 25. I have seen the temp drop to 21 degrees but the room we keep it in is heated now the weather is getting colder. I don't think he is getting cold. He is very rarely out near the heat lamp. He tends to stay around the centre of the cage.

Thanks for the advice. No snake vets in this neck of the woods. It will mean a long trip to Adelaide. The things we do for our kids and their pets!!

Your temp are ok but as the others have said take your python to a herp vet as it does sound very much like a RI and if left too long it can be fatal

Even if there are no herp vets around, if you can find all the info or call a herp vet to know what it needs for treatment, the normal vets have all the injections etc.
I had to do it with a preg rat, no one knew what to do so i researched on the net and found vet notes and told the vet what to do. Ha ha i felt smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back