young rat mother??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

croc_hunter_penny

Reaction score
:shock:

my 7-ish week old rat that i bought 3 weeks ago just had babies!!!! they are all really tiny, like rubbery squeaky jellybeans! it was quite unexpected, and i dont really know what to do.

do i need to do anything for the mother or babies (eg isolate them from the other rats)

i have 3 other rats and they are all female, so i am a little bit confused right now :lol:

any help would really be appreciated
-penny

mine live together year round all sexes in together, never had a problem

We started separating out our mothers with litter because the pups were dissapearing. This has only been a recent thing but we've found that the pups seem to grow quicker when the mother/pups are separate

Yeah the last couple of months one litter pops and when the second mum pops all her pups dissapear into interstellar space....or someones gut.
I need a rat psychologist.
I thought if this new batch of mums Ive got in, are kept seperate from the old moms that do eat young, they will hopefully not pick up on this negative habit.

they only eat the bubs if not enough food, fruit and vegies are given and if new males are introduced, definitely take any males away unless he fathered the babies,
kylie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back