your feelings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robboito

Reaction score
i was just curious as to what the general aussie opinion is about australia's strict import/export laws.

sometimes i wish i could get certain exotics but its really not worth the risk to our country. Keep em as they are

im not fussed over it, only interested in our aussie reptiles. even if i had the choice, i would probably stick to aussie's only.

Well the facts appear to be we have extraordinarily strict export/import laws that have made legal export and import almost impossible which has inevitably led to completely unrestricted smuggling of potentially disease ridden animals. Anyone who has been around a while knows it is possible to get ANY species you want.
Not being for or against just pointing out that the laws haven't really achieved anything other than create a large illegal smuggling racket.

The live export of native fauna from Australia can not be legally done because of a ban on this under the Conservation and Environment Biodiversity act 1999.
It is a federal act, and unfortunately highlights how behind Australia is compared to other countries to take advantage of a sustainable natural resource.

there would be hysteria amongst reptile keepers here if the U.S. banned importation of exotic animals. i must say that i am surprised by the responses so far.

Dave, I completely agree, it is absurd.
Robboito, having spoken to a very large number of keepers over the years it is fair to say that most of them would welcome being able to keep some exotic species. It is a great shame that we aren't able to keep some of the many beautiful exotics out there.
It's like I said it isn't as though they aren't available anyway, just not legally. Of course we can still import a dog or cat or fish, cow, goat, sheep, horse, Llama, alpaca, sheep .....you get the idea :)

A very interesting but long read, is the senate report in 1998 by the rural and regional affairs and transport reference committee on the comemercial utilistion of Australian native wildlife.
Most state governments actually supported the legallised export of live native fauna back then.

there would be hysteria amongst reptile keepers here if the U.S. banned importation of exotic animals. i must say that i am surprised by the responses so far.
its happening at the moment.

alex, i havent heard of a nationwide ban on exotic reptiles, but certain states are making laws regulating certain types of reptiles. in georgia, it is strictly illegal to possess at any time for any reason native wildlife. but in my state of alabama, which neighbors georgia , it IS legal to possess just about any native wildlife you wish. the only restrictions for reptiles in my state is that you need a permit to own exotic VENOMOUS herps. it seems that most states here are more concerned about their native wildlife than the import of exotics, but there are states who are an exception.

Feel free to export as many cane toads from Aust as you want .... :p
LMAO hey I'll come catch them if you pay me enough. They came from Hawaii right, I wonder what eats them there? gee you could get a real vicious circle going there and I imagine that toad is a big reason for the import export laws you have.. But correct me if I'm wrong didn't the government approve of releasing these toads?? If so then they did what some over here are trying to do IE the old Close the barn door after the horse got out.. Randy

I think they are good, it keeps pests out of the country. Well except for the cane toad.

With you all the way Jack. Just look at Burms in the everglades for example. Horses for courses in my opinion. Its a bummer ,i know, having to put up with the several boring reptiles endemic to this country, that we are allowed to keep.:rolleyes:
make them more strict

The only thing the current laws do is to support the healthy black market. If import/export was bought out from under the table the results and effectivenes of standards could be more easily monitored. I think it should be difficult to import but not so difficult as to drive it underground. As for exports I have no problem. I would rather utilise a resource rather than destroy it. Look at cockies. The government would prefer to see them poisoned rather than exported. Cant see the logic in that.

How would making it legal prevent what 's going on.? It would just make poaching even more common.

If there was a legal way of importing or exporting reptiles it would be worth the risk of doing it illegally as the costs should be much the same. By poaching I presume you mean wild capture, again why bother if theres a legal way of obtaining and exporting /importing animals.Most import and export protocols require blood sampling as part of the protocol which would provide an opportunity to check origins via dna etc if necessary.

Warwick, exactly what I have been saying for years. I'm amazed by the number of people who still think that these laws in any way stop exotics coming in or being bred in this country and it certainly doesn't in anyway keep 'pests' out of the country as was mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back