your feelings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greebo, We could do that or, instead we could develop meaningful protocols which guard Australias health status as we have for birds,cattle ,dogs and a miriad of other animals sucessfully.

Again exactly what I have been saying. It could just be left exactly as it is and let the current laws handle it because we all know that the laws have stopped all reptiles coming into the country. I'm certainly not saying just give up and never have but the current laws are doing nothing to stop the exotics being bred and traded.

'Anyone who has been around a while knows it is possible to get ANY species you want.' No truer words have ever been spoken. The things already being kept illegally is mind blowing and is testament that Aust. quarantine laws have failed dismally.

I would say that as murder is against the law, it has probably kept down the number of murderers.:rolleyes: This thread may have a little self interest involved,heh.;)

Well I would be the first to say I would have exotics if legal, so I suppose from my point of view there is some self interest but can't comment for anyone els BUT as well as that the current laws obviously have little effect so maybe need looking at.

Well I would be the first to say I would have exotics if legal, so I suppose from my point of view there is some self interest but can't comment for anyone els BUT as well as that the current laws obviously have little effect so maybe need looking at.

Boa you yourself have admitted that you would own them if legal, and there would be plenty of people in the same boat as you, so the laws are obviously having some effect. If made legal there would be a huge increase in the number of exotics in Aus.

As I said they are having little effect, they are stopping most law abiding people keeping them, that of course doesn't stop those who don't care less about the law.

By "stopping most law abiding people keeping them" its having a large effect in reducing the potential number of exotics in Australia.

alex, i havent heard of a nationwide ban on exotic reptiles, but certain states are making laws regulating certain types of reptiles. in georgia, it is strictly illegal to possess at any time for any reason native wildlife. but in my state of alabama, which neighbors georgia , it IS legal to possess just about any native wildlife you wish. the only restrictions for reptiles in my state is that you need a permit to own exotic VENOMOUS herps. it seems that most states here are more concerned about their native wildlife than the import of exotics, but there are states who are an exception.

it only affects certain species of pythons like boas etc.
[video=youtube;ndMl5ZiwPeI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndMl5ZiwPeI[/video]

the ban on imports and exports has some effect in limiting the volume of what comes in and out of the country, but thiers a hell of a lot of australia to police so yes a lot can get missed. i would like to keep some exotics if LEGALLY avalible as their is no way i would risk having mine taken from me.

as a second point even legally heavily enforced imports can introduce disease - EI equine Influenza is a current topical example, although their has been an increased relaxing of the quarintein periods over the years which may have something to do with the vast amount of money produced through horse racing.

this shows that one missed animal can have a huge disease impact, yes i am aware that due to the way herps are kept such rapid progression would not happen as easily. although with the natural herp population of australia transmission and infection of the wild population could occur quickly, just look at how easy it is for a snake/lizard to escape - a lid not closed properly, a small escape hole they will undoubtably find.

and as many herpers are aware their are already populations of exotic reptiles living as feral pests, asian house geckos are probably the most prolific that people in northern australia can easily identify with.

p.s sorry if the sentincing doesnt make too much sense just got home from work.
-L

By "stopping most law abiding people keeping them" its having a large effect in reducing the potential number of exotics in Australia.

I beleive this is true. There will always be the golden rule "he who has the gold, makes the rules", If you have the money you can have anything, a lot more then just exotic snakes. But even law abiding citizens will mistakingly buy a burmese python because it is a cute hatchy.
Be happy with what you can have, and realise that knowing you can't have something is what makes it more attractive.
I've been offered exotics from three individuals and they are all unknowledgable boofheads who are on a ego trip.

Exporting:
To reduce the cruel smuggling of Australian animals – allow the export of captive bred animals. This will cut the trade of smuggled Australian animals.

Importing:
If feral populations of exotic reptiles or reptile diseases and parasites is an issue. Then federally assess the risk an animal poses to the country and allow the importation (With quarantine) of low risk animals.

As for Burmese Pythons in the Everglade – they are a threatened species that breeds slowly, easy to catch and remove or control. I do not see them as a treat to bio diversity as the Americans have suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back