Zoology

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shane14

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

It comes a time in everyone's life when they decide what they want to get a job as and start picking subjects to lead them on the way. Well ive decided to go for Herpatology. Is there any money in it? What are possible jobs?

Cheers Shane

Hey mate,

Check out my created threads, I made one about this a few months back and there is a good 3 pages of info for you.

Cheers

Shane, this isn't specifically answering your question about herpatology, but I did my undergrad in wildlife biology/environmental science. The bulk of jobs were in research and animal care (zoos etc.), as well as park ranger-type jobs. I didn't want to do this. So I kept studying and looking for other opportunities, and now, FINALLY, I'm heading off to my dream job - a communications and visual media officer (photographer) for a charity in Vietnam that provides sustainable environmental, agricultural, and animal husbandry solutions for remote mountain villages. Ta da!!

My point is: what job do you want to do with herps? Got it? Just stick to your guns, and you'll get there (even if it takes a bit longer than you planned for!).

Shane I think it's a case of life stye vs money. You don't see too many zoologists driving the latest BMW X5, but how important is that to you? Now and then Brian Bush and Rob Brown-Cooper attend WAHS meetings. They'd be worth talking to.... A few peope on True Blue could probably get you in contact with them if you wanted to ask them a few questions a bout being a herpetologist.
I'm just a sparky... I make little above what is considered the "average" wage. And I'll never drive an X5 either... Except when I'm helping my brother.... :rolleyes:

I did my science degree with zoology/ecology majors and have to agree with the above post. I mainly volunteered while working in a completely different field (steel). It was fun but one day I want a house and family so having done that for what i feel is long enough I too moved my life in a completely different direction this year where i can hopefully have my cake and eat it too. Im doing a post grad in education, going to be a senior school biol and chem teacher. Can pass on my passion for the things I love to young people (who I do enjoy working with) and at the same time pursue a career with definite light at the end of the tunnel.
Dan

i also want to do herpetology when im older but only as a 'side' job. i will do herpetology and i also want to do animal veterinary so you have enough money to support a family

haha true true. Im not exactly sure id love to work in zoo's, especially in the breeding/care of rare reptiles. Im not sure how to actually get there. I was thinking maybe just breed reptiles as my job, but its not always stable. I have looked at engineering but ive seen the stress my father has gone through. He dislikes his job even though he is getting 80+/hour. I want to do something that i will enjoy and get a decent pay so i dont have to squeeze every penny. ARGHHH confusing me haha

I think this is every young kids dream (well someone that likes reptiles), but it's unrealistic, and very rarely do they see it through, good luck though.

Zoos don't pay fantastically, mate, but are heaps of fun to work in if that's what you want to do, and very obtainable job with the degree you're talking about. Study genetics if you want to get into breeding of any sort as a job.

Don't think too hard about 15-20 years down the track. Do now what you want to do now, and sort the rest out later. It'll lead you to good places.

I say, get into researching exotics. Travel the world, using catching and measuring big snakes as the excuse. I hear the Amazon rainforest has some good stuff in it :)

How old are you? If you want to get into a scientific career the best place to look is university. Find a uni with researchers in the area you are interested, and move on from there.

I wouldnt worry about just doing zoology, zoology is a part of biology. Any university which offers a science degree with a biology major would cover zoology adequatly. That being said UWA is a good university, it is a group of 8 university which means it will be conducting more research than some of the others.

Yeah mate don't know where you heard that.. quite a few offer zoology majors. But keep in mind zoology is not really about working in zoo's, it is more about research.

imo there is no work in zoology worth getting out of bed for in the morning. as for universities and research, dont look at the quantity of research, look at the quality, look at where the research is being published. some of them appear to be doing research for the sake of putting their names to crap and throwing it in any journal that will except it.

At 15 you have a long way to go if uni is the path you are considering, the one thing that is for sure is that you will change your mind as you go through uni. honestly, follow the path that interests you, a degree in one area doesnt mean you actually will work there. look at the post above, some people with ecology majors etc not doing anything related, thats very common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back