Zygosity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravinsoxxx

Reaction score
hey all, just wondering if anyone could explain or point me in the right direction to getting some info about python genetics specifically about homozygous and heterozygous genes and results when breeding ect,

what i have gathered so far is that the homo carries two identical coppies of a gene that affects the given trait, and the hets have two different genes but then theres dominance and resesive genes and doubble hets but sometimes they merge and you get a mix of the two traits ! so much so wrap my brain around ive only been reading stuff about humans so anything specifically related to pythons would be greatly appreciate.

thanks

Same rules apply on that basic level. Sex chromosones are different though.

wikipedia would tell you. it has 'everything'....gota love the wiki!

a double het is just het for two seperate genes. for them to 'merge' or for the animals to express both homozygously, you need to breed a double het to a double het. this would only give you a rather small percentage og double homo i.e. animals expressing both traits. the problem is is that there are many traits that are much more complicated then het or homo, and i wont even try to start explaining. i would recomend a genetics book but it would probably be way to indepth unless you have done a fair bit of university level genetics.
that prob wont make sense but try wiki...haha.
im usless at explaining things like this.

Try a biology textbook - some of them explain it in an easy to understand way but also have alot of info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back