Bynoes gecko vs golden tail gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke1

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
i really want some geckos and it is between the Bynose gecko and golden tail gecko. i really want both but can only get one at the moment but don't know what to get :cry: its so hard chooseing:cry:
i have a small glass enclosure that can suit either but i want to know if the spiny tails can climb glass, because if so im introuble :|
if anyone can tell me bout either and if photos could be posted up of both geckos and set ups that would be much appreciated. and any breeders of either in NSW.

Cheers,

Luke

Spiny tails can climb glass, but a little confused which two are you choosing between lol, you said bynoes and golden tailed but then you mentioned spiny tail :p soz bout the noobness

I dunno about that Ian, I say go the goldentail/spiny tail. Much nicer looking and interesting geckos. Its not exactly brain surgery to look after them. :)

But yes mate they can climb glass, so you will need a well fitting lid.

Go the golden tail imo anyways :p Much prettier looking gecko and with enough research itll be fine as a first gecko, like most really lol.

Try the search function and just search gecko enclosure or sumthin, theyll be plenty of pics to find.

I have personally only kept H.binoei and I found them a little small for my liking. All animals I have kept were also extremely secretive and quite boring to be honest.

I havent kept S.taenicauda (they are on my to get list) but do keep S.williamsi, all Stophurus species are generally the same to keep, I would think. Just keep in mind, many people believe (incl myself) that most Strophurus (incl taenicauda) require a UV light.

Bynoes are much hardier and easier to breed than Golden Tails, I would always recommend a terrestrial gecko over an arboreal one to people new to herps or geckos. Have you looked at Milii or levis?

Luke, as i mentioned in the PM- i'd go for a different species to begin with. Not necessarily because, like Falconboy has put it (being they aren't difficult to keep), but mainly for the reasons being:

a) Golden tails are aboreal- so if using a fish tank, they will attempt at escaping through the smallest of gaps in the lid

b) The general size of both species your questioning- bynoes are quite tiny and in comparison to other popular gex so to are the golden tails/strophorus species.

c) Breeding- if you are contemplating this as a later possibility, it is definately easier looking after specimens a little bigger, producing bigger eggs etc. I will also note that when incubating, i've found, that the mix of verm. to water needs to be adjusted more than the normal 50:50 as the eggs are more porous in nature.

Saying all this though, its still up to you as to what you choose, but be sure to have fully researched before hand.

Anyhow, heres the pics you requested from me earlier.

Good Luck

Last edited:
If you were to go for strophurus, rather than goldentail you could go for Northern Spinys which are a tad bigger and I think are the nicest looking of the spinys. 2 of my 4 are not shy at all and are quite happy sitting on my hand (not that I do it often, just when needed). However, no geckos are 'handle' creatures.

Some old, daytime pics of my female reticulated S.williamsi.

Last edited:
Northern Spiny's better looking than Golden Tails!!!!! Not IMO!! ;)

Ah, technically thats not what I said, well, what I meant anyway. :D I meant out of the 'spiny tail' the northerns are nicest. :D

There is something special about the goldentail though.

:eek:WHAT DA:eek:
i didn't think i would get this manyposts so guickly :eek:
i was going to buy one of those exo terra tanks if i get the golden tails, is that what everyone thinks i should get??? sny other photos?
thanks for all the info guys,

Cheers,

Luke

Yep, you could go Exos, thats what mine are all in. The 30wx30dx45h would be fine for one or a pair of goldentails, you could go the next size up but I don't feel its needed, just give a hide or 2 and plenty of sticks to climb.

thanks mate, could ya go with the 30 x 30 x 30 ones??? or they too small. i see you keep them, have ya breed them before. where do the golden tails naturally come from anyway??? so i can get an idea of what plants they like etc :D
any other info??? pics???

cheers,

Luke

Hey Luke

Just remember if expenses is an issue then I would go with the terrestrial, reason being Golden Tails & Ciliaris definately need UVA / UVB almost daily.

yea...they all have problems....i dunno...you breed any of em???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back