dimming thermostat problems.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firezone1au

Not so new Member
Reaction score
g'day all,
seeking some advice regarding flickering infra red globes.
I have two 1200x600x600 melamine enclosures.
previously I was running the old black box dial thermostats which were very good & reliable,
but decided I would update to the eco tech DTC100 dimming thermostats to save on power & reduce blown globes from switching on & off during the heating cycles.
I fitted one to each tank, each one running a 100 watt infra red globe.
I understand that these do flicker, though only once & very slightly as the output to the globe increases or decreases, which have have seen.
the problem I am having is both tanks globes will be dimmed, as they are maintaining their reached temps of 40 for one tank (beardie) and 33 for the other (childrens python).
all of a sudden the globes will go to full power, flickering maybe a dozen times before settling down to a dimmed state again.
note these units are also running a spiral type uv globe on each eco tech unit which do not flicker at all.
both tanks do this in exact unison together, if one tank is disconnected the other one will still have this problem.
first I changed the power board, then the extension cable. still the same. I suspected a possible fluctuation from the power point but this appears not to be the problem.
I plugged another 100 watt infra red globe into a spare socket with power cable into the power board as a test & this one does not flicker when the other 2 do, so odviously not a power supply problem at the power point.
I have tried different temp settings, also changing the divergence setting from min of 0 up to 5 degrees.
this is driving me insane. I have talked to few different people including a reptile shop & the retailers distributor but no one really seems to have any idea. be nice if I come home to a pile of ashes where my house used to be. also spoke with an electrician who suggested units may be interfering with each other when the both do it at the same time.
I am told these units are very good, but I have my suspicions. I brought 3 of them, the first one wouldnt go above 26.5 so was replaced. now the 2 other units the lcd displays have become very dim, near impossible to see the icons in the daylight. would have expected more at $135 each.
anybody got any ideas?

A lot probably not all but Habistat def. does need a lot more electrical resistance than a globe can give to make them function properly, you could check this quite easily by adding a heat mat or chord into the curcuit and see what happens....solar 17 (Baden)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back