Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx for all the info so I am not keen on dimonds or gtp well for the moment so was just wondering wat olives are like I termed my tank on it's side and strayed making it into a bar /tank so it should be good it is 120cm high 180long 60wide is that big enough for an olive so as u guys said also looking at a costal could u plz give me pros and cons for both snakes

whats so hard about keeping a GTP ? id like first hand replys and no the old , my mates brothers uncle said they were hard to keep jargon.

Getting the temp and humidity right, and understanding that they aren't the type of snakes that so easily deal with as much handling as coastals etc is the biggest part of the problem with the excited newbies, who of course love to handle their new pet.

Those might sound like pretty simple things, and I guess, in some ways they are. But they stress out pretty easily and they are not as forgiving to people who get any of these "simple" things wrong.

They're not a beginner snake, and "she'll be right" wont cut it with these snakes.

A little bit of practice with carpets or jungles etc, getting used to the idea of being vigilant on humidity and temps would save a lot of would be new GTP keepers a lot of money and heartache ;)

My 2c, for what its worth (and new excited kids with money to burn are going to do whatever they want, its not like they listen to advice anyway hehehe) is - don't underestimate keeping GTP's. They're not impossible, but they're not for first timers.

Getting the temp and humidity right, and understanding that they aren't the type of snakes that so easily deal with as much handling as coastals etc is the biggest part of the problem with the excited newbies, who of course love to handle their new pet.

Those might sound like pretty simple things, and I guess, in some ways they are. But they stress out pretty easily and they are not as forgiving to people who get any of these "simple" things wrong.

They're not a beginner snake, and "she'll be right" wont cut it with these snakes.

A little bit of practice with carpets or jungles etc, getting used to the idea of being vigilant on humidity and temps would save a lot of would be new GTP keepers a lot of money and heartache ;)

My 2c, for what its worth (and new excited kids with money to burn are going to do whatever they want, its not like they listen to advice anyway hehehe) is - don't underestimate keeping GTP's. They're not impossible, but they're not for first timers.

Ditto

pros cons

diamonds:
pros: beautiful pattern good temper
cons:get up to 2 meters in length aggressive feeders.

gtp:
pros:beautiful snakes
cons: extremely hard to keep

olives :
pros: good tempers beautiful snakes
cons:get extremely big can be aggressive feeders

coastals:
pros:beautiful patterns good tempers
cons: some can be aggressive feeder.

costals : beautiful pattern
great temper can be agressive feeder

i've had a fair bit of experience with reptiles, and had my coastal for a fair while. was wanting to get a gtp soon, and have been researching loads. i'm vigilant with temp and humidity, and handling and feeding etc.

i have enough confidence in my abilities (and a zoology degree) so i was just wandering what happened to the guys who say they got one and it died? was it dehydration or a too cool a temperature? something else?

i've had a fair bit of experience with reptiles, and had my coastal for a fair while. was wanting to get a gtp soon, and have been researching loads. i'm vigilant with temp and humidity, and handling and feeding etc.

i have enough confidence in my abilities (and a zoology degree) so i was just wandering what happened to the guys who say they got one and it died? was it dehydration or a too cool a temperature? something else?

numbers of things

drop in humidity
to hot
to cold
refuses to eat and drinks
sometimes the die out of the blue for no apparent reason
there is so many things that go wrong with gtp

As long as you don't go for the GTP or an elapid, most other available snakes are relatively easy to keep. Just choose something that you like and can cater for, the height of your enclosure would suit something like a coastal which will climb readily and grow pretty large, though most of the carpet family will utilise the space you provide. The choice between them all is personal preference, just be smart about it.

no offence mate im studying zoology at the moment and nothing in this course helps with reptiles! if i was you i would buy greg maxwells book "the more complete chondro" and read it then read it again then get your gf to read it to you then research online cause alot of things greg says work for him actully wont for you, everyones enviroment is diferent,

i wish i had waited another 6 to 12 months and researched alot more and also wish i didnt go cheap on my equipment.

best of luck mate and show me pix when you do finally get one :)

Last edited:
pros cons

diamonds:
pros: beautiful pattern good temper
cons:get up to 2 meters in length aggressive feeders.

gtp:
pros:beautiful snakes
cons: extremely hard to keep

olives :
pros: good tempers beautiful snakes
cons:get extremely big can be aggressive feeders

coastals:
pros:beautiful patterns good tempers
cons: some can be aggressive feeder.

costals : beautiful pattern
great temper can be agressive feeder

numbers of things

drop in humidity
to hot
to cold
refuses to eat and drinks
sometimes the die out of the blue for no apparent reason
there is so many things that go wrong with gtp

I just don't see how agressive feeder is a con.

Also you seem to be answering the question for everyone, do you have experiance with all of these animals? Are you sure these are the reasons "so msny things go wrong with GTP's".

I don't think they're extreamly hard to keep, if you were smart you'd easily be able to do it without any worries, keeping them warm and humid, how hard could it possibly be right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting them as a first time snake but they're not impossible and "extreamly hard to keep".

it not just that easy.

these snakes rarely drink from a bowl so there 4 there enclosure has 2 b kept mosit so they can drink of themselves or the leaves & with keeping the enclosure wet a lot of the time there comes mold which can make them sick. also u have 2 make sure that the water they r drinking is clean meaning no poo etc in it so it needs 2 b filled out of the bottom of the enclosure.

with the temps they have a small window for temp change so if u have a hot day & u dont have air con it can go wrong.

im not saying that they r impossble to keep but much harder then other snake/pythons. & people saying its all good they cant b that hard is y so many of them die.

PLEASE DO HEAPS & HEAPS OF RESEACH BEFORE GETTING 1 dont just go off what 1 person says.

no offence mate im studying zoology at the moment and nothing in this course helps with reptiles! if i was you i would buy greg maxwells book "the more complete chondro" and read it then read it again then get your gf to read it to you then research online cause alot of things greg says work for him actully wont for you, everyones enviroment is diferent,

i wish i had waited another 6 to 12 months and researched alot more and also wish i didnt go cheap on my equipment.

best of luck mate and show me pix when you do finally get one :)
book is already on it's way, and i have my eye on another. i disagree about zoology, as i too out of it a lot of useful information for animal husbandry... just not so useful for jobs. especially reptile anatomy.

i tend to spoil my coastal with equipment, so a gtp would certainly get the best of the best.
it not just that easy.

these snakes rarely drink from a bowl so there 4 there enclosure has 2 b kept mosit so they can drink of themselves or the leaves & with keeping the enclosure wet a lot of the time there comes mold which can make them sick. also u have 2 make sure that the water they r drinking is clean meaning no poo etc in it so it needs 2 b filled out of the bottom of the enclosure.

with the temps they have a small window for temp change so if u have a hot day & u dont have air con it can go wrong.

im not saying that they r impossble to keep but much harder then other snake/pythons. & people saying its all good they cant b that hard is y so many of them die.

PLEASE DO HEAPS & HEAPS OF RESEACH BEFORE GETTING 1 dont just go off what 1 person says.

thank you for all the info. this board is only part of my research, obviously. i love learning about amazing animals and when i start, i rarely slow down. hence the zoology.

after all this about whether to take gtp or diamond as first python

the one issue that hasnt seem to be adressed is i dont think you could get a gtp as your first anyway

though its late and close to bedtime whilst reading this
when i lived in vic and now in nsw and think qld is the same any animal that is advanced or class 2 etc cannot be owned or that license applied for until you have a proven licensing experience in that similar category prior to applying though at the end of the day im pretty sure if you own a animal for at least 6 months you can then apply for the next level up with the extra fees.
and womas were on advanced licensing till recently in vic so prior to that you couldnt buy them till proven similar experience .
and with gtp as class 2 in qld i dont live there and dont know there full licensing requirements but as you do i dont think the owning of a gtp as a first python is even possible.

and in my opinion you dont have the experience to even undertake that type of python, as there not one you want to be pulling out regularly and handling to get your experience with and perfecting your handling skills as it will distress the python plus humidity etc

and the saying goes more money than cents (sense)
buy a coastal or bredli or diamond or children enjoy and practise your skills
also avoid bhp as first unless proven feeder as can be finicky eaters and can quite often require force feeding once again another skill you are more confident and happy to undertake with more experience but are beautiful pythons even with there love of headbluffing

Thx for all the info I'm not getting gtp I might think about it agen in a couple of years but now just have to do some research as to what type of python best suits me thxagen

it not just that easy.

so how often do u mist yours ? im wondering if a device could be rigged up [ like a fine mister on a timer] setup in the gtps enclosure ...
whats the small window for temp change ? 3degrees? im interested to know everything i can get from pepole who has gtps + research .

my first snake was a coastal/diamond intergrade carpet python and it was 6 1/2ft and it fited in perfectly fine for me for a first snake so dont just get fixated on geting a small snake at first

Gtp's & licencing [qld]

A lot of wrong information on GTP,S and QLD. licensing on this thread [imo]...you can keep gtp's on a recreational licence [RECREATIONAL] as long as they are of Australian origin there is also provision under QLD. law [international licence] for those whos origins are thought not to be Australian.....l also disagree with the view they are hard to keep different yes but not hard common sense and some 1st hand clues/ideas and they are no more difficult than any other reptile....unless you call a daily spray [hard] temps 25/ 26-31c l personally believe you don,t need hot spots but a more general "soft" heat and dont over-feed ....cheers solar 17 [Baden]

I find it interesting that most australians say GTP's are hard to keep yet in international circles they are considered relatively easy pythons to keep. I've had no experience so i can't comment either way but i often wonder why there is such a difference of opinion on the matter. Anyone got any ideas as to why this may be???

Ben

so how often do u mist yours ? im wondering if a device could be rigged up [ like a fine mister on a timer] setup in the gtps enclosure ...
whats the small window for temp change ? 3degrees? im interested to know everything i can get from pepole who has gtps + research .
You could just read the "GTP all you need to know" sticky. It has all you need to know- a list of everything published on captive and wild green pythons.

Bump, I'm not sure green pythons get easier to keep once you leave Australia. Plenty of people overseas have problems with green pythons, amongst other species.

I am amazed reading some comments in this thread made by people who obviously never kept a GTP but have the urge to express their opinion.

Melly88 - "they rarely drink from a bowl" Where did you get that one from? I only spray new-born babies until their first slough (~ 10 days) and never, ever after. Gee, I would have a lot of thirsty snakes over the years.

KRONYK94 - GTPs are "extremely hard to keep" - how many have you kept?

GTPs are like orchids. They need tropical environment, sensible husbandry approach and less handling than other pythons. The original question was - should KEZZZA get a diamond or GTP as his first snake. I would say neither because both species need special care - on the opposite ends of the scale. But PLEASE, don't make negative comments about GTPs unless you can back it up with your own experience. I bred and dispersed many hatchlings over the years and all of them are still alive and doing well in the hands of their new owners - that is a testimony worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back