Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am amazed reading some comments in this thread made by people who obviously never kept a GTP but have the urge to express their opinion.

Melly88 - "they rarely drink from a bowl" Where did you get that one from? I only spray new-born babies until their first slough (~ 10 days) and never, ever after. Gee, I would have a lot of thirsty snakes over the years.

KRONYK94 - GTPs are "extremely hard to keep" - how many have you kept?

Yep, must agree - although I do mist mine, I have never seen drinking from coils. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I can tell you what I have seen on MANY occasions - drinking from the water feature/bowl in the enclosure (particularly fond of the moving water in the waterfall feature) or drinking from any leftover water spray that is on the side walls of the enclosure.

What's this Melly88?

drink2.jpg

I find it interesting that most australians say GTP's are hard to keep yet in international circles they are considered relatively easy pythons to keep. I've had no experience so i can't comment either way but i often wonder why there is such a difference of opinion on the matter. Anyone got any ideas as to why this may be???

Ben

Overseas there are a lot more pythons to chose from so , relative to boa constrictors Gtps are easy to keep as they dont eat you!

im not saying that they r impossble to keep but much harder then other snake/pythons. & people saying its all good they cant b that hard is y so many of them die.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, how many died? Please show us the evidence.
Much harder than other pythons? Who said? Names please.

Second hand information is like a bomb, you never know when it's going to blow up in your face.

Gtp,s

im not saying that they r impossble to keep but much harder then other snake/pythons. & people saying its all good they cant b that hard is y so many of them die.

Exactly, how many died? Please show us the evidence.
Much harder than other pythons? Who said? Names please.

Second hand information is like a bomb, you never know when it's going to blow up in your face.[/QUOTE]

DITTO....solar 17 [Baden]

Um. If you have common sence and buy the GTP of some one who can tell you how to look after it , they are quite easy to keep alive and happy.
Sure people have brought GTPs and they have died , but how many people have killed coastals as their frist snake?

I don't keep diamonds so can't comment on them.

Attachments

• Greengirl.JPG
    Greengirl.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 87
Where are you Melly88? You have a few questions to answer here.
If you would...

OMG. what the hell???

this is a lovely way 2 welcome kezzza to this site. it happens a lot on here some1 says something that some else dosent agree with so then that attack them or tell them that they know nothing.

all i was doing was telling him what i thought on his question. which is what replying to a thread is about. not attacking some1 cos they have different info to u. i never ever clamied to know everything. hence y i was saying do ur research dont go off what 1 person says.

so can we please get this tread back on track.

OMG. what the hell???

this is a lovely way 2 welcome kezzza to this site. it happens a lot on here some1 says something that some else dosent agree with so then that attack them or tell them that they know nothing.

all i was doing was telling him what i thought on his question. which is what replying to a thread is about. not attacking some1 cos they have different info to u. i never ever clamied to know everything. hence y i was saying do ur research dont go off what 1 person says.

couldn't agree more......... at least you wern't frightened away like most people who get pumelled on here !!!!!!

a good document to read would be Doc Rock's "GTP's & The School of Experience" found on SXR's website under Articles by Doc Rock....... This gives an un-biased view from someone who has bred every Auzzie Python.

Thanks

Joe

OMG. what the hell???

yeah its a great way to greet a new member by filling there head with utter crapo , what even better is when pepole spout off about how to do this or that when they have never OWNED the animal/s in question .

OMG. what the hell???

No offence intended but ....
would you rather have the newbies given advice which is either wrong or complete rubbish
or
would you rather newbies be given the correct advice ??

If some members on here are offering rubbish advice and are pulled up on it , good , then maybe they themselves will do some home work on the subject they know nothing about , and possibly offer the correct advice in future .

Back on topic , I have kept both diamonds and gtp , and they are both great snakes .
Diamond is the best first snake , apart form keeping them a little cooler , maybe a little less food than other carpets there is nothing hard in keeping them IMO .
They are much cheaper , much easier to handle ( new to snakes , you will want to handle one ) .

Keeping GTP'S

"MELLY88" l believe you will kill off all these bad vibes in this thread by telling these critics of yours "about your personal " hands on experience with GTP'S" that would certainly satisfy them that you were experienced enough to comment on keeping GTP,S.....cheers solar 17 [Baden]............dam those nasty experienced dedicated [gtp] keepers
icon7.gif
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

Negative and unfounded comments from inexperienced people give the species bad reputation.
I adore GTPs, keep them, breed them, sell them, study them and relentlessly DEFEND them.
If it means stepping on someone's toes, so be it.

By the way Jinjajoe, I know Doc Rock quite well and as far as I know he never bred native GTP. - get your facts right

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG. what the hell???

Hi Melly,

I agree with you that there is a large problem with people giving newcomers a hard time on APS. However, a lot of people also dish out terrible advice and cloak it in the excuse of "Well, it's my opinion!". Unfortunately, you can have the opinion that the sky is orange, it doesn't mean you are right.

This site would be a lot better if people dealt in facts and personal previous experience, rather than hearsay and misinformed opinions.

Negative and unfounded comments from inexperienced people give the species bad reputation.
I adore GTPs, keep them, breed them, sell them, study them and relentlessly DEFEND them.
If it means stepping on someone's toes, so be it.

By the way Jinjajoe, I know Doc Rock quite well and as far as I know he never bred native GTP. - get your facts right before writing crap.

Your choice of words are quite unsavoury for a sponsor. I am aware the article is about GTPs with unproven ancesstry actually. The thread was about GTPs in general it is you that has the desire to turn it into a Native discussion. I merely quoted a place to gain general GTP information from an experienced breeder. You should re-read site rules before releasing stinging attacks with foul obscenities.

Regards

By the way Jinjajoe, I know Doc Rock quite well and as far as I know he never bred native GTP. - get your facts right before writing crap.
Just out of curiosity, what are the differences between breeding native GTPs and exotic GTPs?

Your choice of words are quite unsavoury for a sponsor. I am aware the article is about GTPs with unproven ancesstry actually. The thread was about GTPs in general it is you that has the desire to turn it into a Native discussion. I merely quoted a place to gain general GTP information from an experienced breeder. You should re-read site rules before releasing stinging attacks with foul obscenities.

Regards
Sorry I touched your nerve, I won't do it again. You're right, Simon did breed just about every native python and he has always been good with sharing factual information. However, some of the comments in his article in RA (few years back) painted grim picture about the species. I am sure his and views and those of other breeders, have changed over time as we gained more experience. The majority of GTP owners agree that the species is not hard to keep or breed.
So, don't take everything for a gospel.

Gtp's in general

"JINJAJOE" ....This gives an un-biased view from someone who has bred every Auzzie Python.

"jinjajoe"i do believe it appears you inferred SXR have bred Aussie GTP,S....The above is a quote from your post maybe just maybe you have broadened the horizons a tad....cheers solar 17 [Baden]
icon7.gif
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back