Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yea, i read up about using chemicals and they all said that it can b dangerous to use and i said that to them and they no that these products all all safe to use! well cant be to safe then, look at wats happened!

That's complete bullcrap - chemicals have the same effect on every animal. If I sprayed one of my birds with a mite spray, and it got sick, I wouldn't go ahead and spray the other thinking it was because the first couldn't "Tolerate" the chemicals. It's good to hear she's recovering, and I hope for the best *fingers crossed.* I'd ring the petshop and rip into them though; they need to take responsibility for their animals, and offer a solution - to replace her (if the worst happens) or give a total refund.

well yes but also no.....

Some snakes do react very differently to chemical, and much like humans they can have totally different reactions to different things. I have seen snakes go down due to spraying with mite spray that is supposed to be harmless to snakes, but they still died (not mine) much like i have seen children taking to hospital for eating a peanut butter sanga, have even seen 1 child rushed to hospital because he came in contact with his teachers skin which she had used a nut oil based body cream!! So different snakes will get effected in different ways, just recently i witnessed a beautiful GTP die from a shot of local anethetic, which had been used many many many times at the same dose on a huge amount of snakes, just happened to be that this one had a reaction.

Im not saying that they should be doing what they are doing, my question would be 'why the hell do they need to be spraying all the animals all the time'???

Definetly a full refund is in order and i would not leave the shop without my money, and dont be afraid to raise your voice and make a scene hopefully there will be someone else in the shop that you may save from going through the same issues.

Hopefully it wont come to this they should take responcibility straight away and give your money back plus pay the vet bills

ok, i have decided to wait, i will get the vet to write wats wrong with the snake and how it was caused so i can take that bak to them, then they have to take responsibility for it, also i dont understand why they needed to spray her anyway she didn't have any mites to start with?

hi jess i've been reading ur post and feel sorrry for you i haven't had my coastal for very long and it's a juvy i spent neally two days beside my tank when i first got him mking sure he was ok lucky for me he thrived the pet6 store in my eyes is totally responsable there a licenecd selller and every thing that go's out them doors in tip top shape even most breeders will garuntie there pets and will replace if ther's any problems he looks like a really nce snake i'd be getting reinbursted well doing my best to do so wish you luck hope ie works out for u post the name of the shop. good luck

I hope your snake pulls through ok..

what size tub was it in when you stuck it inside the enclosure?
was there any heat gradient where it could get away from the heat?
what was the temp inside this tub and also underneath those lights?
did you actually check with a thermometer?
was it ok before you put it inside this tub, inside the enslosure?

If it was ok before it went inside this heated enclosure maybe whats happened is dehydration..
I have a feeling that the snake was literally cooked.. and thats whats wrong with it.

Im not having a go at you or insinuating anything ok. Just giving feedback etc.

But if it was fine when you brought it home and then went limp after being inside that little plastic tub inside the enclosure with the heat close by.. maybe its dehydration and thats the problem and why it was limp.. small snakes are very suseptable to too much heat and to dehydration.

i will if they refuse to take responsibility, so i'll wait and see...

the tub is 35cmx25cmx20cm, under the lights was 30c, and in the tub was between 26c-28c as it wasn't directly under the lights and i also kept checking the snake to make sure it wasn't too hot! the vet has also said she thinks its due to being sprayed b4 i got her home.

the tub is 35cmx25cmx20cm, under the lights was 30c, and in the tub was between 26c-28c as it wasn't directly under the lights and i also kept checking the snake to make sure it wasn't too hot! the vet has also said she thinks its due to being sprayed b4 i got her home.

ok. thanks for that.. that sounds ok. but dehydration could have been the cause and needed to be eliminated.
So exactly what was this stuff that the shop sprayed on the snake in the shop?
Did the shop tell you or the vet what it was?

another thought i just had after reading Colins post, did they directly spray the snake in the tub that you then put into the enclosure if so the heat may have activated the chemical residue in the tub, thus the snake inhaling large amounts of chemicals in the air

just a thought

colin: dont know wat the stuff was all i know is that is was clear and had been diluted with a little water, wen the vet asked them they didn't say all they said was they used it on all the reps and didn't have a problem, and was in a spray bottle diluted with water?

snakecharma: no, he was holding her wen he sprayed her, she was also biting wen he was doin it, could she have swallowed some of it maybe?

still nothing from the vet, which must be a good sign, as they were just gunna keep an eye on her, so no bad news to report! yay, i hope she pulls throu!!

If it was ok before it went inside this heated enclosure maybe whats happened is dehydration..
I have a feeling that the snake was literally cooked.. and thats whats wrong with it.

But if it was fine when you brought it home and then went limp after being inside that little plastic tub inside the enclosure with the heat close by.. maybe its dehydration and thats the problem and why it was limp.. small snakes are very suseptable to too much heat and to dehydration.
I no exactly what your saying,the end of last year i had 2 yearling Darwins and i was cleaning out all the enclosures and tubs,the 2 Darwins were in a 40-50litre tub outside and only a third was in the sun,after less than 30minutes later the both snakes were nearly dead,when i picked them i realised they were warm so i stood near the freezer holding them,after 10minutes or so i got a syringe and drizzled some water in their mouths after 20-25 minutes later they were both the same curious little Darwins as they were before this happened,and yes i still have them.

ok. so we dont know what it was? why dont you just ring the shop and ask them??

sounds to me like it was mite spray probably Permoxin? now I've never used this myself and dont know what warnings come with it. Any body know this and what problems it can cause if used incorrectly?

I no exactly what your saying,the end of last year i had 2 yearling Darwins and i was cleaning out all the enclosures and tubs,the 2 Darwins were in a 40-50litre tub outside and only a third was in the sun,after less than 30minutes later the both snakes were nearly dead,when i picked them i realised they were warm so i stood near the freezer holding them,after 10minutes or so i got a syringe and drizzled some water in their mouths after 20-25 minutes later they were both the same curious little Darwins as they were before this happened,and yes i still have them.

yes mate. dehydration can be very quick and does casue them to go limp and lifeless..

one thing people should remember is that when you set a thermostat at a calibrated temperature.. a lot of the time it wont maintain the temp at the set level.. it will be up or down.. thermostats are notorious for this.. and temps should be monitored with thermometers to find out the true reading.. I have thermostats that I have set at all sorts of settings :D but they keep the temps constant at what I want and check by both thermometers and laser gun hand held themometers. heat can kill a young snake before you realise it.

Also some of them seem to go crazy and let the temps soar way above the desired level.. I had this recently myself and had to turn the thermostat off for a few minutes then let it reset and it was fine.

Hopefully no news is good news. This is very sad as this shop was a fairly good one but has changed owners in the last year. Did you take you snake to Dr Sally in North Shore?

sounds to me like it was mite spray probably Permoxin? now

I was only talking to my vet about Permoxin on Monday and using it on snakes as a guy I bought 2 snakes off 6wks or so ago used it on them before selling them to me, she said that in no uncertain terms would she use Permoxin on reptiles, cant remember why (having a brain fart today) so yeah, not sure if I was any use there :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back