PRICE CHECK Hyacinth Macaw

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok let me give you all a run down on the current situation with the Hyacinth Macaws. Firstly there is an imbalance in sexes (with few birds bred so far as a result). The gene pool is small and the cost of a single bird is around $40 000 to $50 000 a bird. Their rarity and price has not deterred people (mostly wealthy) from placing orders to buy them mainly as pets. As such it is rare to see them publicly advertised for sale as they are snapped up quite quickly. As a result anyone who does see them advertised within Australia must be cautious although the occasional legitimate bird does come up for sale but once in a very blue moon. Blue & Gold Macaws on the other hand are at a low price of $7000 a bird at present (I'll have some available in a month or so). Before taking the step to owning a macaw the potential owner needs to do a lot of research and preperation. I hope this helps to answer people's questions. If not ask more and i'll try and answer them.

Kak

yea i no about the blue and golds, ill be caring for one at the start of this wk fun fun fun hopefully i wont end up missing any fingers :p

thanks so much for the info on those hyacinth mecaws kak1 im glad i have all this cleared up now i think all mecaws are amazing i do love the african greys i saw someone on petlink advertising that they lost theres this wk... how mad would u be?
owel

hahaha im actually a tad nervous its exciting but there HUGE haha

Yeah our birds are big and boast a voice to match. I've been in an aviary with Hyacinths and they are much bigger than Blue & Golds as most would know. I'm sure you will have a great time with the bird.

Kak

Here is a pic for missllamathuen of the two birds I was able to photograph. I hope you like it.

Kak

Attachments

• Hyacinth Macaw.jpg
    Hyacinth Macaw.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 83
thankyou so much u lucky duck there beautiful!!
i actually drempt about hyacinths and blue and golds last nite they were in my backyard running around with the dog and cats haha weird i no...
anyway! for a laugh i replied to the s.a persons add (who was supposedly selling them for 2500) to see what kind of stuff they would make up this is what they said

Hiya ,
thanks for the mail and interest in the mail.
Hyacinth macaws are known to be the most gentle of all the macaw species.
They are relatively calm, yet still playful in and out of the cage. They
have incredibly strong beaks and jaw muscles, yet hardly use them when out
of the cage. A hand-raised Hyacinth Macaw makes the ultimate pet. Hyacinth
macaws not only have yellow face patches and eye rings, but a pale yellow
hue to all of their skin except their feet.our birds are raised amongst kids
and other pets .they are already DNA certified and comes with a health
guarantee .i will like to know if you will like a pair or a single bird
because we are giving the pair including the shipping to your nearest
airport for $800 and a cage .so i will like you to answer the following
questions for me .
Have you ever owned a bird before?
do you want to breed them?
how much time do you think you can sacrifice for them?
please , don't want to hurt but just want to be sure of the type of home the
birds are going to.if you are going to take te pair for $800 ,
i await the following informations from you .
your nearest airport address..........
full contact informations and the time you are expecting to get the birds.
i await an answer from you soon.
Kind Regards.
Cheers!!!

i dont understand how idiots like that get away with trying to scam people

anyway thanks everyone for all ur help especially kak1 what u said has been so interesting!
thanks again
lana

You should report this person to the authorities - they could easily track down through the internet who they are! I wonder how many people have already been scammed!?

there is a place on the northern beachers selling blue and yellow macaws for like 5-8 grand, hand reared they are just bout to come into stone i think

The rule is do not buy what you cannot see in the flesh. My wife breeds Eclectus parrots. You wouldn't believe how many times people have tried to scam her. Money is in the bank where is my bird.

As most of us would know the internet is a haven for serial pests, spammers and conmen (as well as good people like us herpers). Any time a scam shows up it should be reported immediately. A man has just been jailed for ripping people off by "selling" them macaws at cheap prices. Ofcourse the birds never turned up at the airport where people were waiting to pick them up. We breed Macaws (Hahn's & Blue & Gold), Amazons, Caiques and other species and have no problem showing people (who are purchasing from us) the birds. I'd be careful and do some serious homework before buying over the net. Yes I sell over the net at times but almost always let potential buyers view the birds if time permits.

Sorry to bring up an old thread (if it's old) but I saw this thread while searching random stuff.

There are about 30 odd Hyacinths registered in Australia.. But there are more out there. Females are rarer than the males so they fetch $70,000 aud while the males are $50,000.. Pretty much anyone who's buying one will be using it in a breeding program to hopefully up the gene pool.

There's not just three species on macaws in Australia either. There's nearly every species.. Greenwings, scarlets, hahns, severe, red fronted, military, hyacinth, yellow collar, blue and gold.. Even a lutino blue and gold, only one in Australia and the 4th known in the world.. It's currently up for sale too :p and even buffons which there's only two registered.. but more unregistered.

The rarer macs like the military, red fronted and such are usually about $50,000.

Huge waiting lists on the rarer ones, too. We're talking years, not just months.

Just so you know. :)

ally_pup you posted our link lol. That's my mates aviary establishment which I work at. We attend sales etc and you will see us at a few in the near future hopefully.

Recividist,

You have hit the nail on the head with your post however there are a few less then 30 registered Hyacinths but definately a few other non registered one's about. Great post by the way.

Last edited:
Those lutino's look cool but I think I would get a coloured one over a lutino any day. The colours on all the macaws are amazing - they are my favourite and can't wait to get one - its gonna be a long wait though :cry:

It's all good Ally. Hopefully people will find some good info on the site. Feel free to post it anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back