Tortoises or turtles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLACkra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey interesting debate but i thought tortoise was terrestrial and turtle was aquatic. but that seems to not be the case. what is the differece? what is the definition? also does australia have any tortoises?

cheers

Andrew

what i have heard is that turtles have flippers with no claws and tortoises have feet with claws on them

yea, i beleive that there are no true tortoises native to australia, although some people call long neck turtles tortoises.

Turtles are aquatic (well spend the majority of their time in water). Tortises are terrestrial.

Australia has fresh water turtles, they are not tortises. Also sea turtles of coure.

We don't have any tortises native to australia.

hahaha i love it how everyone has their own opinion and thoughts...we're all probably wrong! :p

lol Nope it's a fact...

Check in your Australian Protected Wildlife Record book, and you will not see Tortise mentioned.

I dont know if you get them with your licence in WA, but it has a listing of all protected Australian Widlife.

If you can prove me wrong you can have both my pet snakes, hows that for a deal !!! ;)

Found this hope it helps from the John Cann book

Tortoise or Turtle?
The names applied to freshwater Chelonians or Testudines differ between countries. Australia, which has no true land tortoises, finds it convenient to use the term tortoise, leaving turtle for the marine species. There is one exception to the rule in the form of the Pig-nose Turtle (Carettochelys Insculpta), a recent discovery in Australia which indeed warrants the use of the term freshwater turtle.

Often when the subject arises, Australian tortoises are called turtles. In some respects this is perhaps a better term. In many other countries the use of the term tortoise is restricted to the terrestrial, or land-dwelling species and, as a result, our "pet" tortoises are often deprived of the water which is essential for their survival.

It's basically a common name, so there is no right or wrong. About 20-30 years ago, all the aussie freshwater turtles were commonly called tortoises. Now they are called turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back