waterproofing - sealing enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eriquar

Reaction score
Hi, just after some suggestions and advice on sealing reptile enclosures. What is the best type of sealant to use? I know it has to be non toxic. Is there any particular brand/type that is more prefered or used?

I did get some clear waterbased stuff, for use in aquariums, but found it went a bit rubbery and a little flakey when it set.

Cheers

Erica

sealer

I used Marine grade timber varnish/ 3 coats with 24 hr between coats as instructions on tin. enclosure left out side to cure and gas off before use...... should get glass fitted this week and then she be finished.

do you use silicon sealant in the tube. I have just used Selleys silicon paint over sealant. I am going to be painting over it quite a few times so the level of toxicity shouldnt matter so much, and the hardware guy said itd be fine

Hi Eriquar,

Try Crommelin Natural Finish Sealer - you can get it from Bunnings.

Mmmmmm...... Bunnings.... hehe..

I've attached the .pdf file for you to have a look at. Hey it just occurred to me - I use Wattyl ID Stone Effect on all of my enclosures (which this stuff is great for sealing) - but i'm not sure how it goes on MDF or pine.....?

Hope this helps,

regards,
Lockie

Attachments

• Crommelin Natural Finish Sealer.pdf
    89.5 KB · Views: 98
I have been advised by a professional that West System Epoxy Resin is the best thing to use and safe. It may take a little time to track down depending on where you are.

We have used Gripset 51, you can get it from Bunnings, very easy to use, but it is black.

sorry to hijack this thread but would you use these same things over mallamine coated mdf??

cheers

I use Sikaflex. I seen it mentioned in a Wiki item here on building enclosures. Can't seem to find it now! But I get it from Bunnings. It is non toxic and mould resistant and waterproof and flexible (so it says on the tube).

Just reading your post again, you do mean corner sealing not the whole enclosure?

i undercoat a few layers, sand/polish smooth (real smooth is best) and cover using duraseal adhesive plastic, the stuff you would cover a school book with. then run a bead of silicon around the corners... borrowed the idea from greg maxwell's book... but improved it by using different colours and shapes to "landscape"...

i have also once used wattyl stone effect on a cage but it is tough to keep clean

The sealing along the edges of the enclosure on the inside, Where the melamine has been joined together. .

We have 2 enclosures on the go at the moment, One for her Bredli and one for my new Stimson Python.

Paintable silicon is fine.

I'll go down to Bunngings on Wednesday afternoon after work and I'll suss it all out.. All that needs to be done now, is order in the glass and then get the sealer and we're set :D.

i use high moisture resistant melamine and put bathroom/kitchen grade silicon in the joints before screwing together.
cheers:)

i was going to use a good quality pva glue on all the open ends to seal them before i join them..

will this be ok??

im also goint to make an enclosure ut of 12mm pine plywood next.
i will just coat the whole thing in a thick coat of laquer (something non toxic)
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back