Amyae/Asper breeders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarzan

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering what type of substrate you guys may use in your nesting box for your Amyae/asper

I dont use a nest box for my Asper, she lays on the bottom of the tank. What sort of set up are you using?

I use the same=> sand in a box, however at the moment I also have a tnim layer of sand as substrate (will be changing this)

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

Though she missed last time LOL

DSC00529.jpg

I just use about 10 cm of red sand ovber the whole enclosure floor. This way they get to choose where they want to lay.

Hi

I use approx 2.5cm of normal sand over the entire floor of the enclosure. The sand is piled up in one corner approx 10cm high and kept just wet enough to enable digging. She finds the best side and excavates her nest hole. Two hides are place elsewhere in the enclosure

Thanks alot guys i will give these suggestions some consideration. i currently have them on beach sand about 40mm deep hot end and cool moist end with a lunch box with moist sphagnum moss in the middle. heat pad underneath the warm end and 40 watt red globe at the warm end as well. Are the eggs the same principal as snake eggs ie don't roll them try to keep them as they are laid?

is the sand there ontop of the eggs?, they dig and hole and lay there eggs correct?
btw we all have to miss sometimes :shock:

one more question. do you incubate them in the sand mix or go to the more traditional vermiculite method?

Thanks for those pics Dr nick thats proof your technique is good, great qaulity shots to. do you find the eggs are really easy to see in the female i can see faint white masses in my female not sure if i am hoping or looking at some organs.

Thanks for those pics Dr nick thats proof your technique is good, great qaulity shots to. do you find the eggs are really easy to see in the female i can see faint white masses in my female not sure if i am hoping or looking at some organs.

Certainly not my technique but definitely a successful one. I have also had her lay in heaped sand as per other keepers- you normally can tell when they are about to drop as they will often dig 'test holes' one or two nights before dropping. As this is only my first season with asper I am sure some of the other experienced keepers could offer you more advice.

The eggs weren't as easy to see as I have noted in other geckos, however she gets noticeably fatter so I can definitely tell when she has eggs. I have weighed her in the week before her last clutch and she had put on about another 40% from her previous weighing.

DSC00249.jpg

They look like little aliens when they hatch ... this one popped out tonight

Attachments

• amyae5.jpg
    amyae5.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 92
Thanks again DrNick, mine is not this fat but has some abdominal swelling compaired to my other female i have not had them long so i don't have any experience to draw on, i will however weigh her tonight than again next week. thats tops code red i can't wait until i hatch some of my own thanks for the pic i see you use perlite as your incubation medium. I have only ever used vermiculite with my jungles always had good hatch rates on it but have read some good articles on perlite i might give it a go.

Just weighed my guys were all sold to me as 3 years olds. male 1, (29 grams) male 2, (28 grams)
female 1, (29 grams) female 2, (36 grams) how do these weights go compaired to you guys? looks promising for female 2 though.

the perlite to water ratio was a little dryer than normal at about 2:1.
I only used perlite because thats all they had at the local hydro shop, but after using it for all my snakes and lizards this season (about 20 clutches all up) I prefer it over vermiculite.

The male weights sound good, but the girls may be a little small. For comparison, my girls are 45-55 grams each.

Just weighed my guys were all sold to me as 3 years olds. male 1, (29 grams) male 2, (28 grams)
female 1, (29 grams) female 2, (36 grams) how do these weights go compaired to you guys? looks promising for female 2 though.

Are they amyae weights? my yearling amyae are heavier than those already, but it depends on their feeding regime and other conditions.

My asper are heavier than those as well :lol:

No these are my Amyae i am feeding every 2nd day, woodies and crickets they seem to eat as much as they want and i remove what they turn there noses up at. mind you i have only had them for 2 to 3 weeks

just leave some roaches in overnight (but not too many). Thats when they pig out the most. In the morning you'll end up with cockroach shaped amyae poo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back