Rats eating there own

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazer

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been breeding my own rats for a while now in an outside enclosure and after they give birth I place them inside in a plastic tub to feed them up. But lately the mother rats have been eating the young sometimes only one or two per litter others they will eat them all in one night.
Just wondering if anyone has any idea's Like are they lacking in something or is this just the norm.

They could be lacking in calcium or protein, Rodents sometimes also kill off any offspring that show any genetic abnormalities.. Maybe introduce a new breeding line?

some mums just do it. they will always eat one or two but you wont always see this as they will do it as soon as there born most runts get eaten but not all do. Is she a young rat? has she has litters before? Give her a few chances but if she eats litter after litter knock her off. Make sure they mums have lots of food make sure you feed a couple of different things to it treat it with vegies. other then that good luck with it

Thanks caustichumor I have heard that they will kill there offspring. but i didn't know if it was a myth or not.

The mum rats all eat Fresh fruit & veg, biscuits ,bread ,cat and dog biscuits, corn flakes, wheat bix, pasta some have bred before some not.

make sure you rub your hand on their litter to remove the human scent before touching the babies. Some Rats even mice are very perculiar on the human scent and will kill offsprings just because the dont smell right. I have transfer litters between females and some times I have had females kill the transfered babies. The other issue that you may have is the food/water to litter ratio. to little food/water for the amount of offsprings.

Pablo

Try not to touch the babies at all use gloves or tweezers try to not get any of your smell on them

If you are using gloves alos rub them in the litter, preferally the stuff with urine.

put in tubs before they give birth, not after. we breed alot and, unlike mice, rats will eat a lot of their own young if anthoher female is present. make sure there is only one female per tub when giving birth untill weaning

NEVER feed cat and dog bisciuts, as these contain meat products and are most likely the cause, i use mice/rat cubes and no other food at all, and never have any babies eaten.

matthew just beat me to it the dog and cat food is likely the problem, buy some rat and mouse cubes. I also feed mine grain just for something different

There have been plenty of threads on this topic before, i must admit i do the opposite to what many auggest here and have no problems i keep about 5-20 together at any one time and dont have any issues with them getitng eaten, i also feed them dog food as part of their diet(use stuff thats lower in salt). I also never use gloves or put rat urine on my hands...

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps/rats-eating-babies-37276

I don't believe the human smell thing at all, i used to breed at least 10 litters per week and would always handle the babies with bare hands while cleaning the cage and it nver caused them to eat the babies.
Stress is almost always the problem.

The only time myne have eaten their babys is when i forgot to check their water.
When they get dehydrated they will eat the young.

I don't believe the human smell thing at all, i used to breed at least 10 litters per week and would always handle the babies with bare hands while cleaning the cage and it nver caused them to eat the babies.
Stress is almost always the problem.

I agree, and putting them into a new environment my cause this. I recently gave a mate 4 sub adult rats, which he threw in with his other adult rats, 2 days later 2 of the new rats were gone.... I also have a friend who bred her bull terrier, it for some reason ate the pups??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back