Rat Problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange world. You want to get rid of your rat and many on this site pay good money for theirs
Bob

Any ideas of how to get rid of them/it?
Go to the local store, ask for a rat trap,,The type that kills, set it, using some peanut butter or bacon rind or both,
Then empty the dead rat into the bin.
Problem solved tiri..
Humane traps are not that humane when you consider the amount of time and stress that both rat and human go through.
Kill the feral.

...you could catch it in a humane trap .... and then find your nearest colony of hawks to release it near hehe

One of my friends humanely caught a mouse, drove 15 min out of town to release it and a hawk came down and ate it. lol

its true, the longer you leave the rat in those 'humane' traps the less humane it is!
the snap shut ones are the most humane and ethical thing to use with out a doubt. im laughing at the thought of releasing the damb things...haha its a crazy idea. pests....KILL them. as mentioned peanut butter is usually good cause they cant grab it an run away therefor not getting snaapped. they stay, they eat....they die (hopefully)

good luck

maybe im stirring a bit... But if the go kill it comment was made by someone in regards to a snake they would be spoken about harshly...

Where is the world is it ok to let the rat live? With out being a pest...

I know they are a pest... But is it the rats fault? I believe its ours for introducing them..

I still think the non killing way would be best... but your to you... Killing it without poisen and feeding it to another animal could also work as you would not be wasting its life as much as throwing it in the bin

I trapped a 'rat' and it turned out to be a melomy. Lucky I used a humane trap.

Hi Tiri

It could also be a native bush rat or antecinus which also will live in houses if there is a way in and food available and they can be so destructive!! We have them everywhere at work, in the buildings etc but we are close to bushland so unless you have nearby bushland its probably a black rat or similar.

We use elliot traps and them relocate them, at least that way you can ID it before you feed it to your snake...;)

So we've stopped up the pantry, hidden the fruit bowl.. so its taken to chewing newspaper, delving into the sugar bowl and eating its way through oven mitts o_O
Is this the work of a melomy...?? dont think so..
Do melomies occur in Brisbane?

Hi Tiri

It could also be a native bush rat or antecinus which also will live in houses if there is a way in and food available and they can be so destructive!! We have them everywhere at work, in the buildings etc but we are close to bushland so unless you have nearby bushland its probably a black rat or similar.

We use elliot traps and them relocate them, at least that way you can ID it before you feed it to your snake...;)

I live along the Berowra Valley bushland park (a few ks away from you) and have never found anything but Rattus rattus near the house. The good thing about the baits we use is that they only entice rodents - not Antechinus.

go to bunnings and buy the plastic rat trap, use a tiny bit of peanut butter as already stated. when the rat is caught you do not even have to touch it. just open it over the bin and drop in the dead rat.
it does not get an ymore simple than that.
cheers:)

They are Rattus rattus - aka sewer rats.

Just to clear up about rats and their names – Sewer rat (Or often called brown rat) is rattus Norvegicus and the Black Rat is Rattus Rattus. You can find some information on them below.

Black rat (Rattus Rattus) is identified by a tail much longer than its body, often lives on its own in the bush – often send climbing trees and sometimes in houses. If you have this rat in your house – it may be a single rat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Rat

Brown Rat (Rattus Norvegicus) or better known as feeder rats is identified by a shorter tail (lighter body build) and is often found in family groups – often found in houses. If you have this rat in your house – chances there are more – lots more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Rat

Poisoning rats has limited success – a rat will take a small bite (nibble) of a new food and wait for a while – if it does not get sick it will then start to eat. If another rat smells the food on the first rat’s breath – it will go for that food.

The most humane way to rid the house of rats (and may be mice) is to get one of these devices

http://www.gadgetcentral.com.au/pages/product.asp?ProductID=848

What it does is to simulate a rat distress calls (It is like someone is yelling/crying very loud to the rat).

Warning it may have an impact on other animals in the house.

If you choose to use a trap of some sort try
Peanut butter
Fat (They love fat – drip it onto the trap)
Bread and jam

And to get them take the bate – feed them the bate for a day or two. That way they will not be afraid of the new food. Tellon

Thank you everyone.

We'll have to get rid of it now.. its found its way upstairs and into the top of my Blue Tongue's tank.. Very lucky it decided not to have a go at my blue tongue.. Very Lucky.

Now Im worried my bluey might have picked up a disease from the rat.. is this possible?

Actually, Ill start a new thread on that.. consider this one closed :)

i had to wrap razor wire around the clamp of a rat trap a couple of years ago so it actually killed the rats. worked a treat, i highly recommend it. also, steel wool in the holes they are getting in stops them really well. i havnt had a mouse in the house for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back