Keeping Cornsnakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Asian gets my vote. I was thinking of buying the new Pythons of the World book until I found out it was about Ball Pythons.

Yes Asian gets my vote. I was thinking of buying the new Pythons of the World book until I found out it was about Ball Pythons.

Get it anyway, it has some fantastic info on general python biology, husbandry and diseases. The pretty pictures of all the Ball Python morphs are just the cream on top :D

I just don't want to be seen to be promoting exotics by purchasing such a provocative book. ;)

Phew ! busy morning , I've been throwing away all my Attenborough Doco's & books incase it leads to 'them' finding my arctic wolf & my collection of small Patagonian mammals.

Yeah I saw that book too, and was a little surprised. I mean yeah sure, maybe its just for 'educational' purposes, but why sell it at an expo where it will be exposed to SO many people that may only just be getting into snakes and herps as a hobby? These people would probably have no idea that corn snakes are illegal. Leave it on the shelf in a pet or book store for people to find it if they want it. I dont think they should have had it on display at a native animal expo.

bahahahahaha , you and the millions of aussies better not watch in cold blod tonight just in case it temps you and the millions of viewers to get non aussie snakes .thay should leave this sort of show to the video shops and internet....bahahaha ....theres only one thing holding the hobby in australia back and thats small minds ...dont blame the goverment...

The fact of the matter is:
  • Herp keeping in the US is much more developed than in Australia
  • The US market is much bigger than Australia’s
  • Australian restrictions is making it hard for people to go into owning or breeding snakes
  • The basic requirements for corn snakes can be applied to other snakes – for example – heat, hide, substrate and guards around heating items.
Like it or not – much of modern snake husbandry was developed on non-Australian snakes. And if you want to leverage all the global knowledge – you will need to read about what others have found to work on non-Australian snakes.

Buying a book on keeping corn sakes will help a keeper better understand some requirements of their pet pythons. The Australian market is too small for a large range of books to be written on Australian snakes for the Australian market. If restrictions on keeping snakes were relaxed and a greater percent of the population kept them as pets things might change.

Colors – Currently corn snakes have some very stunning colors – but if you breed and work on your local snakes – you too will have some stunning snake patterns and colors. As I pointed out before Australian snake keeping is still in its infancy compared to here in the US.

In relationship to Herp products – most Australian herp products (A small range) are mainly imported from the US and are still sold with the US packaging. Changing the packaging will increase the cost of keeping your pet snake.

pfft whatever :lol:

hay cris dont scoff at miss croft she makes a good piont
australia is still the baby in nearly all aspects of life and you only need to travel outside of australia to see that..
i hope your not one of the small minds holding us back...

I was going to type a longer reply but didnt see the point...

Im not sure who you refer to as "us" but this is a book about corn snakes, not really much to do with anything else. I dont really care if they sell these books, but they are hardly any use regarding husbandry of pythons. Its just like buying a book about kittens to learn how to look after a dog.

I really couldnt be bothered going into the other points, my first reply addressed that well enough.

Cris – you are too sweet – me things me got an admirer

Me things that cris likes people with much betterer grama :p

By the way - herp keeping books... I have a huge interest in ball pythons, corn snakes, garter snakes (nah, not really I was just thinking of snakes and that was the first that came to mind) and I even watched a video devoted to the likes of those three snakes... I learnt all about how they captured puff adders and I can't recall the other one they captured, but it sure wasn't an Aussie!

I then read a book that has jags, balls, boas etc in it... In fact I own that book...

So what?

I also am looking for a book that has a bunch of illegal plants in it.... I'm not growing them.

And no - it's not smokeable plants... Though I am sure they do burn.

When I find that book I will buy it...

Personally - people's choice in the people's world....

Everyone else has stated ideally the same as I have :)

I would have thought corns are looked after the same as most other snakes!

As far as the book goes, get over it, unless there was a sign there saying 'buy a corn snake, get a free guide to them' its not a problem :rolleyes:

If I buy a book on corn snakes does that mean I will rush down to the pet store and buy one..?
aaaagh that's right they don't have any, guess I'll have to buy something local....

Per

I have a copy of "Corn snakes in captivity", dont have any corn snakes though, i also have a book on serial killers and a book on The Darwin Awards.
But i have no intention of killing the masses or removing myself from the gene pool
Am i odd?

the shop you are talking about us.
we sell the book keeping corns because it is only a book for information purposes. other books we have,
have extoic speices and australian speices does that mean these books should not sold.

Most reptile products have extoic speices on them does that mean they should not be sold too. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back