best food for rats?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james thompson

Reaction score
Hey all,I was just wondering if any of you experienced rat breeders out there know how to get rats up to jumbo size,and I mean REAL big.I have bought frozen rats a couple of times and they were massive but none of mine seem to get that big.I am currently feeding them on bio mare cubes.Anyone got any tips? Cheers , James

let them grow... is about all i can say, most of these real big ones are in excess of 6 months old. probably go for barastoc rat pellets two as they have a higher protein %

rat pellets, fresh fruit and make sure they have a contant supply of water. Keeping them in larger enclosures seems to make a difference as well - more exercise.

We used to give our grow out rats lots of fruit and vegies in addition to their rodent pellets. Also as said above keeping growout rats in a larger enclosure seems to help. Dave made enclosure out of half a rainwater tank with a mesh lid which had lift up doors so you could clean it out easily. But then, back in those days we had lots and lots of ratties. Could be because they get more exercise hence need more to eat maybe?? And make sure a good supply of water as well. Do not feed them bread. Apparently not good for them. Cheers Cheryl

rodent pellets,cubes fruit and vege and mare and foal pellets is what i feed all mine

I know that Sprague Dawley rats (albino looking) grow quite large. Males can get to a kilo sometimes. I think the Hooded Wistars (Brown or black head, white body) are a bit smaller. Perhaps if you can contact your local university's animal house, they can give you some information on rat breeds and when they feed their rats.

Four major ingredients seems to work.

1. Plenty of space,
2. Fresh Fruit and Vegies
3. Clean water &
4. Rat Pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back