Steve Irwin Widlife Reserve - Court Result.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said Glider, just because the property is assocaited with a celebrity doesnt make any differance. Minning is essential, it is going to happen somewhere. I would much rather the suitaibilty of an area be considered ahead of its celebrity value. The whole Irwin "conservation" thing isnt really genuine IMO anyway, as you say they are planning to increase grazing, what the ?

So what your saying Chris is that even though land is set aside by the govt in the spirit of conservation, it should still be vulnerable to being ripped up if the money is right.

Sorry mate but I just can't help but think that your one sided anti Irwin attitude is clouding your judgement.

..we can all be responcible for ourselves....whether it be the choice of unleaded fuel or not
or non-bleached..recycled. toilet paper..lol.....aerosol cans....to solar heating..

the list is endless... & its a highly emotional subject to us all
its not about changing the world...you cant change anything...but we can educate it :D

But dragon lady, everyone has said that if you use electricity or do anything whatsoever that could have a negative impact on the environment, then you are contradicting yourself. So using their train of thought, we should do nothing. The intelligent people who taught me this valuable lesson know that giving up is best and doing nothing is easiest, they have opened my eyes that if something is hard or in trouble there's no helping it, just let it go down hill. These same people also know everything, so if you have any questions regarding any topic, be sure to ask them, as they will happily sit back and type. But don't try to get them to do anything that requires effort. These people know that we aren't fluid, they know that nothing is better than doing something, they are gods at giving up or shutting things down, they know it all.

JJS.......HELL..STOP THE WORLD....ITS TOO HARD......WE BETTER GET OFF!

or maybe we just learn ,grow,evolve!

So what your saying Chris is that even though land is set aside by the govt in the spirit of conservation, it should still be vulnerable to being ripped up if the money is right.

Sorry mate but I just can't help but think that your one sided anti Irwin attitude is clouding your judgement.

Thats not what he's saying at all, if you read though the actual words written:
"I would much rather the suitaibilty of an area be considered ahead of its celebrity value"

And it's not one-sided anti-Irwin attitude, it's just the OTHER side of the blindly Irwin-biased majority of this site. I'm not having a go at him (omg I better go put on my flame suit). I'm just pointing out that some of us are actually willing to consider ALL the facts around the circumstances before we form an oppinion, not just follow the 'Dead hero Irwin up against the big bad government and huge bad in-bed-with-the-red army mining company' brigade.

I personally have mixed feelings about the intentions of BOTH sides.

But of course the actual words I type and point I'm making will be lost in the torches and pitchforks which are sure to follow my post...

I'm not even taking the fact it's Irwin's into account. Whether it's he's or not makes no difference. There are many more sustainable options. It's just heaps easier to rape our land and sell cheap to overseas, which they will probably sell back to us in product form for ridiculous amounts. There are so many sustainable ways of doing things. Look around the world, many places have raped their land for a quick buck, now they are left with nothing, and their country turns to ****e from an environmental point of view.

Adolf Hitler didn't contravene any German laws when he perpetrated the holocaust either.

Just because you don't 'break' the law doesn't automatically mean it is right!

I am well aware the decision gives Cape Alumina exploration rights or 'environmental studies', or whatever else you want to call them, and I mentioned that in my original post.

Yes, Cape Alumina has done everything by the book, it's amazing how you can do everything by the book when you throw an open cheque book at QCs and SCs.

This isn't just about Steve Irwin's Wildlife Reserve, it is about the we way we treat pristine natural habitat.

Its all well and good to say how evil the mining companies are, but nobody seems to be interested in the fact that the company has every right by law to do what they're doing. They had legal interest in the land well before Steve and Terri came along, and have done everything by the book so far. They haven't been given permission to actually mine, they have been fighting for their legal right to access the land to carry out ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES on their potential target areas, which by the way do not cover the whole Bertiehaugh Pastoral Lease, but about 15% of the area. And yes, the land is still listed as a Pastoral Lease (ie, grazing land) and has been for many years, with FOI documents revealing the Irwins were/are planning to substantially increase grazing activities. So much for pristine bush.

Do you see anyone caring about the property next door? There's no fenceline between the two, just a line on the map, the land is exactly the same, but nobody gives a crap about that do they?

Camalco etc have had a vested interest in Bertiehaugh for longer than Steve Irwin has been famous! It doesn't matter that the Irwin's bought the property, they were stupid to fight it as they have no grounds. That property has no legal protection, they just slapped the title 'wildlife reserve' onto it - anyone can do the same for their property.

Furthermore, the Irwin's do not own the property - they own the lease. The property is owned by the governement. In the long run, companies like Camalco mine a small area of land relative to the amount of money that is put back into CYP.

Camalco etc have had a vested interest in Bertiehaugh for longer than Steve Irwin has been famous! It doesn't matter that the Irwin's bought the property, they were stupid to fight it as they have no grounds. That property has no legal protection, they just slapped the title 'wildlife reserve' onto it - anyone can do the same for their property.

Furthermore, the Irwin's do not own the property - they own the lease. The property is owned by the governement. In the long run, companies like Camalco mine a small area of land relative to the amount of money that is put back into CYP.

I wouldn't say they were 'stupid to fight it' good on them for having a go, rather than sitting back saying, 'Oh well, what can we possibly do' and putting it in the too hard basket like most people would have.

The fact that this piece of land has links to Steve Irwin is irrelevant, the point is what the Court has condoned with their decision.

Anyway I've made my point, enough said, you either agree or you don't, your choice.

Thats not what he's saying at all, if you read though the actual words written:
"I would much rather the suitaibilty of an area be considered ahead of its celebrity value"

And it's not one-sided anti-Irwin attitude, it's just the OTHER side of the blindly Irwin-biased majority of this site. I'm not having a go at him (omg I better go put on my flame suit). I'm just pointing out that some of us are actually willing to consider ALL the facts around the circumstances before we form an oppinion, not just follow the 'Dead hero Irwin up against the big bad government and huge bad in-bed-with-the-red army mining company' brigade.

I personally have mixed feelings about the intentions of BOTH sides.

But of course the actual words I type and point I'm making will be lost in the torches and pitchforks which are sure to follow my post...

Take your hand off it mate.
I don't care if it has a celebrity name on it or not. You are missing the point.
How about you explain "all the facts" then buddy, seeing as you have "considered the circumstances".

And we would all appreciate the soap boxing kept to a minimum.

DanN, almost no property has legal protection. Legality doesn't mean it's right.

Hi Guys,

I don't think the courts are condoning anything - they are merely upholding the law. The Irwin's know full well the Qld governments laws on mining and the mining company has just as much right as the landholder. While nobody likes to see such areas destroyed for mining, the Irwins would have known this would happen before they bought the property.

In the end nobody is 'right'. I just think, in the entirety of the issue, the Irwin's have bigger fish to fry then protecting a small area of a 255,000ha property.

The law states that it is proven against the law if you know of it to be against the law

in other words...do you know right from wrong...morals

no law court in the civilisation can deem that a individual or union has done a illegal act
if they have the understanding that they are right

in other words.....its about choice,morals,beliefs

these things are not found in the corporate world

I thought the term was ignorance of the law is no excuse? As destructive as mining is, It is certainly much more environmentally focused then previous decades. Revegetation and habitat reconstruction where non-existant 30 years ago, It is just a pity all these raw materials go to china to be made into cheap,disposable merchandise...

WELLLL it's ONLY one LITTLE bit of land..................... can't do any harm, can it???? Surely, it won' be missed THAT much.... and that bit of land over there??? yeah, well, THAT's only a little bit too. that's ok. Doean;t matter atall, we don't see it every day, we don't live there, we don't know about any of the fauna that depends on those areas, they'll soon move across as we use up those little bits, THAT won't make a difference.
NOw how about that bit of land across there? THAT looks pretty good to cover with concrete, or clear of vegetation so we can make a bit of money out of it, the tourists won't mind, there's plenty more.
But hang on, what's happening? How come those animals didn't shift, stupid things, well, they're extinct now, serves them right to not adapting to our needs, they should have realised that was valuable land and they shouldn't be there. And those ones there, they're getting that way too, you'd think they'd have LEARNED by now, wouldn't you??
WEll, if they're not going to recognise that we need these LITTLE bits of land all ove rthe place, then they deserve to perish, fancy not realising their occupation of the land we can make MONEY from is needed - they should have shifted, not OUR fault they aren't there any more.

Some people never learn.

Attachments

• learningirwindi2.jpg
    learningirwindi2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 329
LMAO .........I think even STEVE IRWIN would see the funny side of this ..............:)...the learning thing ..i mean ...not the government INDIAN GIVING ........(remember that as kids when you called a sibling or mate "an indian giver" lol ) .........;)

I think he's dead RBB - he died a couple of years ago - he won't be seeing or laughing at anything!
REALLY SLIMEY HE IS DEAD :shock:................when did that happen ? how ? I went to Australia zoo the other week and got my picture taken with him ,have to admit he was a bit stiff and stayed in 1 pose but DEAD:shock:...................maybe I shouldve poked him with a stick:lol::lol:..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back