Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
My wife and I also spent a couple of nights at Daintree, QLD, before returning to Wollongong. We stayed at the Red Mill House B&B, a place that I would highly recommend for people visiting the area. The owners know a great deal about the local wildlife including reptiles. Sometimes, they see Boyd's Forest Dragons right in their yard.

Here is a view of the house. There are lots of lizards and frogs right in their yard (and house).
RedMillHouse1.jpg

These Orange-footed Scrubfowl continuously raked fallen leaves to their mound where they buried their eggs.
Scrubfowl1.jpg

Although warm, the weather was not good on this visit. The skies were grey and it was very windy and rainy at night. I did encounter a couple of snakes on the road. I saw a Brown Tree Snake in heavy rain so did not even attempt a photo. I also found this very lucky Water Python (Liasis mackloti). I stopped the car and ran back to the snake, but before I could reach it, several cars passed over it. I expected to find a mortally injured animal but somehow, they all missed it.
waterPython1.jpg

waterPython2.jpg

waterPython4.jpg

One morning, my wife and I drove up to Cape Tribulation. It was a grey day but not raining initially so we walked for a kilometer up the steep Mt. Sorrow track. I think that in good weather it would be interesting since there is elfin forest and boulders at the summit. Along the way, we saw this Lewis' Shade-skink (Saproscincus lewisi), the more northerly counterpart of Saproscincus basiliscus.
SaproscincusLewisi1.jpg

SaproscincusLewisi2.jpg

Red-throated Rainbow Skinks (Carlia rubrigularis) were common. I believe that these from Cape Trib are a different race to those from Mission Beach.
CarliaRubrigularis2.jpg

CarliaRubrigularis_daintree1.jpg

Closed-litter Rainbow Skinks (Carlia longipes) were common in the garden of Red Mill House.
CarliaLongipes1.jpg

... one near the fruit of a Blue Quondong:
CarliaLongipes2.jpg

These tiny Northern Dwarf Tree Frogs (Litoria bicolor) lived on the leaves of plants near our room.
NorthernDwarfTreeFrog1.jpg

NorthernDwarfTreeFrog2.jpg

NorthernDwarfTreeFrog3.jpg

I drove in the rain one night to Mossman Gorge (Daintree National Park) and walked the 2km nature trail with hopes of finding a Chameleon Gecko. I did not see any reptiles but there were a few frogs on the trail including this male and female Litoria jungguy. The males here look very different to those at Mission Beach.
jungguy2.jpg

... female
jungguy1a.jpg

The appropriately named Rocket Frogs (Litoria nasuata) were common in pastures.
LitoriaNasuta2.jpg

LitoriaNasuta3.jpg

Dainty Green Tree Frogs (Litoria gracilenta) were also numerous.
LitoriaCitropa3.jpg

Cairns Birdwings were common. I think that these are one of the most colourful butterflies that live in Australia.
Birdwing1.jpg

birdwing2.jpg

That completes my reports from the far northern wet tropics of Queensland.

Regards,
David

Wow!! They're great pics David!:D
I like the purple on the back of the Dainty Tree Frogs legs too.

It must have been so much fun!
Jess

Awesome Pics.... And Glad that Water Python was rescued from certain death.... Well Done...

I can't wait to holiday up there again.
I would love to move there someday too.
Amazing wildlife up there.

Thanks, all. I would love to move up there as well, gman.

My wife and I stayed at Red Mill House for out 25th wedding anniversary in May 2007. Here are a few more pics from that trip.

Boyd's Forest Dragon -- two that lived at a nearby lodge:
Boyds2.jpg

Boyds1.jpg

Boyds3.jpg

Scrub Python that had masses of ticks on its neck. It was soaking in a creek so perhaps trying to drown them.
Amethyst3.jpg

Amethyst1.jpg

One on a tree over the Daintree River:
Amethyst4.jpg

A rainbow skink (Carlia longipes) demonstrating the source of its name:
CarliaLongipes2a.jpg

One of the few Mulch Skinks (Glaphyromorphus sp.) that I have ever seen:
Glypho1a.jpg

Crocs on the Daintree River
croc2.jpg

croc1.jpg

Wood Frog:
frog1.jpg

White-lipped Tree Frog with a novel home:
LitoriaInfrenata1.jpg

Daintree River:
habitat3.jpg

habitat5.jpg

Great photos. I am organising a trip there for next January and am wanting to go with others, so let me know if there is anyone wanting to join me?

Awesome report and photos as always. I love the way you include the common names, as well as the scientific names, that way we can all understand them.:D:)

Top pics David. Love the white lips choice of resting areas :)

Thanks, all. This is a resurrected report from a couple of years ago.

Bigi, I have several carpet photos from various trips to the north. I will dig them out and add them to a reply.

Regards,
David

I've just posted a thread asking about pythons species in this area as I'll be travelling to Daintree in July. This thread is very exciting and useful, I'll look into that lodge as my base. Love to see any carpet pics you have from the area!

I know this is old but I'd just like to say, I am insanely jealous. I went up there and saw nothing.

Try and get up when it's soaking rain if you can bear it, it worth it just to see the giant blue earthworms, I can't find the pics we took of them but for any who've never heard of them(which seems to be most people I tlk to) they are totally awesome looking inverts!

Candy Colored Earthworm | The Featured Creature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back