So the cruelty does continue...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24502916-952,00.html

Ok... this is what I want this thread to turn into - if you do so choose to reply you're to reply with something positive on how WE can help.

I don't want to hear what we already know - so let's mature this up a little - we know what these people are, so why don't we band together to help stop this.

Now I guess the RSPCA are already over loaded with complaints of cruelty - but that is one of the reasons they're here - they're here to help the animals and they're on their side!!!

Now if you find a video that depicts animal cruelty - such as one pointed out in another thread, it may pay to use this email:

[email protected]

I guess if its outside of Qld you can find one for your local state.

If you notice animal cruelty you can call the police right away! I realise you'll all say they won't do a thing... But that doesn't stop you reporting it... Don't ostrich yourselves - do the right thing there and then. Otherwise if you're not supporting the animals you're supporting the attacker.

I'm sure there's a million options... So how about you enlighten us so we can work together to stop them...

Slimey ,I truely believe it starts from home, and as much as I hate to say its more of a male thing then a female (not taking one for the girls )..I dont understand why the urges to hurt or kill a small defencless animal comes to mind but it does ..alot of times the boys grow out of it and regret what they did as a kid ,I know both my brothers use to enjoy pouring petrol down a spider hole and light it and watch the spider run out of its hole on fire...and a neighbour thought it was funny to shoot kittens with a BB gun ..I suppose its really no difference in the way some people like to hunt ...and I dont care if its A FERAL animal ,you have to admit your hunting with dogs is barbaric , for not only is the feral animal terrorised before dying,but the risk to the dogs is huge too,,but this practise is accepted and loved .....so we draw the line with our natives but encourage it with our feral animals ,in a kids head it doesnt mean that much of a difference....whats even more disturbing is if the kids have been caught ,most times their own parents will laugh it off ..we live in a sick sad world ,and I honestly dont think this type of behaviour will ever end sad as it is :(

i agree redbelly, my brother and i were brought up to respect animals and go bushwalking to admire nature as we were growing up. Neither of us have ever thought to hurt an animal.

we entertained ourselves by leaving flaming turds on peoples doorsteps and playing knock and run,.! :)

That was pretty well put RBB - and I do believe it is a boy thing, you're right (more so than a girl thing anyway at the very least - but still not totally out of the loop).

I strongly believe the urge to hurt animals comes from primal instincts - our ability to hunt.

I get quite a different feeling when I've been fishing, caught a fish and killed it and then later eat it after grilling it on the BBQ later on that night.

You actually do, and I hate to say it, feel quite good - I believe there's a small amount of adrenalin and of course a boost of endorphins - it's all about survival really isn't it.

Just because we don't need to actually do that (we don't need to fish or hunt, there's plenty in the supermarket to keep us going - and you can't say it's cheap to fish and hunt so it's not an economical thing)... But as I was saying - just because we don't need to do it doesn't mean that part of our brain is turned off - we still have those urges - and clearly some more than others.

It doesn't make some of the practices right of course - but the cruelty part needs to become less acceptable.

I've said this 1000s of times, and I back up your statements RBB, just because it's feral or a toad or a rat or what ever, doesn't make it ok to torture it - but it is ok to kill it quickly if possible - with the least pain for the animal.

But as for our natives being hunted and tortured - it doesn't make it any more right (of course) but it most certainly shouldn't make it any more wrong either - we need to allow animals to be fully classed as one - and yes... Natives should be far more protected.

So what do you do if you find a cruelty video on YouTube?

I suppose its really no difference in the way some people like to hunt ...and I dont care if its A FERAL animal ,you have to admit your hunting with dogs is barbaric , for not only is the feral animal terrorised before dying,but the risk to the dogs is huge too,,but this practise is accepted and loved .....so we draw the line with our natives but encourage it with our feral animals ,in a kids head it doesnt mean that much of a difference....whats even more disturbing is if the kids have been caught ,most times their own parents will laugh it off ..we live in a sick sad world ,and I honestly dont think this type of behaviour will ever end sad as it is :(

What a load of rubbish, deliberate animal cruelty and hunting are completely differant things. Letting dogs hunt animals its just as cruel not to let them hunt IMO. They like absolutely love hunting just like many humans. Using dogs for hunting pigs is more humane than baiting and can be quite effective. To my understanding it would be technically illegal to hunt with dogs in qld. I would suggest that anyone who thinks pig hunting with dogs is bad thing has a poor grasp on reality or nature. Oppressing the human instinct to hunt may lead to some cases of animal cruelty but i think they are generally unrelated issues.

and thats your opinion cris .........mines different and as we live in a society that allows this ..i stand by what i have said ........

On the subject of the thread, i was think of reporting the RSPCA to the RSPCA for broadcasting and therefore indirectly promoting animal cruelty. They showed live feeding of mosquito fish to turtles, an illegal "cruel" practice that can get you a max of 1 years jail. It is also illegal to have mosquito fish to start with.

We've had some horror stories...someone here bludgeoned to death the mother and her litter (dogs) with a sledgehammer...they found the father just alive because he way crying so loud.

ANd one disturbing fact is in many serial killer cases, it all started with animal cruelty and worked their way up

Thanks for the email slim6y, good to know

This is just getting ridiculous if the RSPCA and the court's do not start throwing the book at these people who knows how much worse it may get. Mandatory castration or ovarie removal for the offender's probably wouldnt go astray either.

I don't think hunting and animal cruelty should necessarily be classed in the same category. Although I've never been hunting or fishing (couldn't bring myself to kill an animal), I have a regular client who hunts with his dogs and rifle every weekend. He told me he hasn't fired his gun in 7 months because in all that time he's never been 100% positive that he had the shot lined up properly, making him able to kill the animal instantly. He doesn't terrorise the animals with his dogs and never shoots to wound the animal before killing it later. In my opinion this form of hunting is responsible and sustainable, and as far from cruel as killing an animal can be.

Good thread slim.....
I despise animal cruelty, any cruelty for that matter.......that being said...humans around the world treat other humans atrociously, so what chance do animals have, all they have is people who are prepared to petition etc and try and do something about it??
Bullying as far as I am concerned is a form of cruelty.
I know a lot of complaints to the RSPCA probably go unheeded but you have to put that aside and still complain to them.
To do nothing is even worse.

if a dog went around biting killing people it would be put down.I think people who have shown that they are of no use to society should be inhumainly culled it would also give the dirty cops something to do.

What a load of rubbish, deliberate animal cruelty and hunting are completely differant things. Letting dogs hunt animals its just as cruel not to let them hunt IMO. They like absolutely love hunting just like many humans.

CATS have just as natural, if not more, an instinct to hunt.................... so therefore, in light of this statement, one could, if one wished, say exactly the same as you have just done, but in support of cats being allowed to hunt too

Slim, you have my FULL support in the cruelty issue!!!!!!!!!!

CATS have just as natural, if not more, an instinct to hunt.................... so therefore, in light of this statement, one could, if one wished, say exactly the same as you have just done, but in support of cats being allowed to hunt too

Slim, you have my FULL support in the cruelty issue!!!!!!!!!!

A very good point, i wouldnt keep a cat if it wasnt allowed to hunt(well not a live cat anyway). Its part of the reason i would like to see cats phased out as common pets in Australia.

My cats don't hunt, Chris, but the point I was trying to make is that isn't it a bit unfair on cats too to take away their natural behaviour too?? I know their hunting methods aren't particularly 'humane' by our standards, and I am against an animal being tormented before it dies, which is why I would NEVER consider feeding live to my pythons, but our garage, when the cat lived in there for a time a few years ago before the weather got too hot, became suddenly, wonderfully clear of rodents!!! We had a happy cat, and no vermin problem!!!!!

All of these stories are so sad:( Slim I back you up because of all the sad and just sick cases on animal cruelty)

It all starts for a young boy at home with his dad. If the Dad sets a good example and teaches his son RESPECT, not just for animals but Respect in general, the young boy will grow up and be a positive member of society. Sure every boy does an occasional thing to test the boundaries in which the Dad re educates the boy on the rights and wrongs. Its a very simple concept but works 100%
Also the law should state a minimum fine not a maximum as the judges never hand down the maximum. This minimum should be severe or can be paid off with many hours community service at an APPROPRIATELY run organisation, such as lost dogs home, wildlife shelters etc. These fines if paid should go directly to these organisations instead of govt coffers.
Cruelty to animals should be dealt with the same way as cruelty to humans .
Set an example for the young folk to learn from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back