So the cruelty does continue...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick the bastards in the bin, considering they did something so damn foolish, stick em in there for a week.

See how they like it.

anyhow....

I agree with what you say cracksinthepitch....

A person I know has two children (5 and 8 ) who handle their pet mice rather roughly... both are GIRLS though.

But they have to learn how to have animals at home and not hurt them - the two girls don't see what they're doing as cruel - but more as 'fun'.

So yes, you have to set an example and educate them.

But that doesn't solve the whole we need to stop it from happening now.

i agree, it all starts at home. Young boys need to be taught care and respect and the best person for that is dad. And niether of these are 5 min lessons, they are skills aquired through time and experiance.

Years ago mum stayed home with the kids while dad worked a 9-5, these days mums back at work in 2 months and dads workin 3 jobs and is only ever home on sundays, the day they go to nan and pops. People need to spend less money on daycare and more time with thier kids...

Slimey ,I truely believe it starts from home, and as much as I hate to say its more of a male thing then a female (not taking one for the girls )..I dont understand why the urges to hurt or kill a small defencless animal comes to mind but it does ..alot of times the boys grow out of it and regret what they did as a kid ,I know both my brothers use to enjoy pouring petrol down a spider hole and light it and watch the spider run out of its hole on fire...and a neighbour thought it was funny to shoot kittens with a BB gun ..I suppose its really no difference in the way some people like to hunt ...and I dont care if its A FERAL animal ,you have to admit your hunting with dogs is barbaric , for not only is the feral animal terrorised before dying,but the risk to the dogs is huge too,,but this practise is accepted and loved .....so we draw the line with our natives but encourage it with our feral animals ,in a kids head it doesnt mean that much of a difference....whats even more disturbing is if the kids have been caught ,most times their own parents will laugh it off ..we live in a sick sad world ,and I honestly dont think this type of behaviour will ever end sad as it is :(

useing your dogs for anything other than tracking is illegal in every state if you know of anybody useing the dogs as a weapon to kill the animal report it to the police and watch how quick they arrest the loosers responsible. dont get me wrong i hunt but id never use anything other than a gun to ensure a clean kill. useing dogs as a weapon is barbaric and outlawing it was imo one of the best thing done by the general hunting community.

Slimy, to stop this type of thing now i suggest a petition to the Govt representative for animals calling for a national advertising campaign educating people on this issue, also the govt needs to advertise the newly made MASSIVE fines and some sort of name and shame punishment. If we can rely on their parents to do it the Govt has to step up.
So what chance is there of the Govt doing this?Open Question

Also the law should state a minimum fine not a maximum as the judges never hand down the maximum. This minimum should be severe or can be paid off with many hours community service at an APPROPRIATELY run organisation, such as lost dogs home, wildlife shelters etc. These fines if paid should go directly to these organisations instead of govt coffers. Cruelty to animals should be dealt with the same way as cruelty to humans. Set an example for the young folk to learn from.

I was going to say the exact same thing. You always hear or read..."The offenders could face fines of up to $75,000 or up to two years' imprisonment" but they never do. More often they get a lousy $500 fine and a slap on the wrist. They really need to come down hard on people who are cruel to animals. I believe anyone found to be cruel to animals should be banned from ever having another pet and those that mistreat their animals due to ignorance should only be given 2 chances and that's it.

I'm actually going to ring the RSPCA on my mother's neighbours this afternoon. Months ago, they got 2 guinea pigs and although they bought an enclosure the guinea pigs are never in it and instead are allowed to roam the front yard where there's no fence. There are now dozens of guinea pigs running all over the yard (it's very overgrown) and mum thinks that half of them are pregnant again. Mum didn't think they were mistreating the animals but as I pointed out to her, not providing proper shelter or correct food is mistreating them. All they have to eat is grass and the odd bit of kitchen scrap and I'm sure some of them have been attacked by cats/dogs/snakes, etc.

A very good point, i wouldnt keep a cat if it wasnt allowed to hunt(well not a live cat anyway). Its part of the reason i would like to see cats phased out as common pets in Australia.

so would i but include dogs as a hunter how many feral dogs have you shot ive shot my fair share. personally i think would should phase out cats and dogs at the same time they both cause as many problems.

Advertising newly made massive fines and actually serving them are two entirely different things - unfortunately.

I strongly believe their actions are far quieter than their words.

Unfortunately, it is a boy thing usually ( as has been pointed out) and I think this type of disrespect to animals comes from stupid individuals. Many people at my school have been sharing stories about the kangaroo they culled, or the minor they shot,a nd theyre 13/14 years old! They suddenly stop when i hear and respond though:) I also think perhaps more then 2 years imprisonment may be suitable, for instance the next person to be caught for anyting of similar nature is made 'an example' of. This should teach those rednecks respect.

I think that to responsibly address the issue, it might be wise to remove the whole issue of sexes from the equation. Perhaps boys are more likely to commit acts of cruelty? The same generalisation can be applied to girls via the well known psychological tormenting and bullying of their peers, exclusionist behaviour, and the creation of cliques etc. It has gone on ad infinitum.

It really is a moot point. The real point is that kids do know what they are doing, but they don't fully understand the consequences of their actions. Surely no-one could argue against me when I suggest that an animal being hung by its neck, screaming and writhing, would not evoke a sense of compassion (at some stage) in a child? Regardless of age. Discounting sociopaths etc.

No real point blaming the parents either. Parents aren't prison wardens - my parents gave me freedom, and....I may have blown up a letter box, or ridden my mx bike through the neighbourhood when the folks were out, or.... but, I was held accountable when caught. I knew that my actions held consequences. I grew into a mostly normal adult. No scars!

No point in gaoling or extreme punishment. Violence begets violence. How can someone suggest the same acts of cruelty and degradation be visited upon the perpetrator? What does the perpetrator learn?
Dont get caught next time...

As others have suggested - the perpetrators should be made to work with animals, with animal carers, and surely their shame and discomfort will give way to understanding eventually.
We live in hope...:)

my mates hunt kangaroos, rabits foxes, all those sort of things people on properties hunt, for several reasons, but I don't care because they hit them in the head, almost instant kill as far as I know, and when they don't they have another shot to get it in the head, instead of leaving it, and i recon it is a boy thing.
you go into 50 schools and ask who the bully's are, nearly 100% of the time it will be male(the bully's that is).

know if it was cruel i would ask them to stop and change the way they kill.
and if they didn't i would tell the police.

if they where shooting there gut and then going onto the next i would be disgusted.

know if they say, burnt the all the grass, so they couldn't eat, that is cruel.

and if you see some1 doing something tell them not to do it and tell them the consiquences then if you see them doing it again call the aurthoritees.

just wanted to type alot.

Will

Why can't they build a jail that is also an animal rehabilitation centre and have the prisoners (who have been sent there for acts of cruelty or neglect) care for the animals. It would solve so many problems and take a lot of pressure off the RSPCA/animal carers in having to care for sick or injured animals. It would also help offenders in their rehabilitation and help to re-educate them on how to treat animals.

I feel that this particular area is not held in high enough importance among the vast majority of the authorities. No wonder the generel public brush it to one side. I completely disagree with the mindset that there are matters of far greater importance so we'll just ignore this one for now. unfortunatley most political efforts to address societies problems are based on the votes that may be obtained by those efforts rather than what is ethically or even economically the right thing to do.

The answer lies with emphatic people like us speaking up a bit louder than some of us probably do. I said to my best mate that when he gets his gun if he shoots protected wildlife i wouldn't have anything to do with him. The general public may not see it as such a big deal but to me its just bloody ridiculous. I feel that not enough people respond to cruelty in this way and just brush it to one side instead. If we speak up more those that can be emotionally moved may change their opinions. If unaware peolple know about it than maybe they would want to take action. with enough public dissaproval of animal cruelty consequences will increase and offences decrease. Unfortunately their are a few people out there that enjoy hurting other things, animal or human. To that minority i would like to remind them that they have something wrong with their brain and please stop breathing our oxygen. And do the world a favour. Don't reproduce.

Why can't they build a jail that is also an animal rehabilitation centre and have the prisoners (who have been sent there for acts of cruelty or neglect) care for the animals. It would solve so many problems and take a lot of pressure off the RSPCA/animal carers in having to care for sick or injured animals. It would also help offenders in their rehabilitation and help to re-educate them on how to treat animals.

To a degree, a similar thing is done all over the world. Qld for example;
http://www.dcs.qld.gov.au/Publications/Corrections_News/2008/July/CN_July08_pp8-9.pdf

For mine, it would be beneficial to see younger animal cruelty offenders avoid prison in the first place. Let them work in and amongst hundreds of sad loving eyes that are in cages.

To a degree, a similar thing is done all over the world. Qld for example;
http://www.dcs.qld.gov.au/Publications/Corrections_News/2008/July/CN_July08_pp8-9.pdf

For mine, it would be beneficial to see younger animal cruelty offenders avoid prison in the first place. Let them work in and amongst hundreds of sad loving eyes that are in cages.

That seems like a great program, but they're not dealing with animals that have been abused, neglected or who have been tortured. Let the mongreals who cause the animals to suffer be the ones that have to care for them, and not just deal with cute puppies and their mother's. For a wildlife carer, it must be horrendous to have to continually see these poor animals all the time and I'm sure after a while it must take it's toll. Let those carers take care of animals who have lost their mother's due to illness or accidents and leave the cruelty cases to the criminals. Maybe after they continually see all those poor animals suffering, then they might develop some compassion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back