What a waste of a beautiful python :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salebrosus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was out herping with my boyfriend last night who isn't relaly into reptiles and the like when he said are there any snakes that are black and white? I hit the anchors and asked why and he said cos there was something that looked like a snake but it had black and white bandings. We went back for it but it was long gone.

We drove for another 5-10 minutes when i stopped for what i thought was a bandy bandy on the very side of the road. It was well on the road reserve and had been run over. The injuries were horrific but it was still moving and thrashing about....My weak stomach couldnt handle that but i wasn't about to start blubbwering in front of my boyfriend. I was pretty upset that my first bandy bandy was in that sort of a state.

Well we got to another area when we stopped for a python, again well off into the road reserve. It was pristine, except for the fact it was dead. I see alot of these pythons with the exact same colour phase etc within the areas i go herping, sadly many end up run over.

Attachments

• my baby 024.jpg
    my baby 024.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 393
  • my baby 025.jpg
    my baby 025.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 461
I just fail to ungerstand the mentality of people who go out of thier way to kill any animal, regardless of how "nasty" they think it is!!!!!!!

I know what you mean, when they are so far off the road and there splattered you know some turkey has deliberately done it - crushing feeling to see your first bandy bandy like that.

I just fail to ungerstand the mentality of people who go out of thier way to kill any animal, regardless of how "nasty" they think it is!!!!!!!

It may not have been intentional. Someone may have simply just run over the snake in their car, not wanting to risk their own life by swerving.

I ran over a bluetongue once, simply because i didn't have time to stop, and i didn't want to swerve as i was on the crest of a hill. By trying to avoid just one bluetongue, i could have killed myself, and another motorist. Not really worth the risk on my opinion. That doesn't mean i didn't feel sick in my guts about doing it as i love my reptiles as much as anyone on here.

Sometimes the eco-warriors on here get a bit high and mighty, and forget about a bigger picture sometimes. We dont know for sure how these snakes met their end, so lets not assume that it was something sinister.

Sometimes the eco-warriors on here get a bit high and mighty, and forget about a bigger picture sometimes. We dont know for sure how these snakes met their end, so lets not assume that it was something sinister.

We are referring to the ones that deliberately run over them..............Both of these animals had to have been deliberately run over. Where these animals were found are well and truly off the road. If you see my past threads titled Road Kill and More Road Kill, i have posted photos of some stunning animals. One in particular was a bells phase lacie, where i found her next to a pool of blood (evidently the place she was run over) was more than 1 metre past the white line of the lanes. Hence, someone has driven out of the lane to hit her. Its those grubs i get on my high horse about.

As for the bandy bandy, its pretty safe to say it met its end via a tyre.

Its always possible to and I have myself run over a beautiful 9 foot coastal laying across a track, looked just like a log in the failing light....but if theres tyre marks on the animal, well off the track..odds are!

Is that a coastal in the 2nd picture,it is a shame their is ppl that run over animals just for fun,its not worth risking yourself or any1 else injury or death just to swerve to miss the animal ,if you have time do so,some times you just have 2,worse luck...

We are referring to the ones that deliberately run over them..............Both of these animals had to have been deliberately run over. Where these animals were found are well and truly off the road. If you see my past threads titled Road Kill and More Road Kill, i have posted photos of some stunning animals. One in particular was a bells phase lacie, where i found her next to a pool of blood (evidently the place she was run over) was more than 1 metre past the white line of the lanes. Hence, someone has driven out of the lane to hit her. Its those grubs i get on my high horse about.

As for the bandy bandy, its pretty safe to say it met its end via a tyre.
Sounds to me as if the lacie was running across the road, got hit and flew a metre or so where it died.. Sounds much more likely than someoe swerving a metre off the road to get it. I see dead possums lying in the gutter all the time, people don't swerve into the gutters to get them - they just bounce off cars.

You're reasoning of "these animals had to have been deliberately run over. ...[they] were found well and truly off the road" makes zero sense.

I'm with Mr Kite on this one.. just because a reptile met its end on a road doesn't mean it was deliberately run over.

im with phil things often dont die straight away and writh their way to the curbside before they actually die. things also get flung up by wheels and flicked off to the side.

im not saying that it doesnt happen we all know it does but its just something to keep in mind when there are dead things on the sides of the road may just be the way it ended up rather than someone deliberately swerving for them.

nath

im with phil things often dont die straight away and writh their way to the curbside before they actually die. things also get flung up by wheels and flicked off to the side.

im not saying that it doesnt happen we all know it does but its just something to keep in mind when there are dead things on the sides of the road may just be the way it ended up rather than someone deliberately swerving for them.

nath

Dead animals killed by human hand arent nice to see, deliberately killed or not...:|

Dead animals killed by human hand arent nice to see, deliberately killed or not...:|

i agree ??? is there a reason you quoted my post for that ?

nice python by the way it is a shame it was killed.

nathan

In Rick Shines book on Australian Snakes he says he knew someone who used to find dead snakes on the road and put a big stick next to the snake full of nails. Then he would drag the stick and snake right off the road well onto the shoulder and arrange in a lifelike position. If someone then runs over it..well they only have themselves to blame for the outcome.

I once saw a car swerve right across to the oncoming lane to hit a big goanna. I was several hundred metres behind him and I could see the goanna on the road well before he hit it! Unfortunately in a 2 stroke 3 cylinder 540cc car...I had no chance of catching them!

While it is unfortunate that sometimes you can't avoid hitting an animal...there are still too many people who make a game of going out of their way to kill them.

Yes a coastal carpet in the second shot, they are usually that colour in this area.

Hey Simone,

The carpet appears to be a hypo, and it is interesting that you say that they are usually found like that in that area, as if that is the case then that population probably shouldn't be called hypo, if you see where I am coming from. ie. Hypo meaning reduced black over the normal wild type, if they are all like that then they are the wild type for the area, so they would be classed as normal Fraser coast carpets. Not that there is anything normal or plain about that snake, it's a stunner, and a real shame some brainless git ran it over.:(

Just my 2 cents worth! ;):)

Cheers Neil

You're reasoning of "these animals had to have been deliberately run over. ...[they] were found well and truly off the road" makes zero sense.

When an animal is lying squished with guts hanging out in a pool of blood it makes perfect sense that the spot they are lying in is where they have been run over.

You obviously haven't been up this way often enough to see the road kill we see up here.

Hey Simone,

The carpet appears to be a hypo, and it is interesting that you say that they are usually found like that in that area, as if that is the case then that population probably shouldn't be called hypo, if you see where I am coming from. ie. Hypo meaning reduced black over the normal wild type, if they are all like that then they are the wild type for the area, so they would be classed as normal Fraser coast carpets. Not that there is anything normal or plain about that snake, it's a stunner, and a real shame some brainless git ran it over.:(

Just my 2 cents worth! ;):)

Cheers Neil

Hello Neil,

Yes these guys are like this all over this particular region i do my herping at. I have only ever seen one that was different and it was almost entirely black with a few caramel specks. Even that was stunning.

Yes a shame to see this one run down, might have to do another herping trip tonight.

I am curious to know if anyone on the site has been bitten by a bandy bandy before. I pulled 4 of them off the road last night, was curious to know if the effects of a bite were really so bad. One last night was less than impressed when hooked off the road it was warming itself on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back