blonde macS PLEASE HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jiemoulin

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey,
i am getting a blondie in 3 weeks a 7 days old hatchling, and i despeatly need to know what kinda globe to use, i also have a heat matt to, i want my baby to be as healthy as possiable and thrive, so is it best to use infared, uv , i also have heat matt/rock do i use these with the globe aswell???
PLEASE HELP

You won't need lights for him. The heatmat alone will provide the heat he needs to stay warm. So don't stress over the lights or the heat rock. Only use the heat mat and he will do very well.

You're getting a week old hatchling? He wouldn't have started eating yet. I hope you have the experience with ones that young, otherwise I'd be questioning the seller, selling them so young.

just put him in a click clack with a heatmat/cord (i prefer cords)
jasta is stillin a click clack and hes nearly a year old

Click Clack, heat cord or mat, sheet of newspaper, water bowl and a hide....easy.. Don't get a non feeding Anteresia unless you have experience with hatchling snakes, ( or want an experience ;) )

Is this your first snake? Why did you decide to get a 7 day old hatchling!?

Don't worry about a bulb yet. Many people never ever use a basking spot for their Macs. You have not said what type of cage you have but you dont need more than:-
Click - Clack [approx 5 - 10 lt plastic tub with fitted and sealing lid. Drill or solder breathing holes.
Heat mat.
Thermostat.
Newspaper as substrate.
Hide.
Water bowl.
Anymore than this for the first year would be unnecessary. Your snake will thrive in this any bigger and they can get scared.
NEXT problem Why 7 days old ?? At this stage they have barely had one feed - you really want a good feeding record say at least a month and 3 feeds.
If you need more help PM me.
Steven.

Make sure you use a themostat to control the temp of the mat mate. Maybe hold off on buying this snake until you know enough about how to take care of it. Get some books in the mean time maybe....

Definitely make sure you get a snake with a feeding history - I would leave it with the breeder until it is established in feeding and shedding!

NEXT problem Why 7 days old ?? At this stage they have barely had one feed - you really want a good feeding record say at least a month and 3 feeds.
If you need more help PM me.
Steven.

I know there can be exceptions to rules but generally, hatchlings won't eat at all until after their first shed which usually doesn't happen until they are about 10 to 14 days old. Then my hatchies didn't start eating until another two weeks on. Obviously the yolk from the egg is enough to sustain them for this time. So I really doubt that it has even had one feed.

Listen to what others are saying, its not a good idea getting one that young, get one that is feeding well already.

hey thanx for the reply, have an enclosure but will be keeping it in a click clack, it will have had its first shed and feed b4 i get it, but am getting hatchling cause its the only one i can find at the moment and i akso like the idea cause we will be giving it to my 18month old daughter wen she and the snake are okder so would like a young one to get used to handeling, but if you know anyone that has one a bit older and around 200 let me know. my partner and i both work with animals and reptiles plus we have kept water dragons, gecko's, jackies, blue tounges ect, but this wil be the first snake at home, had plenty of them at work but the systems there are advanced and controled climates different to home.
we bought an eko-terra enclouser 50cmx 60cm with all the fancy fitiings and accessories, for wen it gets bigger, ( we get 50% off wholesale on products)
but yeah let me know if u find an older one i have beene told by the breeder it will be 7-12 days old, so i get it wen its shed and fed.

thanks let me know wat you think, i know everyone says wait but my partner and i have been reading up about snakes for years and watching every doco available, we just want to make sure we go the right way with the mac as they are not one i haev kept befor at work.

You have the right idea going for a hatchling to get use to it etc, but 7 days old? Who are you getting it from. At 7 days it most likely won't have shed, let alone started feeding. If you get a trouble feeder you'll need an experienced person to get it feeding. Are you experienced in getting young snakes to feed?

There are plenty of people out there with blonde macs. Where are you exactly? You'd probably be able to get in touch with a private breeder off here.

I would question the seller, I doubt that at 7 days it will be feeding reliably if at all. I personally would not recomend one of these to a novice keeper at that age.

hey,
i am getting a blondie in 3 weeks a 7 days old hatchling, and i despeatly need to know what kinda globe to use, i also have a heat matt to, i want my baby to be as healthy as possiable and thrive, so is it best to use infared, uv , i also have heat matt/rock do i use these with the globe aswell???
PLEASE HELP

my partner and i have had years of experience with anmals and reptiles, and kept water dragons, jackies, geckos and so on, we also looked after snakes at work but the were in entire habitats with controled enviroments not the same as home,
we are getting 7-14 days old once it has she and fed, purely cause i have not yet been able to find thats older adn cant really spend more than 200, and we are buying it as a presie for my 18month old daughter for wen her and the snake get older, so we want it to be used to handeling, as she is just like mum and dad aand a reptile freak!!!!!1
if anyone knows of one thats a bit lder and for that price let me know asap as i will be getting this one in the next fe weekks

With all due respect, a snake isn't a lizard. Are you experienced at getting newly hatched snakes to feed? Chances are it will take longer the 7 - 14 days to feed, somtimes months. If you give us some info on here we can help you find a breeder who will get it feeding and make sure it is ready to go to you, rather then just grabbing one at the earliest oportunity that may cause more problems then you can cope with. Again, I respect your experience with other animals, but getting a newly hatched snake to feed can be difficult and in some situations force feeding is the only option, which should ONLY be done or taught by an experienced person with good technique, it is strressfull on the snake and can cause damage.

I understand you want one asap, BUT you have to consider the snake.

The anteresia species can be particularly difficult due to their size.

I'm not sorry for saying for saying this but IMO an 18 month old child couldn't care less what bloody day it is and she wouldn't give a damn when she got her present.

That is a ridiculous excuse for getting an animal especially a reptile.

You silly person I have seen spotteds for $180 that are feeding well , why the hell does it have to be a "blonde" if it is for a child who will have no real idea for at least 10 years????

And as Disasterpiece said "BUT you have to consider the snake. " Your daughter will be happy with a $20 soft toy.

Well, in a slightly quieter tone, I wondered about the 18 month old thing also. Unless your daughter is very mature for her age, I cant seem to think of any 18 month olds that at some point push the boundries with animals, let alone a little peice of string that is a bit stronger than a worm. Honestly, why not let the breeder keep it a bit longer, buy your daughter the Jungle Girl vidieo with all the snakes in it or something, and get the Spotted for yourself or everybody. I am toying with the idea of a bluey for my boy who is 6, but I think herps--like all animals, can be a great family thing.
All the best:D

With all due respect, a snake isn't a lizard. Are you experienced at getting newly hatched snakes to feed? Chances are it will take longer the 7 - 14 days to feed, somtimes months. If you give us some info on here we can help you find a breeder who will get it feeding and make sure it is ready to go to you, rather then just grabbing one at the earliest oportunity that may cause more problems then you can cope with. Again, I respect your experience with other animals, but getting a newly hatched snake to feed can be difficult and in some situations force feeding is the only option, which should ONLY be done or taught by an experienced person with good technique, it is strressfull on the snake and can cause damage.

I understand you want one asap, BUT you have to consider the snake.

thanks ffor the help i dont want to have to get a really young one but like i said at this stage havr not found ne others, am being told will be at least 7 days or fed and shed,
awe have a highly experienced snake expert ( special snake vet ) on my street who will be helping us raise our baby and yeah i have had hatchies at work same with my hubby just not blondies, this is our first house pet, i
can you please help with mabey finding an older one i saw a 10 month in newtown am waiting for reply, it was 300.
300 is my limit as i have my little girl and a house to run. and dont worry im not oneof those idiots who will get a snake and no have any idea wat 2 do or how 2 look after it,
we have been studying them for a long time, and i know that they are not lizzards but we DO have experience with handeling keeping snakes. so dont worry no harm will come to my little guy and the second anythig looks wrong he ill be up the road to my hepetologist (would b talking to her but she is onl hlidays for 2 weeks)

wat info do u want to help find the right snake??
thanks agaign for evryones wise words and i will take all into account,

IF anyone finds a older blondie for round 200-300 let me know asap am in summer hill sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back