Which enclosure cleaner do you use? Or what do you make up?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jibba

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted to gauge all you guys.

What do you use to clean\disinfect your enclosure.

I know you can mix 1 part bleach to 10 parts water.

But what about products on the market.

For instance Reptile Enclosure Insecticide - "Top of Descent" Aerosol available at HerpShop?

Thanks.

I use vinegar/water TOD is used for mite treatment :)

i use 'home brand' lavendar scented disinfectant. spray and wipe the tile.

covers the smell of 'lizards' and cleans up the poop, and makes everything clean. easy and cheap.

My routine:

Weekly or after they leave a mess - mix 1 part metho x 1-2 part water.

Every 4 weeks everything gets a complete F10 overhaul.

I use metho diluted in water and sometimes soap and water (rarely though) : ) With a proper disinfecting every two weeks.I always remove my animals into bags, i leave the enclosure door open along with my window to air everything out .It would be the same to any product making up of a large percentage of achohol or posion.

Kirby, thanks for reminding me :D I also use pino clean disinfectant wipes for little spots.

Yeah, F10 is recognised as the best.
But due to the hefty price it is unrealistic/unreasonable for many owners.
A methylated spirits/ water mix, a bleach/ water mix or some 'ReptiKlean' product you can find at your local reptile store should do a sufficient job.

I use the spray every day cleaning beardy tank 1's and 2's several snake enclosures when required and the small bottle of F10 i bought mid last year is still half full.
cost me $30

Your not wrong. Thats why I use it as a master cleaner once a month. But, I guess it's just another clear case of you get what you pay for!

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Looks like there are a variety of cleaners and solutions etc.

I guess it coems down to your own way and probably budget.

F10 is one of the cheapest when you consider the dilution rate of 1:125. A 200 ml bottle costs you $25 and makes 25 litres of disinfectant. Thats cheaper than all those crappy commerical cleaners and also cheaper than a metho/water mix.

i use plain water, i dont like any chemicals near my animals.

not like theres ever poo in there for them to smear everywhere so i dont see the point.

I use F10, I don't see the point in going cheap when its your animals health.

I also use the F10 on my cats litter tray twice a week, and my dogs kennel.

I use f10 I use about 1:125 , it's what vets use

IMO I think the reason that vets use f10 is that they see many animials during the day, with the chance of spreading infectious diseases high. I would think that if you don’t expose animals to bacteria good and bad they won’t have the necessary build up of immunities to help prevent and fight off infections, so by using f10 daily or weekly you may do more harm than good. Maybe just use warm soap and water to spot clean and when you change the newspaper and do a monthly cleanout with the stronger cleaners.

ps I'm not saying f10 is not good, maybe just overused ;)

F10 is a brilliant product. But at over $100 a litre, with a damn power bills, mortgage and every other repayment I have to make. It just seems excessive to use on a daily basis.

I usally use diluted Colgate Minty-gell toothpaste. You know the one which comes out star shaped..
I find it gets the best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back