Care and Breeder Registry

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abbott75

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm considering building a website that outlines care and keeps a record of private breeders of every (legal) species of bird and reptile in Australian captivity.

I would like to do it because I'm quite interested in all the more obscure species in captivity and it would also make it easier for people to find breeders of some of the rarer species.

Before I put my time and effort into it, is anyone interested? Would you use it?

:)

The thing you need to ask is, would breeders like to have their name on the website listing exactly what they keep.

The only problem I can see is that those with the rarer or harder to find species wont want to have their name registered in public as having those animals for fear of break ins. Gone are the days when buyers will show you their collections so you can get fresh ideas or inspiration. But I like your idea and I would possibly use it if it had a number of breeders to contact.

:)

What are you more interested in, the care sheets or breeder registry? Or both?

good point mrspike. if breeders were happy to use it ,then i would definately use it.

The thing you need to ask is, would breeders like to have their name on the website listing exactly what they keep.

I'm sure it could be made so that names and locations are kept private, yet people are still able to contact breeders of rarer animals.

I'm sure it could be made so that names and locations are kept private, yet people are still able to contact breeders of rarer animals.

But the idea of having every species you keep listed on the net just makes me quiver. I have enough trouble talking about what I keep with other herper's, let alone posting it all over the net. Displaying pictures of your animals is one thing but listing what you keep, not a fan...

I'll have to see if I can find a script to keep identity's of breeders secret, and if I can, I might give it a go.

But if it's kept private and only contact details are given, no names, no address, nothing identifiable then what problem is there? I think the idea of having such a valuable resource would be excellent and extremely popular

I'm not knocking your idea mate, it would be great to find certain animals that your after if you can't already source them through a mate. One way I can see it being done is to Just list a name, contact number/e-mail and what family's of reptiles they keep. Eg, Keeper of Skinks, Pythons, Gecko's and Turtles etc...

But if it's kept private and only contact details are given, no names, no address, nothing identifiable then what problem is there? I think the idea of having such a valuable resource would be excellent and extremely popular

I agree. Just hide the details and leave it to the breeders judgement whether or not to pass on their details to those whom contact them via PM or so.

Be sure to cover your but and place a decent disclosure statement.

I'm not knocking your idea mate, it would be great to find certain animals that your after if you can't already source them through a mate. One way I can see it being done is to Just list a name, contact number/e-mail and what family's of reptiles they keep. Eg, Keeper of Skinks, Pythons, Gecko's and Turtles etc...

I don't mean having a list ie:

"Mr Spike keeps blah balah and bleh"

What I have in mind is on, say, the Pygmy Python page have a list of breeders and have them kept anonymous. Contacted thorough a private messaging system.

There is a similar thing on Aussie Reptile Keeper but it doesn't have that many care sheets on it.

I'm suprised it hasn't been done in the past....

I guess there are so many reptiles that we can keep we will need alot of people to contribute to make it work. Otherwise there goes most of your time researching every common species that is kept.

But it should be done!!!!

I just had a look at lists of the bird and herp species kept in Australia... It's going to be a massive project. I think once I have the framework set up I'll have to ask for volunteers to help with the content. When done it should be worth it though!

I don't mean having a list ie:

"Mr Spike keeps blah balah and bleh"

What I have in mind is on, say, the Pygmy Python page have a list of breeders and have them kept anonymous. Contacted thorough a private messaging system.

Kind of like herp trader, they have to contact you first to get your details.
The only problem being that the breeders would have to sift through the junk to see the legitimate enquries unless you had some sort of system to weed out the junk.

It would get annoying being contacted and hassled all year round for animals when they are usually only available during hatchie season though.

If it is going to work, I'll be more than happy to put in the work weeding out the bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back