Ants in vivarium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpetcleaner

Reaction score
I have unfortunately moved to an area that is rife with ants!!!!! All has been well until this morning when I noticed a steady stream of ants filing up the enclosure underneath my exo terra. A few ants had made their way inside the vivarium which I removed with a damp piece of scott towell. Has anyone got any safe ideas to keep the ants at bay?

Ants have trouble walking through powder, so a bit of bicarbonate of soda spinkled all around the outside perimeter of the enclosure can help.

When I had an infestation of ants in my bedroom, I used 'Ant-Rid' which is Borax in a Honey solution. The ants eat it and take it back to the hive where the Queen and developing pupae will be fed and it will kill them too. :)

I would try to put it in an out of the way place, but close to their trail, away from the herps, as it actually attracts ants for hours and eventually you'll notice their numbers starting to dwindle and some starting to die. Don't stress as I find that its better in the long run as it kills the whole lot of ants and while they're attracted to the honey smell, they tend to ignore other things.

Make sure no pet can eat the Ant-Rid as Borax is toxic (dont know how much would needed to effect a larger creature). I hope this helps as ants are real buggers to get rid of! :?

i have that same probelm they come in a steal my herps water all of them except the frogs they stay clear of my exoterra tank wich is odd cuz it has like 15 liters of water in it and its filtered and coolest place to be in the room and i have never seen my frogs even look at ants crawling along the walljust outside thier enclosure or on the outside glass. ????????? puzzzling!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks heaps for that guys. I have just got home from work and there are HEAPS of ants inthe water bowl inside the vivarium. I will get the ant rid on the go pronto.

Ant-Rid works a treat, but of course don't put it in the enclosure! I put some on a bit
of aluminium foil outside the enclosure and they will congregate around it. Within several
hours they all disappear.

You can mix 50/50 white viniger and water. Spray this around surfaces to get them away immediately. Then setup ant rid near their track at another location.

put a ring of Vaseline around the bottom of the viv... they can walk over it at all.... thats if your a but scared of using poisons

where can you buy ant-rid from?
Can you get ti at bunnings?

Niall

You can get it at most bigger supermarkets eg Coles, Woolies. I'm not sure about Bunnings but I cant see why they wouldnt stock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back