Eastern water Dragon Heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gubs00

Reaction score
Hi guys.
What is generally the preferred heating device when keeping water dragons inside. Especially over winter ?

Cheers
Brad

globe or ceramic, wattage would depend on your enclosure setup and size...

A spotlight is the best way to heat them IMO, unless it gets freezing cold they shouldnt need any heating at night, if it does get freezing cold or you just want them to be warmer you could heat the water. Its best to have a basking spot that is 40C or more and the rest of the cage at room temperature, this allows them to regulate their temperature. While they are small a 50 watt halogen spotlight will provide plenty of heat, just put a branch or something closer to the light untill you get good basking temperatures. For a lizard the size of a large adult water dragon i would use a100watt halogen.

Brad, lots of this depends on the environment that you are keeping your animals in. Say, for example, you are keeping them in a garage in western Sydney where your winter temps get below zero then you will need to provide 24 hour heat (at least over winter). If, however, you ahve them in a herp room with other enclosures (like where I keep my hatchies) then you will require a lot less heating.

so, what you are trying to achieve is a hot spot where they can bask to warm themselves up. This spot can be quite hot. I have some that get up to 70 degrees. But then you also need the rest of the enclosure to be cooler so that they can regulate their body temperature. As they are a cold weather animal the rest of the enclosure need not be above 30 degrees but the cold spot certainly shouldn't drop below 20 degrees. I do however regularly notice my animals out basking on days that only get to 18 degrees.

The other thing to remember is that you need to provide UV. I understand that the halogen lights Cris is talking about above do give off UV so that is a good idea. You need to confirm hwoever, if that UV is filtered out when you ahve a glass cover over the bulb. Alternatively, you can use mercury vapour globes as they put out heat and UV or you could use one of those screw in fluros but remember that the maximum wattage for those is about 26 so they won't provide a great deal of heat. Of course, that is not a problem if you live in Bundaberg but it would be in Sydney. Of course, you ccould spuulement a UV fluro with a heat mat or similar to provide that little bit more.

Also with UV lights remember that the UV only works for about 6 inches. The reason I use the 26 watt fluros is that the lizards get really close to them to bask and this means they are also receiving good UV. If you were to use, say a 160 watt mercury vapour you migh find that yoru animals dont need to bask too often so they wont get their UV requirement.

Another way to provide UV is to allow your animals to get unfiltered sunlight for at least half an hour per week. If doing this you will need an escape proof and predator proof outdoor enclosre that also allows them to get out of the sun.

And when yo do set up your tank make sure that you have a few thermometers set up so that you can read the temps in the enclosure.

And just a couple of questions that will help us: Where are you? What size enclosure are you keeping the animals in? What materials is the enclosreu made out of? What have you done for ventilation? What type of room (i.e. bedroom, shed, back verandah etc) is the animal being kept in? All these things will hcange the type of heating we would recommend.

Oh, and did I also mention that if you don't use removable water bowls and replace your water daily (because they prefer to crap in water) your animals will very likely contract Coccidiosis and die.

Oh, and did I also mention that if you don't use removable water bowls and replace your water daily (because they prefer to crap in water) your animals will very likely contract Coccidiosis and die.

Eewww don't they ever. They foul their water very quickly. I change our WDs water everyday. Some days they spend more time than others in their water and their water looks like it hasn't been changed for a week. I immediately feel sorry for them swimming in their sewer and hunt them out so I can change it.

My guys are still babies so are in a 2x2x2 enclosure inside. I have a 50W downlight and a rock right under it. Ithe edge of the rock at the top is 36c, I can't measure the middle of, they are sunbaking and don't want to disturb them.

kath, get one of those thermo guns. And yes, you can also now see why I always bag people who put fixed water sections in EWD tanks. If you do that you must have good filtration, not just still water.

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the help. If I do decide to purchase a EWD, he will be a youngster, and kept inside, in a 2 foot glass URS tank to begin. Not to sure what room exactly he will be housed in though. As I do live in Western Sydney, the night temperatures can drop a fair bit, even inside the house. I will be using a fluro UV light to cover the whole width of the tank. By the sounds of it, I just need a basking lamp, set on a thermostat. What is the lowest temperature, a young EWD can withstand(for winter) ? Also, would he benefit from heat rock ? I know some people are strongly against them.

Hey amte the UV fluro will NOT give UV to your dragon as it will be too far away from him. And if you ahve a climbing branch then you will need a cover. They are good jumpers. I would suggest a small wattage heat mat underneat with a UV fluro above. Keep the heat mat on permanently from the end of this month. During the warmer months you will only need the UV fluro. Oh, and he will outgrow the tank in a few months. They are fast little buggars to remember. I will try to get some pics of a suitable set up for you this weekend as a I have a little hatchy at home in a plastic tub - but I will get a fish tank for the shots.

Ok, thanks peterjohnson64. That would be great.

i have a 4 ft tank and i use a 75w spotlight down one end and the tank has a temp of around 27 which i hyave been told is perfect. i picked up a small heater for there water too because it gets cold at night here and they sleep in the water wen it gets too cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back