School's Laptops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
too bad my princeple said no to them so our school wont get them.
That doesn't sound correct - I would think it will be like the T4L rollout, they don't get a choice in the matter as all schools need to meet DET standard.

i personally dont think high school students need a laptop each... its an absolute waste of tax payers money however you look at it!!
what about the bloody uni students and tafe students? they actaully need them and not just for use of facebook and msn.... its a joke the government are a bunch of fools, just another political stunt to make people happy.... they dont ned them!

I went through most of high school without a computer at home till year 10 when mum thought i would need it for VCE. Computers weren't even introduced into our school til I was in year 8 or 9. I know I'm older now and things have probably changed slightly, but I can't see what students can't do at home, during class or use free time at school and use school computers. Seems like a big waste of money to me too.

when does year 11 get theirs????
This year's Year 11 won't get one. Year 9 get them. Every year, Year 9 get one to keep through to Year 12. If they give them out to this year's 11 & 12, the government won't get their money worth ;)

Jason - the model they are getting isn't worth very much $$$. You can buy something with the same specs retail from Dell for ~$750-800.

Lovemydragons - assuming every child has access to a computer at home and assuming they can do work at home is an equity issue.
The NSW DET is introducing a range of other technologies for classrrom learning. School is no longer sitting in a boring old classroom with pen and paper. To enable these technologies to be more effective, senior students will require a laptop. This will get rid of the equity issue as they will all be in the same boat.

Last edited:
its alot diffrent now. i know at my school you have to book computers like weeks in advance to get on them as we only have a few that can be accessed in or breaks/free periods. and it would be alot eaiser for everyone to get these lasptops

imo its hard for you school students to understand the full extent of it.... we are the ones who are paying the taxes that are buying the computers. the times you actually need one as said you can do it at home. if you go onto uni you'll look back and understand! im on my computer doing assignments etc more then im not, but i still dont take a laptop to uni everyday.

this is what the government is investing in during a recession?

that and giving everyone 900 which im sure in most cases will not go back into, nor stimulate our economy. seriously $900... if they gave everyone 1 years free public transport that would help ALOT more, less emissions, less congestion etc etc... better places to put this wasted money.

lozza, the school your working at are you running MOE v2.0?

is your school running privately owned laptops for students under the SOE to work in conjuction with MOE standards?

Gawd, we didnt do any work at school as it was, now theyre gonna hand out laptops with SOLITARE!!!!!!!!
I resorted to carving the desk with "I loves ........" and had a discman on my lap and drew through my books. And im slightly braindead, imagine you lot when you got laptops. Duhhhhhh.........what?????

this is what the government is investing in during a recession?
This is a NSW State Government Initiative that has been in the pipe line for quite a while now - not to be confused with the Federal stimulus initiatives such as BER.

lozza, the school your working at are you running MOE v2.0?

is your school running privately owned laptops for students under the SOE to work in conjuction with MOE standards?
No NSW is different to QLD. Not all Regions in NSW run the same either, however all machines in NSW have the same DET T4L Image.
The way North Coast Region's network runs, private owned laptops are not really catered for on the network as they are not up to standard/configured (the students don't have them anyway, in our low socio-economic area so we don't have to worry ;)). That said, a handful of smaller schools are "rogue" and not run the same as the rest lol.
I also work in New England Region which is more laid back with managing their technology - allowing individual schools more control. I can just take in my personal laptop and configure it as I know all the settings, however this is not generally done for students. The DET net filter still applies on private laptops though as we use a pac file for the net.

IMO it will be interesting to see what permissions are given to students who "own" these laptops and how they are setup regarding DET network settings. If they aren't given Administrator rights then it may be hard to do things at home like setup their own network etc, but it would be a DET network administrator's nightmare if they were given these rights :? It will also be interesting to see who gets the job of maintaining them. I guess we will find out in the fullness of time lol

Got em at my school... mac notebooks got em earlier in the term on it right now actully :D I find them to be a complete distraction in class though.... no one does much work

im in yr 9, and i reckon its stupid that we're getting em. we're just gonna download games, videos and crap on em or whatever, and by yr 12; when we actually need em at least 1/4 will be lost/stolen/broken etc. give em to the yr 11's or 12s. they need it. like once yr 12's have finished, they hand em over to yr 11 and same as the next year etc. theyre gonna go to such a waste giving them to us.

the gov said lenovo s10e?

im in yr 9, and i reckon its stupid that we're getting em. we're just gonna download games and crap on em or whatever, and by yr 12; when we actually need em at least 1/4 will be lost/stolen/broken etc. give em to the yr 11's or 12s. they need it. like once yr 12's have finished, they hand em over to yr 11 and same as the next year etc. theyre gonna go to such a waste giving them to us.

You keep them when you pass HSC and if they get stolen they can remotly turn them off
not good enough to run games (i mean like CSS)
teachers desks will probably be behind the class not at front so they can see screens at all times.
My schools websites are very limited and they worst thing i can get into is this site, other then that its gov sites and wiki.

they also do come with alot of useful software inbuilt webcam and u have some program that can record you and stuff hard to explain. Also we get spreadsheet and all the microsoft titles which i really need as im using 03 so anything newer then that wont open

Last edited:
hey i go to a victorian public school and ive got a laptop, i think theyre great. and in answer to the taxpayer money thing, we still have to pay part of it. i use it for everything now, i actually gave my pc to my little brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back