School's Laptops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the gov said lenovo s10e?

You keep them when you pass HSC and if they get stolen they can remotly turn them off
not good enough to run games (i mean like CSS)
teachers desks will probably be behind the class not at front so they can see screens at all times.
My schools websites are very limited and they worst thing i can get into is this site, other then that its gov sites and wiki.

they also do come with alot of useful software inbuilt webcam and u have some program that can record you and stuff hard to explain. Also we get spreadsheet and all the microsoft titles which i really need as im using 03 so anything newer then that wont open
how arent they good enough to run css games?
with limiting the websites, that can be changed - just use a proxy.

IMO it will be interesting to see what permissions are given to students who "own" these laptops and how they are setup regarding DET network settings. If they aren't given Administrator rights then it may be hard to do things at home like setup their own network etc, but it would be a DET network administrator's nightmare if they were given these rights :? It will also be interesting to see who gets the job of maintaining them. I guess we will find out in the fullness of time lol

hay lozza

We're running 4 laptop classes atm with 32 students in each, the whole school is wireless and fibre connections in each block..
students have admin rights on their own machine however there is strict rules for installing software... each student is made aware that if any software is loaded onto their laptops which break these rules then their machine will be reimaged.

a wireless profile is added which will prompt up a login box... to access the network using their network logins they then get restricted permissions on the network.. and using the proxy server login details they can now also browse the net using the EQ firewall and net filter.

its quite simple to manage really.... the only troubling thing is just teaching the students to use programs that their not fimilar with, Eg., photo shop CS3, execl, and ulead.

other than that if their is any major problems with the laptops they have a copy to all their files on a home drive maped on the core DC using a .bat script which also adds in a data share on the server, printers, and class room share, so if anythign happens i just send out a ghost cast, reimage to the dud machine and the kid will run a script at boot, they type in their logon details and done... all ready to go in 10min.

the school consists of 1200 users in total, with 3 labs, and one mobile laptop lab, each room has atleast 4 to 6 machines in it with networked printers assined to these machine using AD and GP plus a CSV script.

and 70% of the school has interactive white boards plus the teachers all have their EQ assined laptops as well.. and with 78 teachers now under going training for the use of interactive white boards so we can have one in each class room....

and this is a public school too...

only downside is the school's dont get correct funding for network engineers, but the MOE is to soon change that with cases being built to support the use of EQ funded engineers...

Cheers
luke

im in QLD and we have the wonderful innovation called MOE(Managed Operating Environment)aka Massive Pain in the ***.

i was a student there last yr and am now working there. but the old system that the school was running was very secure. once MOE came in me and my make set out to find flaws in it... and boy didn't we find some BIG holes. within a week we were accessing things that we could never access on the old system... within 2 weeks of the MOE roll-out my mate and I had the system wrapped around our finger... we worked with the IT dept at the school so we let them know of the probs and they forwarded them onto ED QLD. That was the first build 1.1 i think it was now we are on 2.0 and none of the probs have been fixed. The kids in this school might be stubborn and a little stupid but they are finding these holes and using them.

I think EQ needs to re-think there system before doing anything more....

im in QLD and we have the wonderful innovation called MOE(Managed Operating Environment)aka Massive Pain in the ***.

i was a student there last yr and am now working there. but the old system that the school was running was very secure. once MOE came in me and my make set out to find flaws in it... and boy didn't we find some BIG holes. within a week we were accessing things that we could never access on the old system... within 2 weeks of the MOE roll-out my mate and I had the system wrapped around our finger... we worked with the IT dept at the school so we let them know of the probs and they forwarded them onto ED QLD. That was the first build 1.1 i think it was now we are on 2.0 and none of the probs have been fixed. The kids in this school might be stubborn and a little stupid but they are finding these holes and using them.

I think EQ needs to re-think there system before doing anything more....

mate depends on who did your MOE upgrade and who your sys tech is...
and also how good your tech is...

Personlly i didnt like MOE when it first came out.. now i love it....
compaired to SOE systems moe is alos more standard so all the different sites are the same..
plus with the added OC accounts it will help stop cowboys getting into IT just because they know how to build a computer and have no real network engineering knowledge nor microsoft quls...

you cant say the MOE has holes it in it when it all falls back onto how good your tech is or what profile is assined to your account, or what permissions your account has, or even what GG your account is a member of, and what other GG thats group is a member of...

dont blame the system blame your techs.

These computer are locked in a way that you cane now putt any chat sites and games sites on them they are controlled by the schools. My daugther is in year ( she needs one for her photography and they still dont know when there getting them as yet.Her school have warned that they will be checking the computers for programs that have attemped to be downloaded and the computors will be taken away for the students when they go home.

These computer are locked in a way that you cane now putt any chat sites and games sites on them they are controlled by the schools. My daugther is in year ( she needs one for her photography and they still dont know when there getting them as yet.Her school have warned that they will be checking the computers for programs that have attemped to be downloaded and the computors will be taken away for the students when they go home.

we also have desktop monitoring software installed and can choose to take controll of a work station or laptop if required...

its quite strict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back