What should I do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baloney

Reaction score
I was given a diamond python. I like him alot and have made him a home here with us. I thought I was doing the right thing by getting my permit, however what I didn't know was that I would have to report to the department every 12 months.

As I have no papers for him, what do I tell the department? I want to keep him. Do I keep it quiet and send back the paperwork telling them I haven't bought any reptiles yet???

What to do???

Who gave it to you and did they have papers for him? If they did then you should be able to get him transfered over. However, I am assumeing that he is a wild caught snake (which means keeping him is illigal). I'm not sure what you should do in this case. Don't just re-release it if it is wild court, you may have to hand him over to the department. I'm sure there is someone on here that knows a hell of a lot more than myself regarding your situation. If you keep him "off license" then you run the risk of getting fined a large amount, which isn't worth it for a diamond.

I know I haven't really been a lot of help regarding your situation, but I hope your able to get it all sorted out.

Check with the person who gave him to you asking about permits etc. but it sounds like he is illegal and could cause you some grief if you're caught with him.

If he is off licence you don't want him at your house.

Have to abide by the law mate... As sad as it is you will find another snake that'll become part of the family... perhaps ring some of the reptile sanctuary's that are around (not sure what they're cold) and explain the story... see if they'll take him in so you don't have to release him back into the wild

contact NPWS and they (might) add it to your records if you fill in a stat dec saying from who you got it from. on the other hand they may sieze it. its best to do the right thing now as your new to the hobby and they (may) make an exception, let it go and they (may) fine you up to $3300

I was given a diamond python. I like him alot and have made him a home here with us. I thought I was doing the right thing by getting my permit, however what I didn't know was that I would have to report to the department every 12 months.

As I have no papers for him, what do I tell the department? I want to keep him. Do I keep it quiet and send back the paperwork telling them I haven't bought any reptiles yet???

What to do???

Snakes don't really come with papers but the person who gave him to you should have had a licence number for him and be able to account for him in his log book. If your friend isn't licensed then you must give the diamond up, otherwise if NPWS catch up with you with it, they may very well refuse you a license knowing you had a snake before you obtained your licence. And they don't look kindly at ppl keeping off license or wild caught animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back