uv lights???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

novek

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i need help with uv lights...i wrote the date i purchased them on part of the light and its been less than six months but i dont think the light is still producing uv my dragon doesnt bask under it. i put a new one in and he bask straight away..?is there any way to tell if the uv is still in the light or should i just replace them earlier than six months?

any info will be helpful
thnx jamie

cant wait for castle hill expo!!!

I think if you have any doubts, replace them early... What's a few dollars on UV lights if it gives you peace of mind that your beloved animals are well looked after?

It's tricky... we're taking something that they need in the wild, and trying to replicate it in captivity... it's always going to be hard to get it exactly right. If you replace them every 4 months, it means 3 lights a year instead of 2... not a huge difference, and you won't have to worry :)

thnx for the replies guys i guess ill jus change em every 5-6 months

Just remember that UV wavelengths don't pass through glass so if you have them in a tank with a glass top the UV is useless anyway. What kind of top do you have?

UV lights and the UVB output varies from brand to brand alot.

You also have to consider the distance away from the basking area, this is the most important thing when initially setting up. 12" is the recommended basking distance from the light source, as others have said, UVB doesn't pass through glass, so it has to be inside the enclosure or resting on top of mess, but even then the mess will reduce the amount of UVB entering the enclosure.
Before throwing out your 6 mth old light, try lowing it towards the basking area, or placing some branches in so the dragon can get closer to it, if he's still not interested , then maybe replace the bulb.

That said the general guidelines from the manufacturers are that you replace every 6 mth's, but remember that is just a guide, some will last longer , some alittle shorter.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back