Market for reptile paintings?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malley

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My girlfriend has recently got back into painting and due to my influence has started to do some reptile paintings. Here is one she completed recently:
IMG_5601-1024x768.jpg

She was curious if anyone out there would be interested in purchasing similar paintings of a range of reptiles and if so how much would they be willing to pay? She is wondering if she could get into it to make a little money...

Cheers, Steve

i like it :D , but im 17 and dont have money to buy paintings

Ebay is great place to start, I paint kid's canvas's and find that ebay is the best research to see what other people are selling and prices. But I will be honest reptile/particular topics will be harder to sell as you only have a small percentage of people who have the same interest as us...
Great painting!!
Hope that helps!!

tell her to sell them on ebay. and put it in the reptile section. i honestly think people will buy them very very quickly. she seems to have some talent its a gorgeous painting. cheers
mel

price will varry on size of canvas, cost of colours, labour and if you have ever sold any or had any exhibitions etc. if she is a novice and only been doing it for herself till now then she could sell for $50 - 150 each depending on how much it cost to paint. you can advertise your stuff on www.deviantart.com or just exhibit it buy signing up for free and seeing if you get any interest. its a very good site to get your name out there. you can start a market store up and advertise and see if you get much interest. maybe small paintings at $25 and larger paintings for $80 for the markets till you get your name out there then start to up your prices.

just remember as long as your making monie and not loosing monie then thats the goal, if you sell for too low then you might not sell much to keeping your price at least double or tripple the amount you spent to put it together. people at the markets will have less to spend on them so will pay what they have or you can take orders and get a pepossit down and just call them when its complete to pay the rest.

I've done a few markets and have had a few exhibitions and so forth and the max I sold a medium sized painting for was $55 and large $80.

I sold alot of smaller ones for $15 - 25 each depending on the amount of time I had put into them.

good luck. maybe go to the markets and check out other peoples prices and ask questions such as how long they've been doing it, and if they've got any exhibitions going etc. if they just do it and haven't had any exhibitions then go by there prices but also look at the detail of there work and compair it with your girlfriends style.

its a very nice painting what was it painted with looks to be pastel? pastels can sell for a lil more then an acrillic painting cause there's more work into them and its alot harder to paint with.

the most I've payed for a painting was $180 but it was from a older woman that had had many exhibitions and been painting for 40 odd years and that was classes as a small painting.

also take into consideration a framed painting is worth more then a canvased or non framed painting, its also looks much nicer when fraimed but a canvase painting can also look fantastic on a wall as well. if you are using canvased then adding price of canvas, paints and time to it will varry on the cost you sell it for.

hope this helps
cheers and good luck

lol sorry if its confusing, tehe I did my best at exsplaining what I know and my exsperiance lol

should I edit it and try again? lol LMFAO

do your research, study other peoples art and prices, go to ebay check out what sells in there test your luck chuck a few on ebay, go to the markets - open a store in there and see if you get interest and check out that very well known art gallery.

depending on what you use to make the painting on will varry big time to how much you will get back.

such as:

canvas is cheap most the time so you would add how much the canvas cost, how much it cost you for paints, and set a labour cost for yourself (example: 1 hour to paint then $10 per hour.) then double or tripple cost to give you a little and to put back into buying more canvases etc.

pastel sheets cost more so you would take that into concideration to the price, as for everything else its the same method for pricing wise.

in sertain places you sell your work will change due to location, your buyers etc.
such as:

markets, the people your aiming at to buy your painting won't be carrying much cash on them so setting your prices arround $25 - $80 each would bring more interested people then putting massive prices on them that no one would be able to afford.

ebay well starting your bets at $50 or just having it a set asking price is easy but then you still have to package it and hope it gets to the buyer in one piece.

Exhibiting allows you to up your prices and get's people knowing your work and other galleries wanting to show it, the more advertisement will allow you to ask more for them.

is that easier?

do your research, study other peoples art and prices, go to ebay check out what sells in there test your luck chuck a few on ebay, go to the markets - open a store in there and see if you get interest and check out that very well known art gallery.

depending on what you use to make the painting on will varry big time to how much you will get back.

such as:

canvas is cheap most the time so you would add how much the canvas cost, how much it cost you for paints, and set a labour cost for yourself (example: 1 hour to paint then $10 per hour.) then double or tripple cost to give you a little and to put back into buying more canvases etc.

pastel sheets cost more so you would take that into concideration to the price, as for everything else its the same method for pricing wise.

in sertain places you sell your work will change due to location, your buyers etc.
such as:

markets, the people your aiming at to buy your painting won't be carrying much cash on them so setting your prices arround $25 - $80 each would bring more interested people then putting massive prices on them that no one would be able to afford.

ebay well starting your bets at $50 or just having it a set asking price is easy but then you still have to package it and hope it gets to the buyer in one piece.

Exhibiting allows you to up your prices and get's people knowing your work and other galleries wanting to show it, the more advertisement will allow you to ask more for them.

is that easier?

LMFAO Love it!!!

Check out this guys videos, they might give her some pointers.

[video=youtube;k9HeP4KtJzY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9HeP4KtJzY[/video]

I am a bit of an Artist and use to drawn on the sidewalks of Melbourne over 10 years ago.
We recently went to the Herp Expo over there so I brought my chalks along to have a bit of a draw.
After aprox 4 hours I had a sore back and knees. Also had a face like I just been down a coal mine. But the best thing is I had a hat that had over $100 in it. People pay form 50c to $10 (yes someone gave me $10 dollars) to take photos. I worked it out that I used aprox 10-15 dollars in chalks and a $2 can of hair spray.
So maybe that is something she could look into doing if they have that kind of thing in Brissy.

Good luck.

lol thats awsome I always wondered how you would draw a snake seeing there not the most easiest thing to draw cheers mate very bloody interesting

hey malley ur girlfirend is realy good tell her i said good luck selling them and ebay would be the way to go :D

blindsnake cheers for that vid mate i like to draw a lil myself never bothered doin snakes cuz i coundent be botherd doin all those scales but it looks easy now lol cheers

Thanks for the replies. She has decided to paint a few more and see what happens... :)

We will be looking for Reptile artwork ..possibly have an exhibition when we get the SE Qld Expo 2010

up and going

Good Luck
Cheers
Sandee :)

Hell no!! Good on you for taking the time to share your experience and make some suggestions.
Better than some dullard grunting "I'd just put in on ebay..."
No wonder people can't be ar$ed helping on this forum when you have to put up with rubbish like that... :rolleyes:
Good on ya Pythons Rule! Don't reduce yourself to the lowest common denominator ;):D

Hell no!! Good on you for taking the time to share your experience and make some suggestions.
Better than some dullard grunting "I'd just put in on ebay..."
No wonder people can't be ar$ed helping on this forum when you have to put up with rubbish like that... :rolleyes:
Good on ya Pythons Rule! Don't reduce yourself to the lowest common denominator ;):D

How about the term "Cry me a river"?
Considering his girlfriend is a painter she would know everything that was mention. She was asking about the market, simple answer, put it on ebay to get a general idea on who is willing to pay what, considering it is Australia's largest online selling/buying tool.. So there was more to my answer than a simple "I'd just put it on ebay," I just didn't think I needed to spell out the obvious to those more challenged in life.

Haha... "..Wow talk about confusing...." :rolleyes:
Apart from the effects of all that confusion (and the suggestion people auction their art on Ebay?!), wouldn't it have been easier to accept you had nothing to add to the subject and ....
I dunno... not bothering?

Anyway Malley, as others have said, there are far better places than Ebay to sell your art. Ebay is great for car-parts, computer gear and sporting goods. People looking for a bargain.
If you want to get your work out there, places like Redbubble and DeviantArt allow you to not only showcase your work but get some feedback and build up a following.
Outside of physically attending markets etc, this might be a way for your girl to get her work out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back