Help! Vents on enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukey47

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have an enclosure that is 1200mm high x 1000mm wide x 600mm deep
up the top the heat is about 33 and floor temp is about 27, on the right hand side as you can see in the pic there is 2 vent holes cut out, they are about a coke can wide each.
Now my 3 year old coastal carpet has been in there for year no problems but past couple weeks his been pressing on the vents at night like trying to break out, didnt think anything of it till he had cut his mouth open n had to take him to vet, the vents are about 10cm off the base.
Why is he doing this?? what can i do to prevent him doing this?? :(
open all suggestions

sorry here is picture, vents are bottom right corner, on outside of enclosure is has security door steel mesh stuff covering holes, thats what he cut his face on trying to escape :(

Attachments

• 06-09-08_1930.jpg
    06-09-08_1930.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 108
u could put in the vents that you can buy from places like bunnings maybe? if they fit the holes you have cut.

u could put in the vents that you can buy from places like bunnings maybe? if they fit the holes you have cut.

yeh tomorrow dad and I are going to change the mesh to clear perspex with holes in it, should i put maybe a couple more holes in there for extra air????

haha dont worry already tried convincing mum n dad, they said if i finish and pass year 12 i get a car n i can buy a female for him :)

Oh man, you're lucky! All I got after Yr 12 was a "Well done son, now go get a job"! haha

Yeah, reckon you shouldbe able to get an off the shelf item of some sort at Bunnings that could fit on the inside of the enclosure & stop him cutting himself up. Orrrr.....you could chamfer or round off the inside of that cutout so it's not so perpendicular.

IMO the vents are a bit small and the snake could use a greater gradient (I aim for 10 degrees). I just built an enclosure that size and put in much bigger vents. I got a pair of eaves vents from Bunnings and screwed them on the inside and outside of the enclosure. They are aluminium and have a plastic mesh underneath, so they'd even keep in a hatchling. The hole is about 20 cm x 10 cm.

As for pushing against the vents, my snakes always seem to explore the areas where there are fresh smells from fresh air. I've also noticed that my young male Darwin (18 months old) has started coming out a lot more. I think he's hit puberty and is looking for a female. She's in the next room!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back