So angry

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missllama

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have tried so hard to do the right thing, i have 3 cats, there desexed etc and i dont let them roam i have a creek behind where i live that has lots of native animals etc and even tho my cats havent killed anything before and dont seem to be interested i know they can

i have been trying to rehome them for MONTHS now i have offered to even supply food for them for a few months until i can take them back if thats an option

but i keep getting people saying they will then changing there mind etc etc

in my bedroom there is a bassinet all ready for the baby, the cats get in there every second they get a chance too, the baby room is always shut but when i do go in there to set things up and wash the clothes and rearange stuff etc, the cats sneak in straight away and go to sleep in the cot, pram and 2nd bassinet

i know how dangerous this is and my cats simply cant stay in my house with a baby

i was given the name of an animal shelter here in s.a that doesnt put animals down, i called them up i told them i am about 2 hours away but can i bring them up i have tried so hard to rehome them because they mean so much to me but i cant and i wont take them somewhere were they will be put down

she goes to me
"im sorry this doesnt sound like an emergency to me u need to just lock them outside and something to do with them being part of my family"

i want to get a cat enclosure but i really dont have anywhere one can go and i dont think its fair on them being locked up in one of those all the time

im appauled someone from an animal welfare place would give me that sort of answer

anyway thats my vent for the day

good luck with he housing ur cats, unfortunately theres so many that need rehousing at any one time that the animal shelters would drown in cats if they were to take them all in.

sounds silly, but can u make a lid (out of something like chicken wire) that might fit over your babies cot?
or use one of those automatic door closers to keep the cats out?

are there smells that would deter them from going into the room?

if u put really slippery flooring in the babies room would that stop the cats from being able to jump?

rehousing cats (or any animal for that matter) doesnt mean the person who agreed to take them wont end up 'getting rid of them' down the track,...in a way u may not like,...

yea i understand how much they get overloaded thats why i said to her i wanted to make a donation to the place aswel to be able to feed them for longer etc
but her saying
"you just need to lock them outside"
what sort of answer is that? i dont know if there is much i can do in the way of covering up the cot and bassinet etc because they get into everything the pram etc and muffassa is long haired and drops so much when she gets into them i have to clean them out every time

there is stil no way im taking them somewhere where they can be put down, so i think that i might have to resort to putting them in an enclosure ill just have to find a way to get it somewhere in the garage or something i feel so cruel doing that tho

i agree its a pretty disappointing answer,... :(

since its only a temporary situation (as in they dont stay babies etc froever,..) i'd probably keep the cats in an enclosure till ur baby is no longer a baby,..you can still let them out once the door to the babys room is securely shut fro a few hours here and there,....dont feel cruel, theyre part of your family and you'll be doing ur best for them.

thers no guarantee that someone else wont be 'crueller'.

not that i think that would be cruel, a friend of mine has a shed wtih a meshed area attached fro her cats (so they cant go off killing things) and they seem very content.

Yea thats one of the reasons why i was advertising as if they can go to temporary homes im ok with that because as u said it wont be a baby for ever
ill deffinatly not be reccomending anyone to go to that shelter for any reasons now, to tell me to just lock cats outside, let alone in this season is disgusting

guess its time for some cat run shopping

human life over cat life
hard decision that one.
it can take just one hair from a cat to enter a newborns throat and to have a reaction of major consequence.
maybe you should talk to a nurse at the hospital, it may speed up your decision on leting cats on the cot or in that room at all.

Yea coz i know my mums a ex nurse and she was the one that made it clear to me how important it is, theres no way in hell they will be inside with the baby as much as i love them, but theres no way im taking them somewhere to be put down, i think ill have to get a cat run, keep them in there and maby keep trying to rehome them while there using that since i dont want them to stay in the enclosure as it is going to be too small for the length of time they will be needing it

Have you thought about getting a self closing screen door put on the baby's room and that way there will be less chance of them being able to sneak in.

There is a yahoo group called Adopting Adelaide's Pets, not sure if you have tried it but you could give it a go if you haven't. It's for people who need to re-house pets. Good luck with whatever happens.

a few people have said that but since im renting at the moment i cant put anything on the doors, it is a good idea tho, we have been looking for a place to buy for a while now would have been good if we could have found one by now atleast then we could do what we want to the place and not have as many problems with it

There is a yahoo group called Adopting Adelaide's Pets, not sure if you have tried it but you could give it a go if you haven't. It's for people who need to re-house pets. Good luck with whatever happens.

lol thanks hun funny u say that i have posted on there many times, i have recieved...
abusive emails
and a few people interested... BUT not one of them has ever shown up
one person said can u hold one of them till the end of march and ill re home her and u can still visit etc im just moving at the moment and then never contacted me back after that
another person said she was coming but then said the landlord changed there mind
another said she would and as usual didnt turn up :(

i thought some people might have been interested in just house sitting them for a while with all there food paid for but no one wants an adult desexed cat, there all wanting the cute cuddley kittens unfortunatly :(

That really does suck and makes things harder on you. I'll ask around and see if I know anyone looking for a cat or three either permanently or for a while... not sure how I'll go but I'll give it a go. I can't help out unfortunately, they'd be dog food in a matter of minutes at my place.

thanks so much hun, my mum cant help me because of the same reason... there dog doesnt like cats or little dogs

everyone i know seems to have 2 cats already and not able to rehome them

im not trying to be a slack owner just turfing them off to the rspca its one of the hardest things i have had to do but at the end of the day the babys life is alot more important

if anyone does have any other suggestions or knows of anyone that can help me please let me know!

thanks everyone

find a NO KILL shelter, and dump them in a box.... even tho they probably have micro chips.

seeing your two hours away, they arent going to drive them home for you. they will call, and when they do say.. 'oh, they ran away months ago' and then tell them you cant take them back, as you have a newborn. if they pull the shame stick, hang up (the phone line disconnected)

your new to be born childs life, is more important then your cats going to a no kill, and finding homes.

No worries, you're doing the best you can and trying to be as responsible as possible. It's a hard situation to be in. The other thing is maybe you could put a flyer up at your local vet and shops?

Try talking to your local vets they might take them and try to sell them for you.
i had 5 kittens and couldnt move them and a vet took them and they went to loving homes.

Lana, I know the place you are on about & she certainly is very abrasive! ( I'm being kind, lol). Could you enclose your carport for them? And just to be sure, keep the bassinet in the same room as you at all times. Its what I did when I had cats & Zac was a baby. Keep your bedroom door shut at night or shut the cats in another room at night. Try the Animal Welfare League. They took my cats when I left the dairy & we very supportive. Even let me know when they had found new homes & gave me a sketchy outline of the family they went to. Fantastic people to deal with imo. Far better than the RSPCA or the Hahndorf shelter!

i dont understand the big deal everyone is happy to keep our native herps in enclosures but feral introduced pests need better treatment i think you should get a cat run and keep them they should all be in runs anyway and atleast you can still keep them and bub safe

if your worried about cat furr around the new born (for like the 1st few months) why don't you just shave the cats ?

The idea of a cat run or a cat 'aviary' in the backyard is a good idea. It doesn't all have to be all open and cold, you can make a good enclosed area with the comforts of home. That way you can keep your pets and visit and play with them, and keep them away from the baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back