So angry

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
about the cats getting into the cot have you started squirting them every time they go near the cot with a water gun or spray bottle on a fine squirt. it may take a few times but they should get it. i did it with my cat when having the baby and he knew that he was ok on my bed not the cot. hope this works for you how ever you go... Good luck

woops sorry guys i didnt see all these replies
anntay my cats are so nutty the squirt bottle thing has never helped unfortunatly i have tried it and they just dont learn
drazzy i think they might get a wee bit chilly shaving them this time of year lol
yea sam i am going to call them back today i want to speak to someone higher incharge then her and let them know i am disgusted they have told me to lock the cats outside permenantly, is that even legal? i honestly didnt think it was, let alone i dont agree with it u no what its like where i live with all the wildlife etc
ill look into all the things everyone has suggested, thanks lots everyone

lama get a big box of moth balls and put them everywhere in the babys room in the cot pram etc ...cats hate the smell and will learn to hate that room too ...my GF did that as she had the same drama ,she did the mothball thing and by the time she had the baby the cats wouldnt go into that room ....rub the moth balls all around the skirting and the door as well ...they soon will stop going in there. and you got enough time to get the MB s out before bubs comes ..

i hate the smell of those too rbb thats not fair lol!
yuckkk haha

i might do that tho, atleast until i know what will happen long term and see if it does the trick because even now im going mental because they keep going in there while im trying to clean the room!
worth a try :)

lama get a big box of moth balls and put them everywhere in the babys room in the cot pram etc ...cats hate the smell and will learn to hate that room too ...my GF did that as she had the same drama ,she did the mothball thing and by the time she had the baby the cats wouldnt go into that room ....rub the moth balls all around the skirting and the door as well ...they soon will stop going in there. and you got enough time to get the MB s out before bubs comes ..

http://www.essortment.com/all/mothballhazard_ryft.htm

As opposed to mothballs there are also many sprays which cats do not like the smell of and will actually avoid an area over time (in that you will not need to keep spraying once they are used to not going there. You may even be able to get away with not spraying inside the room perhaps and just spray liberally around the door, walls, carpet etc. around the room. I'd give that a go personally.

There are now some great easy to assemble pet enclosures that can be extended or broken down for easy moving. They are aimed at the showdog, pet rabbit type of market as they are so portable. Some have mesh like covers to stop jumpers/climbers, but you could easily make a cover with some shade cloth. You could house your cats in these easily. They are cheap and can be moved from the garage to the yard as required, or you could put a cat tunnel between the inside & outside ones. Just add some scratching posts, beds, toys & a litter box and your cats will be great. My cats were thrown into a similar situation when we moved from suburbia to bush and I had to build a cat run for them. Cats adjust really well. Be sure to wear gloves when cleaning litter boxes. Good luck with it all and I really admire that you are trying to do the right thing by your pets.

As opposed to mothballs there are also many sprays which cats do not like the smell of and will actually avoid an area over time (in that you will not need to keep spraying once they are used to not going there. You may even be able to get away with not spraying inside the room perhaps and just spray liberally around the door, walls, carpet etc. around the room. I'd give that a go personally.

My old cat would go crazy over that 'no cat spray' he'd walk up to it and rub himself all over it.

So depends on each indiviual cat, some people like the smell of petrol some don't :D

It's certainly a difficult problem that's faced by lots of people, and the shelter's response doesn't help. Have you tried notices in local and not-so-local vet clinics - because then you're getting direct access to the community's most responsible pet owners. Also explain the story to the vet nurses too, if they knew it was temporary and paid for you might find one that could be tempted...

When my Auntie had a baby a few years ago they put a second fly-screen door on the baby's room with a pressure closing device, it's really not very intrusive on the doorframe at all and is easily removed - about 2-3 screws per hinge and perhaps 4 for the closing thing. You could do it without making a rebate I'm sure, and then just fill the holes from the screws and touch up the paint when the baby's older or you move. You said it was not an option but have you asked the landlord? They might be ok if you can show them a design that will not permanently damage the doorframe...

The other thing would be to choose a room that's at least 2 doors from the baby's room, then keep the cats in there. That way you could make sure only one door is open at any time, so the cats will never be next to you when you open the baby's door. It works for aviarys to prevent bird escapes so it might work in this case?

Maybe also a combination of repellant and just being super stringent about closing the door behind you??

As long as they are comfy, I'm sure they will cope fine living in an enclosure... you could make sure there is half an hour each day to have them inside with you while babe's asleep or something perhaps? It's probably less stressful for them to be in an enclosure at your house than moving to someone else's temporarily, the most important thing to a cat is its territory...

Good luck, I hope it works out for all the people and cats involved!!

thats not good, they shouldn't have said that. could you try goinging sideways, and keeping an eye on the cat/s and if they try and go in, put a foot in there way, right in front of there face. thats what we did with our dogs, and they don't even bother to coe inside unless we stand there with the door open calling them, but when we do it with the cat, it's coz of something in the room, we don't want it in the room, but we don't do it to often so, don't know if it works.

cheers,
Will

human life over cat life
hard decision that one.
Is there a difference then cozz? :? I thought all living things have a right to life, its not the cats fault that lana's up the duff (unless of couse it was and she's keeping it a secret!!!);)

Dont you listen to him lana.....nasty evil man (;):lol:) Ive got the problem solved for you anyways.....my friend uses lion poo on his garden to keep the cats off, works a treat....so just get a bag of lion poo and smear it all over the door !!.....Job done!

On a more serious note cozz...are cat hairs really that dangerous to newborns ??:shock:

Last edited:
drazzy the moth balls are to be used BEFORE she has the baby ...not after .....its so the cats learn to hate the baby room and wont like to go in there ...

I guess; as long as your thorough with the traces of naphthalene residue.

Hope you can sort out something soon for the babies sake. Just another one of a 101 reasons for me hate cats even more. climbing all over kitchen and pawing and licking everything is disgusting enough never mind possibly suffocating baby. I would just kill them humanely and use them for snake food, 2 birds with 1 stone.

I truely wonder if she had written about her dog constantly getting into the baby's room and jumping up onto the cot or other things in the room ,would your answers be for her to kill her dog ?......wake up ,Lana is obviously a cat lover to have them in the first place ,so killing them wouldnt be on her list of things to do ..hence why she asked for suggestions..if she had no problems in killing them ,this thread would never had been made ...remember dogs have killed and harmed children too ,even as young as newborns so get off the KILL ALL CATS soapbox!

Naja_vivea said:
Hope you can sort out something soon for the babies sake. Just another one of a 101 reasons for me hate cats even more. climbing all over kitchen and pawing and licking everything is disgusting enough never mind possibly suffocating baby. I would just kill them humanely and use them for snake food, 2 birds with 1 stone.

:rolleyes: Get over yourself. I guarantee you, people don't care why you hate cats and want to kill them. People with attitudes such as you do shouldn't post in these threads, because believe it or not, most people don't want others suggesting to them to kill their pets.

Lana, ignore the petty cat hater. A cat run or aviary is probably the best choice. You can also let them inside when the baby is asleep (and the door tightly shut), for example, and never allowed in that room. Just don't open the door when they're inside (and make sure everyone else knows about it too), and put them into the aviary again when you're going to get the baby up.

sorry I didn't read all the post's but have you tryied give away in Trading post, simple traders, news paper, putting give aways up on all bill boards around, some vets will take animals if you can't care for them and re home them for you or they will allow you to put a poster up. maybe if you haven't done so you should say they can go to seprate homes most people can only care for one or 2 not 3 or you keep one and give away the others.

some pet shops with put posters up as well. what about any for sale sites for cats and dogs you can advertise on there too.

sorry if you've tried these but there sugestions and the more places you have the posters or give aways up the more people will look and the more chance you will have. Saturday Trading post and paper has more people looking through them.

good luck

spray bottle with just water in it will stop them, they see you coming with the spray bottle and they won't dare going in there. but you may need to squirt them a few times to relise the baby room is out of bounds.

I did it with the cats going in the kitchen worked.

just a reasonable suggestion i thought. instead of trying sprays and hoping the scabby cats dont like it and hoping for best, at least some decisive action would certainly work. Just that if it was me i wouldnt be too happy if baby dies because i was pussy footing around too concerned for cats. Humanely killing them is safest solution for baby and native wildlife, if you re house them they might be allowed to kill wildlife and if u keep them in a cage or indoors all their lives then that is pretty cruel for them in my opinion so no place for cats in Oz. Just my logic as i care more for native wildlife and a baby than for extremely destructive introduced species. Either way i hope you do something decisive as the thought of cats lying in baby cot and even lying on top of warm baby for warmth and killing the baby is pretty horrifying to me. There are millions of unwanted cats so you need luck finding someone to take them off your hands. Maybe some sort of national program of giving unwanted cats to people with large snakes would help this problem a little or a new line in dog food.

As Notechistiger suggested using aviary and letting cat inside the house sometimes and close the doors is hardly full proof. just 1 slip up and maybe my idea of bag and bricks wouldnt seem too bad looking back hehe. But probably 1 in a million risk so maybe worth taking? Anyway i will stop trolling and leave you to talk about sprays and cages and hoping for the best...

goodluck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back