Views on legal ages

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think raising the drinking age to 18 will solve anything - I stopped drinking at 18 coz the novelty wore off and I was allowed to lol (not that I drank heaps all the time anyway, only occasionally at parties). If its raised to 21, that gives a few more years for it to still be "naughty" and therefore more attractive to rebellious youngens imo

The baby bonus is a really big problem! I know so many people only having babies to get the money so they can buy a car or tv. One young woman had a fight with her partner because she "couldn't hold her legs together for one more day" to get an extra 1k when it changed. This woman already had 3 neglected kids, now she has 4 and will probably keep going as long as its a cash cow :(

pretty much your views on legal ages

driving, drinking, the S word (not sure if i can say it) (and not swearing), dropping out of school, becoming a legal "adult" right to vote or anything else you can think of that i havent covered (advanced licence :) )

Driving i think should be 16 to get L's and should have them for around 2 years with averaging at least 1-2 hours each week i think would be fair (120 hours)

Drinking i guess 18 although it is to hard to control as i know a tonne people who underage drink

the S word i guess 16 with protective gear.

Dropping out of school at least SC should be needed

Adult, i guess 21

voting, i think between 16-18 could be optional and 18+ compulsory

agree disagree? add in anything else aswell

Driving - I think 18 is a good age. I'm sure most 16 year olds wouldn't agree, but I think a bit of maturity is needed to drive a motor vehicle. Can a 16 year old who has a license be charged as an adult for manslaughter if he kills someone whilst in charge of a motor vehicle?

Drinking - When you are old enough to be charged as an adult for irresponsible/illegal actions brought about by the over consumption of alcohol.

Sex - Hard one to answer or enforce. Maybe a bit more education required and let people make their own minds up.

Dropping out of school - HSC (unless partaking in an apprenticeship)

Voting - 18 minimum.

you think raising ages will change anyhting ?

this is australia we do things differetly

raising the legal age for sex get *******ed no one listens now
drinking age yet again australia not america 18 wil do kindly

and driving should be on proficiency based insted of hours because everyone lies in there book

The legal age of consent for sex is largely intended to protect young teens from older people who are in a position of power or authority, it was not dreamed up to prevent claiming of the baby bonus. The baby bonus is exploited by parents of all ages and as it is intended to encourage population growth I believe it should be completely abolished. This country is running out of fresh water and has limited habitable land 20 million is more than enough.

As for the legal drinking age, many european countries have a lower drinking age than Australia and still a lower instance of alcohol related violence than Australia or America. I work part time behind a bar and a great majority of the fights I see are between people who are at least thirty years old.

The legal driving age of 16 is suitable and fair, raising it to 18 may infact damage the employment prospects of younger people, there are a number of jobs where ability to drive is either desired or required.

On the voting....you can never have a true democracy when you are FORCED to vote! It may provide a more accurate representation of public desire, however there is also the likelihood that those people who want nothing to do with the voting, and would not have voted were it not compulsory, will simply throw their vote away at random or simply to the party already in office, with thew possibility of the vote leaning in favour of one party or another.

driving, the age should be dropped to learners at 14, license at 16. reason as kids are able to be taught more and will listen when their younger. the current age isnt working, more young people are being killed on our roads.
sex, not even going there. after the media reports this week about a 1y/o with a STD and another 12y/o pregnant.
voting, 18
drinking, 18. you cant tell someone that they have to vote and be responsible in voting what they think is the best for the country and not let them drink. but we need more education on responsible drinking aimmed at kids

driving, the age should be dropped to learners at 14, license at 16. reason as kids are able to be taught more and will listen when their younger. the current age isnt working, more young people are being killed on our roads.
sex, not even going there. after the media reports this week about a 1y/o with a STD and another 12y/o pregnant.
voting, 18
drinking, 18. you cant tell someone that they have to vote and be responsible in voting what they think is the best for the country and not let them drink. but we need more education on responsible drinking aimmed at kids

the 1 year old? could that of been passed on from birth thought like claymidia?

i dont think 14 years would be smart i know if i was14 and driving i would of probabaly died on the road if you were allowed to learn basics mabye but driving on an expressway would be highly dangerous even at 70kmph

pretty much your views on legal ages

driving, drinking, the S word (not sure if i can say it) (and not swearing), dropping out of school, becoming a legal "adult" right to vote or anything else you can think of that i havent covered (advanced licence :) )

Driving i think should be 16 to get L's and should have them for around 2 years with averaging at least 1-2 hours each week i think would be fair (120 hours)
i think l's at 16 but no p's until 20. Youngies will hate this but the same age for legal drinking and legal driving is asking for trouble in my opinion.

Drinking i guess 18 although it is to hard to control as i know a tonne people who underage drink.
18 is fine.

the S word i guess 16 with protective gear.How on earth would this be policed, dont think you could put an age on it , it comes down to maturity etc

Dropping out of school at least SC should be needed .
Year 10 complete then off to work or trade school or continue in school

Adult, i guess 21.Dependant on maturity once again, i was no adult at 21.Me about 25

voting, i think between 16-18 could be optional and 18+ compulsory Voting should not be compulsory and 18 is fine

agree disagree? add in anything else aswell

My side note is this: When you get your L's and get driving instructed lessons they teach you the basics and how to pass the test. Once you pass this basically structured test that is the last driver training you will probably do for the rest of your life..... This is absurd, there are so many rules and regs with driving that everyday you drive a car you WILL be breaking the law. I wouldn't like to be tested yearly but i have been given refresher tests with the Racv via my previous employer. Food for thought

Driving - I think 18 is a good age. I'm sure most 16 year olds wouldn't agree, but I think a bit of maturity is needed to drive a motor vehicle. Can a 16 year old who has a license be charged as an adult for manslaughter if he kills someone whilst in charge of a motor vehicle?

Drinking - When you are old enough to be charged as an adult for irresponsible/illegal actions brought about by the over consumption of alcohol.

Sex - Hard one to answer or enforce. Maybe a bit more education required and let people make their own minds up.

Dropping out of school - HSC (unless partaking in an apprenticeship)

Voting - 18 minimum.
Agree on most ,only I dont mind driving at 16 ..in a 4 cyl car and only allowed to have 1 person in the car under the age of 21 ...peer group pressure is half to blame on kids and cars ..take away the gang mentality and faster engines and must at all times be displaying P plates for 5 years ,curfew by 10pm and if your caught breaking the law either through speeding or racing or bad behaviour in general then licence taken off you untill your 21 and your car sold ...:|reason I say 16 is ,kids that live in the bush where public transport doesnt exist need to be able to get to places ..and mum and dad cant always do it .

Enjoy your youth while you can. Adulthood is a life of responsibilities then your a long time dead.

I think responsibility is something youth should have, it would avoid a lot of problems as they behave irresponsibly and have everything given to them.

the S word you cant really police without takeing away peoples freedoms so haveing an age limit on it is kinda pointless.
However putting a restriction on the gap between ages with people below the age of 18 and above the age of say 14 should be imposed. ie. persons under 18 cannot have phycicall relations with sombody any more than say 2 years the junior or senior. just my opinion tho.

i think dropping out of school again is somthing that is very hard to police. and even if it was how are you going to enforce it.
while personally i think the current victorian limit of year 10 is fine as most people are oldenough to legally hold down a job.

voteing i belive is fine most people who are old enough to vote dont understand the system let alone hopeing the majority of 16-17 year olds can get thier head from out of thier backside longenough to be able to form an intelligent opinion on the issues being raise by either party is probably hopeing to much. (note i said most)

drinking:
raising the age limit now will increase underage drinking simply because 18-20 year olds will now be considered underage it will not.

driving:
the current victorian system i find very fair and reasionable its similar in alot of ways to the nsw system there should be 0 tolerance for hoons licence ripped up permanently. a car is just a dangerous if not more so than a gun if you get caught messing around with a gun you go to jail and can never own a firearm legally again why should it be any differant with a car.

is not enough i think it should be longer and the age bumped up to 18
(i dont have a car and i dont drive and im 21 and am on m Ls and dont wont my P coz os all the idiot P platers out there)

Drinking i guess 18 although it is to hard to control as i know a tonne people who underage drink
the legal age should be 21
21 again protection or not
if SC means HSC then yer i agree 100%
Adult, i guess 21
agree
voting shouldn't be compulsory it should be optional

It should be 16 1/2 L and minimum of 50hrs driving and then when the driver is good enough

Drinking should be 21 like America, Too many kids get way too much around the same time

Should always be with protective gear but manning when will be impossible. I personally think they should wait until they are at least 16 though.
If they happen to get pregnant under 18yo then the parents should be able to be made legal guardian of the child until the parent turns 18yo

100% must do their HSC unless hey have an apprenticeship

Adult, i guess 21
Depends...
If you are sending your child on a plane or going to a restaurant they are classed an adult from the age of 13- SO WRONG
If they are classd an adult at 21 then they shouldnt be allowed to drive until then
I think an adult should be classed at 18yo

Should NOT be compulsory

is not enough i think it should be longer and the age bumped up to 18
(i dont have a car and i dont drive and im 21 and am on m Ls and dont wont my P coz os all the idiot P platers out there)

the legal age should be 21
21 again protection or not
if SC means HSC then yer i agree 100%
Adult, i guess 21
agree
voting shouldn't be compulsory it should be optional

Thank god your not my mum;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back