Views on legal ages

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
driving, the age should be dropped to learners at 14, license at 16. reason as kids are able to be taught more and will listen when their younger. the current age isnt working, more young people are being killed on our roads.
sex, not even going there. after the media reports this week about a 1y/o with a STD and another 12y/o pregnant.
voting, 18
drinking, 18. you cant tell someone that they have to vote and be responsible in voting what they think is the best for the country and not let them drink. but we need more education on responsible drinking aimmed at kids

i'm turning 14 in october and i am in no way wanting to even start thinking about driving..........my brother on the other hand:rolleyes:

but thats just my opinion i feel like i need to wait just a few more years

Driving i think should be 16 to get L's and should have them for around 2 years with averaging at least 1-2 hours each week i think would be fair (120 hours)

i think that if they are going to up the hours needed, then they should make you have to have your Ls for longer than a year. cause 120 hours is pretty ridiculous for a year.
i like 16 being the age to start getting your Ls. but like i said, they should make it 2 years on Ls and both Ps

Drinking i guess 18 although it is to hard to control as i know a tonne people who underage drink

i know loads of people who are under 18 and drink. i think the fun of it dissapears when you turn 18.
i think raising it to 21 would just cause more under-age drinking issues.

the S word i guess 16 with protective gear.

i find it hard to believe that people at 16 can make a decision the decision to have sex legally. but have to wait until they are 18 to drink.
i think drinking, on average is less of an issue than potentially having a kid at 16.

Dropping out of school at least SC should be needed

i think in NSW they are up'ing the age from 16 till 17. which for some people will be up until year 12.
i dont think you can really force someone to stay on till the HSC if they really dont want to.
im sure they'd just purposly flunk out cause they dont wannt to be there any more.
the SC is fine

Adult, i guess 21

Adult is a hard one.
Cause at most resturants (sp?) as soon as you hit 13-14 you pay adult prices?
so does that make them an adult?

voting, i think between 16-18 could be optional and 18+ compulsory

Contrary to most beliefs.
voting IS NOT compulsary atm.
only getting your name marked off is. but most people would just vote cause they are there.
i dont hink even just getting your name marked off should be compulsary.

agree disagree? add in anything else aswell

i think in a lot of these areas the age should be made all the same.
like how can a person legally be allowed to control a machine that can potentially kill MANY people, at the age of 16.
but not legally be an adult? or legally drink?

ahh age restrictions do my head in :)

the 1 year old? could that of been passed on from birth thought like claymidia?

i dont think 14 years would be smart i know if i was14 and driving i would of probabaly died on the road if you were allowed to learn basics mabye but driving on an expressway would be highly dangerous even at 70kmph

i dont think the STD was past on from birth from the media reports. the girl was given the pill and condoms, so im guessing shes sexual active which would explain the STD.
if you read my post i said 14 for a learners. that use to mean you had a fully licensed driver beside you teaching you. then id said 16 to get a license. my reasoning for the lower age is that younger kids normally listen more so are better at learning. so far the extention of the hours that you need to have as a learner before getting a license and the longer period of the new drivers must be on P plate has done nothing to reduce the road toll. the deaths of young drivers has risen. its time other options were considered. studies have shown that younger kids learn better and quicker than older kids. look at babies learning to swim or toddler being educated. this is my opinion, others wont agree. i just hope its not one of there kids that become part of the rising number of young killed on our roads. i know im doing everything i can and not sticking my head in the sand so my kids dont join that list. as i sad my opinion, be it right or wrong

the S word i guess 16 with protective gear.
21 again protection or not
Would have to change legal age of marriage then too. I was married at age 20 so if the legal age were 21.....................

I have always thought that the legal age for drinking needs to be different from the legal driving age.
Let them drink for 2 years before getting their license, hopefully the novelty of drinking has worn off to a degree and they are less likely to try combining the two

I think the driveing in nsw is fine the way it is maybe better regulation of logbooks though i know allot of ppl that have dodged there logbooks up to get the required hours, i think that there should be some restrictions on p platers haveing friends in the car while they are driveing though i lost 2 mates 3 years ago they were both 18 in a car with 3 other youngens and they hit a telegraph pole at 180kmh no one survived it really woke me up and i refuse to get in a car with anyone that drives to fast or recklessley now.
The s word hmmmm.... hard thing to police really i think more education could help and restrictions on the plasma bonus i dont think under 18's should get it and i think maybe handing out prams and cots and clothe bundles etc might be better there do seem to be a lot of young couples that have kids for the money and dont spend a cent of it on the kids when they get it
Voteing i think should be optional for 18+

Driving its a hard one some people really need to drive younger as there are no buses/train and that type of thing in all places. and mum and dad carnt always get you where you need to be. like in my case

Drinking right now its 18 or something. haha no one listens to that any way!:rolleyes:

the S word still no one listens:rolleyes:

Dropping out of school if you hav a job to go to i dont see a problem

Adult i think 18 will do

voting, who cares i really dont
cheers

and alot more sex ed in school etc! they should be pushing them to get the implant in the arm and being on the pill since a majority of 16yr olds are having sex i think that the implant should be more of an option to teens

Surely that will just convince more people to have sex without condoms, raising the rate of STIs through the roof! Getting chlamydia at 16 and ending up infertile at 25 is as least as much of an issue (and far more likely) than teen pregnancy if that suggestion went ahead. It's much harder for a young woman to insist on condoms if she is also using hormonal contraception.

Also, how healthy is it for a young woman who has not yet finished developing to have a permanent dose of extra progestogen surging through her body? I think we should be encouraging condom use, not chemical contraception for people so young.

But yes, more sex ed in schools is a must - and at home as well. Simple correlation - more open, frank discussion about sex = lower teen pregnancy rate. Simple.

i think the driving laws are all good and don't need to be changed

with drinking it dont matter no body gives a crap same with sex i think that if they haven't been able to enforce that up until now there never going to be able to

dropping out of school well if u want a good job ull stay in school then go to uni

adult age of 18 is good but i have no intention of ever becoming a adult

voting should neva be compulsary

just my opinions

Not a citizen, not registered, or just don't bother?

(I'm also against compulsory voting BTW)

I'm a proud citizen, born and bred in Australia 8) ;), just that when they lost my parents in the mail/changing of address thing when I was a kid, they lost me and my brother along with it too :shock:, so never got the letter telling me to register or the threats that I will get a fine or any of that crap when I turned 18... So guess I'm not registered :?:|, and hence I definately dont bother LOL! ;):lol::p Dont have to have compulsory days off work to vote or any of those kinds of interruptions...

I hate politics with a passion!:evil: And its great to not get threatened with fines and crap for not voting on something I dont support or agree with one bit :D
Hahaha I dont agree with the politics in/of/associated with politics its all just BS imo, there is definately a more civilised way in dealing with things than that... I find it all quite pathetic :rolleyes::x

Wow, there is a lot of support for non-compulsory voting! I remember when I was in high school and in geography the topic of voting came up. I said I was against compulsory voting and was told I was a disgrace to the nation and it is my civic responsibility to vote whether I like it or not!

Wow, there is a lot of support for non-compulsory voting! I remember when I was in high school and in geography the topic of voting came up. I said I was against compulsory voting and was told I was a disgrace to the nation and it is my civic responsibility to vote whether I like it or not!
lol I went to an all girls strict catholic school ..and was told holding a boys hand would lead to the unspeakable :shock:....wish I had listened:lol::lol::lol:

driving is the big issue ...where I live there are no forms of public transport so kids finishing year 12 ,like my son ..and wanting to get into the work force ,will need to have a licence to be able to get to work ...he is only just going to be turning17 in Oct ..and year 12 will be finished too.My daughter was still 16 when she finished year 12 as she didnt turn 17 till the Dec (as with all of my kids were either 16or17when finished)...Driving should honestly be taught in schools starting in year 8 ...so by the time year 12 is finished the teen has been taught as a daily lesson and can be confident in getting a P plate permit to drive by themselves with strict rules applying untill they are of the age 21..zero tolerance for anything they do ,whilst on the road .

i have a very simple answer for not haveing public transport (not haveing ago at any one)
get a push bike
theres nothing rong with some exersie and fresh air

i would prefer not to vote when i turn 18 it's just too much of a hassle. if they just do something to help our country i don't care who it is.

i have a very simple answer for not haveing public transport (not haveing ago at any one)
get a push bike
you obviously dont get to the bush very often ......when the nearest town is like 60 kms away ..yeah can just see it now my 17 year old riding 120 kms a day to go to work leaving home at 2 am and getting home at 12 am only to get up at 2 am again ...:shock:

you obviously dont get to the bush very often ......when the nearest town is like 60 kms away ..yeah can just see it now my 17 year old riding 120 kms a day to go to work leaving home at 2 am and getting home at 12 am only to get up at 2 am again ...:shock:

iv had to do it to get to skool but i wasent rideing 120km i was only doing 110km when i lived in bathurst

WELL times have changed and I am telling you we have road trains going along the highway here even the most experienced of bike riders wouldnt want to be doing it ... REALISTICALLY speaking I still feel it a need especially for the country kids .

get a push bike

We have 1 bus that goes in and 1 that comes out of town a day, its not much but if all you have to do is go for an appointment its a long day to be out. And it is a Looong pushbike ride to town.
But I am hoping to be living closer to public transprt when my kids need it...

Driving I think the legal age should stay as is. However I think the system should change. I think there should be a test before you change from Ps to full licence (driving or just road rules knowladge). And I don't think it's fair to blame all the P platers / young pepole for bad driving as there are so many fools on the road of all ages. I think when you renew you licence (every 4 years currently, maybe increase it to 5?) you should be sent an updated copy of the road rules and have to pass a test on them before your licence is renewed, which should include any rules that have change in the previous 4/5 years. If you fail that then you have to do a driving test like before you get your Ps and if you fail that you get bumped back down to Ls. IMO that would save a lot more lives then raising the legal age.

Drinking I think 18 is a fair age.

Intercourse (there I said it! It's not a dirty word!) I'm not really fased about but kinda aggree with Hooglabah about the gap ristrictions. a 16yr old being slapped with 'raping' a 15yr old after having consenual intercourse is a bit silly. 1 -2 years doesn't add that much more maturity,

Droping out of school - I think year 10 maybe younger so long as they have a job or an apprentenceship. Keeping a kid in school who doesn't want to be there doesn't help anyone, as has been pointed out they can't be forced into doing the work and all they will do is disrupt others learning and give the teacher hell.

Adult 18.

Voting I think 16. Mainly because I REALLY wanted to vote when I was under 18 and felt jipped. Luckly my older sisiter was going to donkey vote so I just voted under her name that year. :) I do not believe everyone should be forced to vote, because some people don't understand it or don't care (or both, see above). I still believe everyone should be asked every year for their say in the country, but it be made clear that they don't HAVE to vote ...maybe have a sign as they tick they're name off or better yet, ask them in the mail before the election "did you want to vote this year? pelase tick one only:
[ ] YES

[ ] NO
It is compulsary to return this completed form by xx/xx/xxxx"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back